IKEA's Charlotte Store

monsoon

See this on the UP Wiki: IKEA Charlotte

IKEA has issued a press release confirming that it plans to open a 345,000 sq-ft store with 1,600 parking spaces. It will be built on 25 acres at the northeastern corner of I-85 and the City Boulevard exit which has been speculated to be the location by UrbanPlanet members for several months. It will include 3 model homes and a 300 seat restaurant where you can eat their famous meatballs. It will be part of a larger 135 acre retail development.

The project will bring 400 jobs to the area.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news! Is there any chance we could get an urban IKEA within the next 5-10 years?

It would be absurd for them to build another Ikea in the same city considering our population and the fact that downtown is a very short commute down I-85 from City Blvd.

Is there 25 acres free in uptown for retail big box development? At about $6 million dollars an acre, and would be $150 million dollars for 25 acres. Don't think you will see any big box stores in uptown Charlotte using this much space.

Ikea will do well in Charlotte due to location to upstate South Carolina, Western NC, Piedmont NC ciries and Western Va.

I must say that with all of the people saying it would go to Concord Mills after months of discussions of it going to U-City, I was quite a bit nervous. I'm extremely relieved that it is going both in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. I haven't much need for what they sell right now, so my main interest in this retailer is the money it brings here, both in revenue and visitors coming specifically for it.

The sales tax revenue will be tremendous. When you consider that this is basically in the transit corridor for the hoped for and planned for blue light rail line, it makes the sales tax this will contribute to the transit system all the better.

(As to the comments about a second store: sheesh guys let's get the first one down, um, first :) ).

Indeed, that does look like the NC flag on the entrance.

I blew the photo up and while blurry it looks very similar to the Woodbridge,VA IKEA. I'm not impressed at all with the size of the surface parking lot with this IKEA. Incase any of you were wondering, the color won't be those shades of blue and yellow (to me those look hideous).

The colors should look more like this once completed:

post-11062-1169086266_thumb.jpg

As I stated in the earlier thread this is a big coup for Charlotte. This store could have easily gone to Cabbarus County and Mecklenburg would not have seen a red cent from the store. This store will bring in about $400K per year for CATS.

This also could have gone to another city in North Carolina...so Charlotte should be proud of herself today.

If you see Mayor Pat McCrory this week, he might look a little more tan than usual, at least around the nose. In the Charlotte Business Journal story today, the mayor said, "IKEA could have selected anywhere in the Southeast. We feel very fortunate they selected Charlotte." OK Mayor, you can stand up now. How embarrassing to have such a corp kiss-up as mayor. Anywhere? There are places as good as Charlotte? C'mon Mayor, a little credit to your community, no?

That is certainly a possibility and I think that the next IKEA store for NC would go somewhere on the West side of Raleigh or Eastern Durham. Unforturnately the IKEA in Charlotte means that the Triad won't be getting one for a long time. They always seem to get the shaft in the Triad.

However, one thing I found interesting is that the Observer is already betting chips that this "newfoundland" is going to become a tourist "hot spot" due to the large number of people it pulls in. What do you all think? Is this really the godsend that University City has been waiting for to push it into competition with SouthPark and Uptown/Southend? Or is this just another box in an already bursting sea of poorly planned retail big box developments? The O sure seems optimistic about what this will bring to the area. Also, the article mentions that the city is going to start construction (or reconstruction) of the weave in 2009 in response to this announcement almost with certainty. Again, I'm sure this is purely speculation, but it's a nice thought that the city remembers UC is still here.

Archived