South Columbus Developments

ATLman1

Housing complex planned: Southside development would overlook river

A Columbus businessman has drawn up plans for a large gated residential development overlooking the Chattahoochee River on the city's south side.

BOCO Development LLC is looking to construct 161 townhomes and apartment complexes totalling 660 units on 159 acres of land situated between the river and west of South Lumpkin Road and Victory Drive. Rigdon Park and the Oakland Park neighborhood will be to its south.

The proposed development is to include two clubhouses, pools and tennis courts, a small amount of commercial space and a 24-hour secured-access gate at its lone entrance, which will be on a road between the Bank of America branch and Family Dollar store on South Lumpkin Road.

There also will be two access points to the Chattahoochee Riverwalk, which jogs 15 miles from the city's marina in the north to the Oxbow Meadows nature area in the south. The development is expected to break ground by the third or fourth quarter of this year.

The Planning Advisory Commission unanimously recommended for approval a request by an Alabama developer to rezone nearly 20 acres of unused land on North Lumpkin Road. Homecorp, of Montgomery, is asking the city for permission to build a seven- or eight-building apartment complex next to the American Legion that would include 175 to 192 units.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well its no secrect that growth along the south end of Columbus is slow, but Metro Atlanta area based retailer the Athletes foot is buiding its first Columbus area location along Buena Vista Road next to Chef Lees and also further down Buenas Vista a new small shopping plaza is under construction near Aarons. as well as two Taco Bell resturants one on Buena Vista Rd. near Zaxbys and the other on Victory Drive where the Candlelight Motel is located. keep everybody updated if anything else comes along

• 2 weeks later...

South Columbus to get new apartments:

Atlanta developer plans two new complexes off South Lumpkin, Old Cusseta roads:

An Atlanta-based apartment developer is gearing up to construct two complexes on the south side of Columbus, catering primarily to young single soldiers at Fort Benning.

Place Properties will break ground this summer on the two projects -- one near the post off Old Cusseta Road, the other on the site of the Columbus-Fort Benning Elks Lodge off South Lumpkin Road. The apartment complex off Old Cusseta Road will be called Independence Place at Lexington Heights. Work on the 260-unit project, which will have 560 beds, should begin in June. It is being constructed on 16 acres of land overlooking a 25-acre body of water.

The South Lumpkin Road project, meanwhile, should begin by late summer. The complex will be called Independence Place at Oxbow Meadows. It will include 288 beds in 168 apartment units on a total of 20 acres. Both of the new apartment complexes will have an amenities center, swimming pool, tennis courts and special designs for the lifestyle of soldiers. That includes storage lockers in each apartment, closets for military gear, and a laundry room with a place to wash mud off gear and boots.

• 2 months later...

Major Development Planned for South Columbus:

A developer has planned an 800-unit gated community near the new National Infantry Museum. If approved, the project will begin construction at the end of the year.

• 1 month later...

Development coming to Cusseta Road

Ambling Development Partners recently announced construction of a $25.5 million residential development on Cusseta Road.

The housing complex, the Avalons, will consist of apartments and townhouses and will be situated on the 17 acres of land near the intersection of Cusseta and Fort Benning roads. The Avalons will include 250 to 270 two- to four-bedroom units that will be rented to low to moderate income families.

Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2008 and be completed by December 2008.

Ambling has said the complex will have a clubhouse, pedestrian walkways, a swimming pool, playgrounds, picnic and grill areas, a billiard room, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a cyber cafe and business center and a pavilion.

The group said apartment features include gourmet kitchens, washer/dryer hookups, open floor plans, suite style master bedrooms, walk-in closets, high-speed Internet capability, decks, patios, sun rooms, formal dining rooms and large living rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Victory Drive to welcome new hotel:

South Columbus will welcome a new hotel development to Victory Drive next year, marking yet another step toward the area's revitalization.

Atlanta-based AFCO Lodges, LLC, breaks ground Wednesday at 10 a.m. for its new project, a Suburban Extended Stay Hotel at 3666 Victory Drive. The more than $7 million project is set to open by the spring of 2008.

Offering more than 120 rooms, the hotel will provide accommodations for Fort Benning soldiers and their families as well as visitors to the National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center at Patriot Park.

The new Victory Drive hotel will feature a workout area, expanded conference center, landscape courtyard with waterfalls and a swimming pool.

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like Fort Bennings anticipated growth is attracting some new retail to south Columbus. There is construction along victory drive for several resturants including a new Burger King, Taco Bell, and Checkers Hamburgers on Victory Drive there is also a large Suburban Extended Stay Hotel under construction at the old Pondersa Motel site. Plans have also been set into effect even though nothing is in concrete as of yet to bring Ihop and Applebees along south Lumpkin road near the national infantry museum. Baker Village has also begun to be cleared out of residents for the revitilazation so it should be tore down in the coming 6-12months.

