Should the one way streets in downtown be converted to two-way?

GRDadof3

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should the one way streets be done away with?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another quote from Norquist:

"Pedestrian amenities: The goal here is to "design the most positive walk experience at all times of the day and at all seasons." The plan recommends more landscaping throughout the downtown, better lighting, improved sidewalks and redesigned crosswalks, and the gradual conversion of more one-way streets, which tend to speed up traffic, into two-way thoroughfares, which slow cars down -- "traffic calming," in the parlance of the New Urbanists.

"We don't want streets to be just something you blow through in a hurry," Norquist says. "A street is there to serve the properties and pedestrians along it."

I'm sort of undecided about it - and you'd have to take it on a road by road basis really.

I think for a lot of people who do not go to downtown often or are from the suburbs...it's really difficult for some to figure out how to get on the road because the one ways are so scattered around the place, and could tend for people to get frustrated and look for the expressway to go to a strip mall instead.

On the other hand...one ways could be nice for certain places like monroe center where width is an issue.

So I'm sort of for and against it...I personally think GR doesn't have a good one-way grid downtown and there's too many roads that are one-way streets in such a condensed area

Another quote from Norquist:

"Pedestrian amenities: The goal here is to "design the most positive walk experience at all times of the day and at all seasons." The plan recommends more landscaping throughout the downtown, better lighting, improved sidewalks and redesigned crosswalks, and the gradual conversion of more one-way streets, which tend to speed up traffic, into two-way thoroughfares, which slow cars down -- "traffic calming," in the parlance of the New Urbanists.

"We don't want streets to be just something you blow through in a hurry," Norquist says. "A street is there to serve the properties and pedestrians along it."

Absolutely.

One-way streets, as Ted mentioned earlier, are a remnant of the planning practices of a by-gone era. Practices that had no concern for pedestrian activity, retail activity or the viability of urbanism. They were intended for the efficient movement of traffic - the conversion of surface streets to psuedo-highways. That is what MDOT is all about, despite any rhetoric under the guise of context sensitive street design, they care about two things: how fast they can move the traffic (no congestion) and the safety of the automobile (not the pedestrian).

Remove the one-ways.

...and add on-street parking everywhere. Its good for the pedestrian, good for business, good for traffic calming and would have minimal impact on traffic flow. The benefits far outweigh the costs. For instance, why isn't there on-street parking on Monroe between Pearl and Michigan?

Absolutely.

One-way streets, as Ted mentioned earlier, are a remnant of the planning practices of a by-gone era. Practices that had no concern for pedestrian activity, retail activity or the viability of urbanism. They were intended for the efficient movement of traffic - the conversion of surface streets to psuedo-highways. That is what MDOT is all about, despite any rhetoric under the guise of context sensitive street design, they care about two things: how fast they can move the traffic (no congestion) and the safety of the automobile (not the pedestrian).

Remove the one-ways.

The one ways should definately remain that way. It's more urban and it adds more character plus it's not that confusing. If you're travelling on Ottawa or Ionia, you're on the right side relative to the other one, so it's just like being on the Beltline. Same thing with Lyon/Fountain and College/Union by Central High and Turner/Scribner by 131. The only one that doesn't have a "friend" that goes the other direction is Monroe Center. I actually think making Louis one-way towards Monroe would lessen confusion because those two would function just like Ottawa and Ionia.

One way streets give a "big city" feel, and if people are a little confused, it just makes them look around a little more or ask directions and either way they're more engaged with the city around them.

The one ways should definately remain that way. It's more urban and it adds more character plus it's not that confusing. If you're travelling on Ottawa or Ionia, you're on the right side relative to the other one, so it's just like being on the Beltline. Same thing with Lyon/Fountain and College/Union by Central High and Turner/Scribner by 131. The only one that doesn't have a "friend" that goes the other direction is Monroe Center. I actually think making Louis one-way towards Monroe would lessen confusion because those two would function just like Ottawa and Ionia.

One way streets give a "big city" feel, and if people are a little confused, it just makes them look around a little more or ask directions and either way they're more engaged with the city around them.

That's not what I meant. My point was that if people can comprehend the East Beltline, they should be able to comprehend an area with similar traffic patterns, just buildings between the two directions and significantly slower speeds.

I still say that one-way streets make an area more urban. I wouldn't call the one-way streets in Boston or London "mini highways."

Furthermore, one way streets force people to drive past different businesses as they TO and FROM their destination, so doesn't it follow that one-way streets actually increase commerce?

• 5 weeks later...

One way streets are made to move traffic quickly into and out of an area, which is not necessarily beneficial for GR. Ideally we want traffic to meander, slowly and safely moving through our city, inviting people to stop and shop, to walk around and experience the city. If people want to move faster we have that capacity too, notice the major highways dissecting the city?

One way streets are made to move traffic quickly into and out of an area, which is not necessarily beneficial for GR. Ideally we want traffic to meander, slowly and safely moving through our city, inviting people to stop and shop, to walk around and experience the city. If people want to move faster we have that capacity too, notice the major highways dissecting the city?

Archived