The Confederate flag issue rekindled

GvilleSC

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not if the sole purpose of putting those symbols in a building are so they are out of sight and out of mind. How far should we go with this? Should they level Fort Sumter and plant flowers on it because that is where the Confederacy first attacked the North and won? Should they take down the Confederate Flag there too? Erasing history, as distasteful as it might be to some, is dangerous business.

Not if the sole purpose of putting those symbols in a building are so they are out of sight and out of mind. How far should we go with this? Should they level Fort Sumter and plant flowers on it because that is where the Confederacy first attacked the North and won? Should they take down the Confederate Flag there too? Erasing history, as distasteful as it might be to some, is dangerous business.

I was not suggesting the current battle flag should be flown. It should come down given the reasons "that flag" was put there and which I spoke about above. That did not include honoring the war dead though that is given as a disingenuous justification for it being there. I would have no problem replacing it with the real confederate flag that I posted above.

We recently changed venues from Myrtle Beach to Sunset Beach in NC for our golf outings over this very issue. Although we are only a group of 50 guys that generally meet twice a year.

That being said, it always amazes me when one group of people tend to assert their viewpoints in regards to how another group of people feel or should feel. I understand heritage and pride, but that flag represents much more than that.

First of all, it's one of the first symbols you'll see at a skin head rally, KKK march, etc. Not good associaton in my opinion, but this is America, so be it.

Secondly, the confederacy LOST the war. To the victor go the spoils, you lose everything. It should've been AGAINST the law to ever fly the confederate flag in the USA once the war was complete. It should've been equated with confederacy money, NO good! Imagine if the confederacy had won the war, they would've banned the hell out the current US flag. I doubt if you'd seen it anywhere without a good ass-shalacking.

There are only two flags that SHOULD be flown on any state capitol in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. The UNITED STATES FLAG and the STATE FLAG. Period! If you want to fly it in your backyard, it's America, go ahead. But when it comes to state bldgs, government bldgs, etc., (my tax paying ass money) HELL NO!

Maybe they should compromise and fly the Black Panther flag (with a picture of Malcom X) adjacent to it. After all, that's heritage to me and lot of people died representing a cause, IMO.

As a 29 year old male who is an African American and an educator I tend to stay away from topics such as these as they tend to promote conflict whereas my job is to promote knowledge. As such, I am troubled by the lack of wisdom being shown by the leadership of both sides. It should be obvious to the state leadership that the presence of the flag on the state house grounds is drawing unwanted attention upon the state of South Carolina that has resulted in a boycott by the NAACP which has presumably cost the state economic opportunities. In a state that spends millions of dollars in incentives to lure corporations here, it seems like the legislature would take a more balanced approach to the location of the Confederate flag and its effects upon the well being of South Carolina.

My disappointment however, is not with state leadership but with the NAACP leadership. The NAACP has accomplished many things for

SimCity...you are dead on with the assertion that merely living here and paying taxes does not mean that you are a part of a functioning democracy. You err only in scope when describing the disenfranchised. White, black, red, yellow, purple, blue, or pink...the ONLY color that matters in this country is green. The top 1% ocntrol the majority of the nations wealth. The top 10% pretty much control it all. Leaving a mere 30% of the nations wealth to the remaing 90% of the people. Wanna' guess who actually controls the halls of power? Now, I will concede that everyone in that top 10% is white, but I counter with...so what??? I'm white, but that stat hasn't helped me a damm bit. My point is that you are just as equal as I am, unfortunately neither of us is as equal as that 10%.

SimCity...you are dead on with the assertion that merely living here and paying taxes does not mean that you are a part of a functioning democracy. You err only in scope when describing the disenfranchised. White, black, red, yellow, purple, blue, or pink...the ONLY color that matters in this country is green. The top 1% ocntrol the majority of the nations wealth. The top 10% pretty much control it all. Leaving a mere 30% of the nations wealth to the remaing 90% of the people. Wanna' guess who actually controls the halls of power? Now, I will concede that everyone in that top 10% is white, but I counter with...so what??? I'm white, but that stat hasn't helped me a damm bit. My point is that you are just as equal as I am, unfortunately neither of us is as equal as that 10%.