• 1 month later...

New hotel coming to Victory Drive

Rooms and restaurant to fill former location of Traffic Light Lounge

South Columbus is getting another shot in its economic arm with plans by a Georgia company to develop a hotel and restaurant at the intersection of Victory Drive and South Lumpkin Road.

Dixon Management Group Inc., which has hotels and offices in Vidalia, Ga., and Brunswick, Ga., is less than a week from closing its purchase of three acres at 3395 Victory Drive.

The property now has two vacant structures that were formerly home to a strip club called Traffic Light Lounge, a pawn shop and a tattoo business.

"We'll be taking it back down to the raw dirt. It will be a clean lot when we finish with it," Bruce Dixon, president of Dixon Management Group, said Tuesday of the demolition that should begin within two to three weeks.

On the land a four-story hotel with 80 to 90 rooms will be built. Dixon said construction should begin in early 2008 on the hotel. The cost of the project is about $7 million, which includes the property purchase of more than $1 million.

"We're in the process of selecting a franchise. We're talking with two major franchisors right now," Dixon said, declining to say which brands the company is pursuing.

Dixon Management Group already is a franchisee with two brands. It operates a Holiday Inn Express in Vidalia, a Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Brunswick and a Holiday Inn & Suites in Brunswick.

The hotel should take about two acres of the property, leaving an acre for a restaurant. Dixon is hoping to attract a privately owned eatery called Millhouse Steakhouse to the site. Millhouse has two locations, in Brunswick and Jacksonville, Fla.

"We feel the key to everything is getting food down there, full-service restaurants," Dixon said. "It's really upscale, a nice steak house... We're not sure they'll be coming, but they're interested in it."

BRAC and the new museum

The developer's interest in south Columbus came about because Fort Benning ispicking up more missions and troops from the Base Realignment and Closure process. The U.S. Army Armor School is relocating from Fort Knox, Ky., to Fort Benning by 2011, while the post's training load is already increasing. The installation looks to gain more than 30,000 soldiers, civilian employees and family members altogether.

"Usually communities are hurting from BRAC, but we knew that Columbus would be benefiting," said Dixon, who has close friends in the community who encouraged him to take a look at the city's south side.

The clincher, however, was the new National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center at Patriot Park being constructed on the edge of Fort Benning, between Benning Boulevard and South Lumpkin Road.

Asked what role the museum had in his company's decision to build in south Columbus, Dixon simply said, "It was huge."

The shrine to U.S. Army infantry is on track for a November 2009 opening, said Jerry White, chairman of the National Infantry Foundation. The facility is expected to attract up to 500,000 visitors each year.

Baker Village (tbka Baker Station) will be re-developed with 269 units (similar to Ashley Station). In addition to what's reported in the newspaper, there are other pods available to private developers for townhome/condo, single-family, and potentially comercial areas. SITEPLAN.

BakerHouses1.jpg

BakerHouses2.jpg

Total units planned -

Baker Station

HACG/Atlanta-based Columbia Residential Development Inc, 83.8 acres

269 MFR units

85 SFR

70 Duplex Condo

Elementary School

5 acres for commercial

• 2 months later...

Well we haven't discussed this topic in a while, but theres been several developments in south Columbus some large som small. First off Demolition of the Baker Village housing complex has begun the area is fenced off and crews are beginning the destruction of the complex. Also a new subdivision is under construction on Old Cussetta Road near the Washington Hieghts area of Columbus. They will be mixed income homes that will cater to younger military personal. Also Hibiachi a fast food Japanese resturant has moved into the Heritage Corners shopping center on Victory Drive. This is that franchises 2nd Columbus location in less than a year after they opened a North Columbus store on Bradley Park Drive in 2007. Waffle house is considering building it's first south Columbus location near Heriatage corners also. Finally Hotel construction is coming along on the south end of town with demolition of a former tattoo shop, pawn shop, and strip club nearly completed at the intersection of Victory Drive & South Lumpkin Road. That property will be home to a new 80 room Fairfield Inn and a resturant of some sort possibly a millhouse steakhouse. The value place is nearing completion of their second 4 story extend stay hotel on Victory Drive near Rotary Park, on that same property the skeleton of a new huddle house resturant is rising. And there are rumors to build a 4 story Holiday Inn at the intersection of Victory Drive & Ft. Benning Road at the Former Traffic Light Inn location.

Development coming to Cusseta Road

Ambling Development Partners recently announced construction of a $25.5 million residential development on Cusseta Road.

The housing complex, the Avalons, will consist of apartments and townhouses and will be situated on the 17 acres of land near the intersection of Cusseta and Fort Benning roads. The Avalons will include 250 to 270 two- to four-bedroom units that will be rented to low to moderate income families.

Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2008 and be completed by December 2008.

