Winter Storm Warning

gs3

So do you guys think we'll have the winter weather (ice, freezing rain) being predicted overnight?

Apparently most Greenvillians think so. I was in Bloom about an hour ago and the place is cleaned out of bread. Bottled waters are going fast. Firelogs can't be found. Looks like people are taking it serious.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rofl::rofl:

We haven't had a good snowfall here since 2001, that I can recall. It's been mostly ice of late. We were without power with Duke Power for only a few hours back in December, 2005. It wasn't that bad. We got to play scrabble by candlelight. :lol:

I would prefer to have some of the white stuff than any of the freezing rain or ice. We'll see how it goes. At any rate, if I'm without power, I'll be out taking some photos somewhere.

Watching WCVB the last few nights, schools up here have been canceled Monday and some on Tuesday. I've noticed when going to Hannafords that people up here freak out just as much as southerners do when there is ice. No bread, no milk, no nothing. Meanwhile enjoy your vacations, I'll be commuting to work on the train. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, even if your immediate vacinity has burried utilities, downed power lines elsewhere in the grid can kill ya. Our phone service was actually out for several days longer than the power, if I recall correctly. The crews that came in to help Duke Power out were on the ball here in T.R., but Bell South wasn't. You win some, you lose some.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED

A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST

THURSDAY.

LIGHT SNOW AND SLEET WILL DEVELOP OVERNIGHT...THEN TURN TO SLEET

AND FREEZING RAIN TOWARD DAYBREAK. SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF

SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN ARE EXPECTED WITH UP TO 1/2 INCH OF

SLEET...AND 1/4 TO 1/3 OF AN INCH OF FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE BEFORE

PRECIPITATION ENDS LATE THURSDAY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL

VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE

In December of 2005 we were without power for a total of 9 days. Falling limbs pulled the electrical cable from our house. Duke wouldn't reconnect us until we could get and electrician in to repair it. Just about the worst I ever felt was watching Duke cut our power lines, while the lights were coming at our neighbors's houses all around is. My wife broke down and cried at that point. I do not want a repeat.

As a school administrator, I absolutely hate these uncertain days. You try to second-guess what's going to happen, and usually no one is happy with the decision. When cancelling or delaying school, we will always err on the side of caution and safety. However, we also always get the calls, "Why did you keep those kids home? I ain't doin' nothin' outside!"

As an employee, however, I enjoy the ability to sleep in a bit.

Although I will gladly send my kids to school when school isn't cancelled, I do get the feeling that a lot of people are looking for any excuse to keep their kids home. One of my co-workers who lives across town IM'd me this morning and said he kept his kids home and couldn't believe Greenville County Schools were open (keep in mind, they're from Florida, so they're maybe not used to this kind of weather). :rolleyes:

We could find out late this weekend whether Duke Power has learned anything from previous ice storms. Also, when is it ever going to snow again? It always seems to be ice everytime:

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

411 PM EST THU JAN 18 2007

GAZ010-017-018-026-028-029-NCZ033-035>037-048>053-056>059-062>065-

068>072-082-501>510-SCZ001>014-019-191000-

RABUN-HABERSHAM-STEPHENS-FRANKLIN-HART-ELBERT-AVERY-ALEXANDER-

IREDELL-DAVIE-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-

CATAWBA-ROWAN-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-

TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-CLEVELAND-LINCOLN-GASTON-MECKLENBURG-

CABARRUS-UNION NC-CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-GREATER CALDWELL-

BURKE MOUNTAINS-GREATER BURKE-MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-EASTERN MCDOWELL-

RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-GREATER RUTHERFORD-POLK MOUNTAINS-

EASTERN POLK-OCONEE MOUNTAINS-PICKENS MOUNTAINS-

GREENVILLE MOUNTAINS-GREATER OCONEE-GREATER PICKENS-

GREATER GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG-CHEROKEE-YORK-ANDERSON-ABBEVILLE-

LAURENS-UNION SC-CHESTER-GREENWOOD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLAYTON...CLARKESVILLE...TOCCOA...

HARTWELL...ELBERTON...NEWLAND...STATESVILLE...MOCKSVILLE...

SPRUCE PINE...CHEROKEE...WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...HICKORY...

SALISBURY...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD...HENDERSONVILLE...

SHELBY...LINCOLNTON...GASTONIA...CHARLOTTE...CONCORD...MONROE...

LENOIR...MORGANTON...MARION...LAKE LURE...RUTHERFORD...COLUMBUS...

GREENVILLE...SPARTANBURG...GAFFNEY...ROCK HILL...ANDERSON...

ABBEVILLE...LAURENS...UNION...CHESTER...GREENWOOD

411 PM EST THU JAN 18 2007

...SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER POSSIBLE ACROSS THE WESTERN

CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER WEATHER OUTLOOK REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE WESTERN

CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA FOR SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT. AN

AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE GULF COAST SATURDAY

NIGHT THEN MOVE ACROSS THE DEEP SOUTH SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT.

PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO SPREAD

OVER GEORGIA AND THE CAROLINAS ON SUNDAY. THE PRECIPITATION WILL

BE HEAVY AT TIMES BEFORE ENDING LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.

CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS A MIXTURE

OF RAIN OR FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET. AT THIS POINT...IT IS DIFFICULT

TO DETERMINE HOW WIDESPREAD SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE.

TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO REMAIN RIGHT AROUND FREEZING DURING

MOST OF THIS PRECIPITATION EVENT. A DIFFERENCE OF JUST 1 OR 2

DEGREES WILL DETERMINE WHETHER PRECIPITATION FALLS AS A COLD

RAIN...OR WHETHER A MAJOR ICE STORM DEVELOPS.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA ALL HAZARDS WEATHER RADIO OR LOCAL NEWS MEDIA

FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING THIS DEVELOPING WINTER

WEATHER SITUATION.

$$

LANE

It may depend on whether the cold air wedge sets up deep enough and cold enough. That's how we usually get those major ice storms. There was another really big one in Dec 2002, and several in the 1990's. This system this weekend is the same one dumping up to a foot of snow on southern New Mexico and even So Texas over the next day or two. I too miss those good ole snows we used to get sometimes. We used to be able to count on a least two snows per winter, and a big one every other year or so.

I miss the snows, but I really miss the neighborhood kids all sliding down the hill in my back yard. They've not been able to do that for a couple of years. :(

Let's hope that that cold air mass wedges itself down the front side of the mountains while the moisture pours in from this system and produces some white stuff and not the ice.

I took a year of meterology when i was a senior in high school, so I know everything there is to know about weather except how it sleets, rains, and snows all at the same time when all of those things needed different levels of cold in the atmosphere to happen.

Weather around here and up through Charlotte and into Raleigh-Durham area is so unpredictable. Seems like this general area is always on "the line" regarding precipitation. Just a slight change in one or two factors could determine whether our weather is a big deal or a big bust.

On February 27th, 2004 I remember the forecast calling for 2"-4" of snow in the Charlotte area after a relatively quiet winter season. SO...of course the "official" snow total at the airport was like 11"-13" when all was said-and-done AND my neighborhood in South Charlotte was whalloped with 22"! That was the most snow I have ever seen in one event in my whole life. On March 5th it was sunny, around 70 degrees outside, trees blooming, people washing cars, etc. and decent-sized snow mounds in parking lots around the area. It went from night to day seemingly overnight.

Needless to say, I just wait to go with whatever comes our way and skip the forecasts.

Archived