IKEA's Charlotte Store

monsoon

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the biggest ikea fan in the thread, I have to say that I would fully support any action taken to try and convince Ikea to build their new store in a responsible manner. No store, no matter how much I like it, has the right to damage the quality of life for area residents.

The planned light rail will go between UNCC's campus and this site. I am certain there will be people going between the two. All it would take is a dolly.

I agree, though, that 'quality of life' is not the term for what I'm looking for. Instead, I'm advocating 21st Century site orientation where the part of the site for human beings is closer to where human beings will be coming from. Cars can travel a tiny bit farther. I still think it will attract whoever would use transit to the IKEA regardless of any changes, but at the same time, a better orientation could allow for that process to be less difficult.

I actually believe that if the NE extension is built when I live here, I would take the LRT to IKEA.

Well, with the bad comes the good, I'm glad that they are incorporating at least some streetside retail. Hopefully other developers will follow in suit and build along this road and city blvd promoting a more pedestrian friendly area. Having the IKEA off to the side near the interstate really does not bug me as this land would not have been developed otherwise if IKEA had been built along City Blvd. If other developers copy IKEA's plan with parking behind storefront retail and a big box in the back, I think the area would be both pedestrian and automobile friendly. I'm sure that plenty of development will pop up around this area, so lets hope that they can mimic this idea if big box has to be included.

I can't say I'm really disappointed with the site plan. It's what I expected. I never thought that this would be a pedestrian friendly urban area. It is what it is...a big box store with a big parking lot in the suburbs. I'm excited it's coming, though...very excited!

The first thing I think about when I hear Ikea is a big box store on the side of an interstate that everybody looks at as being a barometer of "we made it to the big time". The only one I have seen is the one on the NJ turpike near Liberty (Newark) airport. If you guys are complaining about this site plan then I know Ikea isn't. Imagine putting a store on one of the most crowded, industrial exits in the country. Nothing says home furnishing like container boxes and natural gas refineries...anyway I am glad that Charlotte got the store and there is nothing wrong with wanting to do it right the first time. Especially with so much anticipation and expectation that this store will bring.

The primary purpose of the LRT is to move people to and from work. That will be the largest segment of people riding the LRT.

Along those veins I think its important to note that 400 people will be working at this IKEA and those are the types of people that could ride the LRT to this store on a daily basis. The more conveinent IKEA makes this store to the LRT then the more riders there will be.

I agree somewhat, but every person isn't going to have the access to light rail. I would hate for a giant giant block around Tryon to be taken up by something that will produce little street level activity. If the city wanted to make an impact with workers they could have the light rail fork at City Blvd. and head to IBM Dr. and into the University Research Park area... then it would work for many many more employees... But I am guessing that when light rail is completed on its current design, they will bring back the University area shuttle or put a Gold Rush Trolley up there... and it wouldn't be too far of a diversion to go to Ikea as well (CATS is great about adding stops to its routes if enough people request them.)

• 1 month later...

CAN'T WAIT. I've been waiting for them to come south when I lived in Raleigh/Durham and had to drive all the way to the VA store. Since they've opened up a store in Atlanta, I've been using that store. I just moved to Charlotte 2 weeks ago and remodeling a kitchen.... spent most of last Friday at the Atlanta Ikea store kitchen dept waiting for an approval of my kitchen order (don't go there on a Friday during lunchtime if you're trying to do a kitchen order, and avoid going there all together on the weekend if you can help it!). This is my 3rd complete line of kitchen remodel and I like their product & price so it's worth the drive for me to see new items in person.

I'll be so happy to be able to just drop in for one item instead of trying to squeeze in all the shopping at once - making it such a frantic and tiring shopping experience every time I go to Atlanta. Of course most of the smaller items that you can't order online are usually out of stock when I'm there making it even more frustrating :)

Delivery of larger items like an entire kitchen is via a large freight company. When we lived in FL, it was worth paying the handling/shipping charges with no tax and having it delivered last October. Sometimes they have a special running on minimum kitchen orders. All home delivery of an entire kitchen order is done through the main store in MD.

I've ordered smaller items before and I don't think it's worth paying the shipping for if you can go to the store in person. Most of their stuff isn't like high-end, but perfect for younger more budget-conscious crowd or people who like clean-lined modern approach to furnishing. Plus their large showrooms are well-thought out and almost like pre-designed for the space you want to furnish.

That makes me wonder how they will do in this area where most people prefer (at least the natives) a more traditional Southern style to home furnishing... well, that is my opinion that homes and furniture stores around here usually look to me, more traditional rather than modern & streamlined. I like to mix and match myself.

At the ATL store, delivery starts at $49. You can rent a truck at Home Depot for $20. Or borrow a friend's pickup for a 6-pack.

Archived