Ambling has said the complex will have a clubhouse, pedestrian walkways, a swimming pool, playgrounds, picnic and grill areas, a billiard room, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a cyber cafe and business center and a pavilion.

The group said apartment features include gourmet kitchens, washer/dryer hookups, open floor plans, suite style master bedrooms, walk-in closets, high-speed Internet capability, decks, patios, sun rooms, formal dining rooms and large living rooms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Its been a while since we touched on the southside of town, but good economic news for Columbus-South. There are 3 new hotels currently under construction south of Buena Vista Road and plans for at least one more on the boards. A new Microtel is being constructed at the intersection of St Marys Road and Interstate 185 north. I passed by this evening and they are already on the 4th floor of the hotel. A Fairfield Inn is also currently under construction at the intersection of Victory Drive and South Lumpkin Road. That site will also include a upscale resturant. Finally a new hotel has broken ground on Victory Drive at the location of the old Dennys Resturant no name has been given yet, but CAM builders of Hattachubee, Alabama is the builder. They just completed construction on the new Hyatt Place Hotel in North Columbus and have built several other recent hotels in the Metro area. Holiday Inn Express is also in the planning stages for a new hotel on Victory Drive at the intersection of Ft. Benning Road at the old Traffic Light Inn location.

Its been a while since we touched on the southside of town, but good economic news for Columbus-South. There are 3 new hotels currently under construction south of Buena Vista Road and plans for at least one more on the boards. A new Microtel is being constructed at the intersection of St Marys Road and Interstate 185 north. I passed by this evening and they are already on the 4th floor of the hotel. A Fairfield Inn is also currently under construction at the intersection of Victory Drive and South Lumpkin Road. That site will also include a upscale resturant. Finally a new hotel has broken ground on Victory Drive at the location of the old Dennys Resturant no name has been given yet, but CAM builders of Hattachubee, Alabama is the builder. They just completed construction on the new Hyatt Place Hotel in North Columbus and have built several other recent hotels in the Metro area. Holiday Inn Express is also in the planning stages for a new hotel on Victory Drive at the intersection of Ft. Benning Road at the old Traffic Light Inn location.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres some ideas I have for the south part area of columbus georgia first of all I am going to start off with the area by the columbus civic center.The area I want to see be improved is the apartments that sit across from the civic center I think the apartments is called booker t washington apartments or something like that.But in my opionion it would be great if they could tair and knock down them old apartments because there old and outdated.So here is my idea my idea is to go ahead and tair and knock down them old apartments and build newer updated apartments there on the same land to make south columbus look a lot better and nice with newer updated apartments.Now heres my second idea for south columbus my second idea is to work more on downtown columbus downtown columbus is way behind on its downtown because with columbus almost having 200,000 people in the city columbus georgias downtown is to small with having that many people in columbus.So my idea is to make downtown columbus bigger and niceier I would love to see downtown columbus build some highrise condos or hotels downtown that are 13 to 14 stories high in downtown to make downtown look nice and to give downtown a skyline.

below is an example of some 13 to 14 story condos and hotels that would look great in downtown columbus

springhill.jpg

City%20Front%20Terrace.JPG

redmont-ext2.jpg

F_161071_EXT_55D2CF13.JPG

L87679_EXT_01_F.jpg

01.jpg

P1010291.jpg

diamondterrace.jpg

neighborhoodSlideShow.gifneighborhoodSlideShow.gif

ParkTerrace.jpg

AvenueOne.jpg

concord_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Following photos show a new apartment complex called Avalon Apartments. They are currently under construction on land that was previously Mockingbird Trailer Court

LyYASujEDw.jpg

A3XslXLYS3.jpg

Also when I took these photos I noticed down the street that the structures have began to go up on the new housing at the former Baker Village Public housing complex. I'll try to get some photos on here sometime next week

The Following photos show a new apartment complex called Avalon Apartments. They are currently under construction on land that was previously Mockingbird Trailer Court

LyYASujEDw.jpg

A3XslXLYS3.jpg

Also when I took these photos I noticed down the street that the structures have began to go up on the new housing at the former Baker Village Public housing complex. I'll try to get some photos on here sometime next week

I think it is about 240 units and locates at intersection of fort benning and cusseta road. And the baker village is 1/4 mile south from the Avalon apartments building 148 units of phase I. Phase II(148 units)will starts to build around the April 2009. Include Phase III and IV will be 560 units.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can see that there building a new motel or hotel down victory drive its good to see that there starting to make this part of the city look good.but theres only one thing I dont understand about columbus and that is why does columbus build everything small.columbus always builds there hotels 3 to 4 storys they need to build them bigger they need to start building the hotels up higher like to 6 storys and 7 storys high.I would also love to see some highrise hotels like 9 stories to 10 stories high built down victory drive also.

Archived