The Confederate flag issue rekindled

GvilleSC

This incident shows that sense is not common. Shame on the idiot students.

If they are hateful or dumb enough to do something like this again, they should at least invite Joe Biden to come, since as a prominent Democrat he has been largely immune from flak from several racially insensitive things he has said, including this week.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree CW. I hate it when the media takes anything and over analyzes it to the point where the original meaning is lost, and what WASNT SAID becomes the story. It sucks too, because I kinda like Joe Biden. He seems true to his cause. He's not 'showy' and a media whore like many candidates are these days. Oh well.

I am not sure what news you are watching, but this has been the main topic on the major news outlets for the last few days and it was the lead story on the NBC Nightly News a couple of nights ago. A day when at least another 100 people died in Iraq. They was speculation on CNN just yesterday when Biden would be announcing that he would be withdrawing his bid because of it.

I'm not sure what to make out of this resolution as of yet, its sincerity, and what, if anything, it will accomplish, but there are several glaring omissions contained within. The first of which is the fact that the first Europeans arrived on the continent centuries before the English did. The Spanish, and Vikings are among them. Secondly Africans as slaves were brought over to the American continent at least 100 years earlier by the Spanish. I find it interesting how the ealier histories of non-English Europeans in America and the "New World' are consistently overlooked along with their contributions to the modern United States of America. For all that, this resolution does go far beyond what could be expected of South Carolina as Krazeeboi stated and for sure, the merits of such a resolution can be debated all day long.

I'm not sure what to make out of this resolution as of yet, its sincerity, and what, if anything, it will accomplish, but there are several glaring omissions contained within. The first of which is the fact that the first Europeans arrived on the continent centuries before the English did. The Spanish, and Vikings are among them. Secondly Africans as slaves were brought over to the American continent at least 100 years earlier by the Spanish. I find it interesting how the ealier histories of non-English Europeans in America and the "New World' are consistently overlooked along with their contributions to the modern United States of America. For all that, this resolution does go far beyond what could be expected of South Carolina as Krazeeboi stated and for sure, the merits of such a resolution can be debated all day long.

The Spanish were first to settle SC. Their first settlement was in Port Royal. This settlement ultimately failed, however, and the British werre the first to do it successfully. Generally speaking, northern Florida is considered the first area to be successfully/permanently settled in North America... they have found Viking villages predating everything else in Nova Scotia. But those failed as well.

The Spanish were first to settle SC. Their first settlement was in Port Royal. This settlement ultimately failed, however, and the British werre the first to do it successfully. Generally speaking, northern Florida is considered the first area to be successfully/permanently settled in North America... they have found Viking villages predating everything else in Nova Scotia. But those failed as well.

Actually the Spanish left behind many descendants which predated the English by quite some time they were located in Northern South Carolina. My ancestry includes people from groups of people known as the Brass Ankles and Yellow Hammers. This isn't much written history of these people but the theory is they were people who were captured by Arabs in the Mediterranean in the 1500s and sold to the Spanish as slaves. The Spanish brought them to the United States and left them behind when they abandoned their colonies here in SC. They ended up inter-marrying with the indigenous Indians.

More here.

This is some fascinating history. As much as I study history I've not heard of the Melungeons. This opens up a whole new dimension of southern and native history and would make for a great thesis for someone getting a doctorate in history. I may want to do some serious in-depth research on this someday.

Ok- the Spanish were the first to try to build a fort/city in SC, and the British were the first to do it successfully. This is a known fact. I think this discussion has become stuck on arguing the details of something that really has no bearing whatsoever on the confederate flag issue. Or Clemson's gangsta party for that matter. Lets get back on topic.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think that's because is a bigger deal to people in other states than it is here. Outside of this UP thread, I very rarely hear anyone talk about the Confederate Battle flag because its a non-issue. It may represent different things to different people, but the reality is that taking that flag down won't change anything except perhaps to pacify the media.

Archived