As a 29 year old male who is an African American and an educator I tend to stay away from topics such as these as they tend to promote conflict whereas my job is to promote knowledge. As such, I am troubled by the lack of wisdom being shown by the leadership of both sides. It should be obvious to the state leadership that the presence of the flag on the state house grounds is drawing unwanted attention upon the state of South Carolina that has resulted in a boycott by the NAACP which has presumably cost the state economic opportunities. In a state that spends millions of dollars in incentives to lure corporations here, it seems like the legislature would take a more balanced approach to the location of the Confederate flag and its effects upon the well being of South Carolina.

My disappointment however, is not with state leadership but with the NAACP leadership. The NAACP has accomplished many things for

According to the Census Bureau the United States is indeed becoming a minority-majority. When that happens maybe minorities can have meaningful, effective input, if they work together which is somewhat doubtful at this point. Until than however it's my opinion that the NAACP should be spending zero resources on this zero-sum game concerning the flag. Not when there are so many other issues coming to a head that are demanding our attention. We can't expect other people to show respect if we don't have respect for ourselves. Our house is not in such order yet that we have the freedom to worry about our neighbors house. Much like the United States, we are failing to take care of business at home before going abroad. The NAACP and African Americans should be concentrating on rehabiliting the criminals among us and providing them with gainful employment in developing African American business and industry. Those that refuse should be put underground in prisons constructed and managed by us. That is what the NAACP should be putting all of its energy towards. Helping to clean up the streets and neighborhoods. Simple numerical strength and political control gives them the right to fly the Confederate flag and that should be respected. We're not talking about something absolutely neccessary like Civil Rights, we are talking about the Confederate which does not infringe upon our ability to live peacefully and safely while being gainfully employed.

If the NAACP were truly concerned with the “advancement of colored people” it would seriously address the issues of drugs being sold by our own people “our modern day Uncle Toms” who would rather sell death to their own people than to go school and get a proper education and work for a living like a human being. The NAACP should address the homosexual men in our communities who are spreading HIV to unsuspecting women. The NAACP should address the “men” who go around making babies but disappear the moment they are born. The NAACP should address the lack of black owned everything because after 400 years African Americans own nothing relatively speaking even when compared to newcomers such as the Asians and Indians. That would “advance colored people” not harping on some flag that you have neither the right nor the ability to remove. With the house on fire the NAACP has no time to be outside roasting marshmallows at a campfire. The removal of the flag from the state house dome didn

Moving the flag a few years ago from atop the State House to its current, even more prominent spot is an embarrassment for our state, and an afront to me personally (and I am white). Putting it there is like saying "Oh yeah? We'll show them!" How childish! It is offensive and needs to be moved AGAIN to a more appropriate place. Our state has a problem, a deep psychological problem, with admitting mistakes and moving on. This continues to set us back . . and I feel we are running further and further behind because of it.

I think a National Museum of Slavery in Charleston would heal us, and our collective psyche, in this state. It could be like the Holocaust Museum in D.C. Not only an important and healing place for all U.S. and S.C. citizens, especially African-American, but an economic boon and, most importantly, South Carolina's best therapy for getting over this dark part of our past. We should focus on the good in our people and their accomplishments, and look only toward our bright future from that point on.

I think a National Museum of Slavery in Charleston would heal us, and our collective psyche, in this state. It could be like the Holocaust Museum in D.C. Not only an important and healing place for all U.S. and S.C. citizens, especially African-American, but an economic boon and, most importantly, South Carolina's best therapy for getting over this dark part of our past. ......

Why even have a flag flying, is the Confederate monument not enough.

I remember after the flag was moved from the top of dome to where it is now, people who were against it being moved were yelling and holding signs that said "off the dome and in your face". That sounds like hatred to me.

We will never see such a thing. The idea behind that is the incorrect presumption that somehow the descendent of every non-Black person in this country are somehow responsible for making amends for the institution of Slavery which ended a century and a 1/2 ago. I think it is a waste of time and will do nobody any good to try and assign blame today for something that took place so long ago.

Archived