Rival Research campuses?

avery

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worrying about Raleigh, and neither am I worrying about Kannapolis or PTRP or the Greensboro nano-attempt. I'm not an industry insider or a scientist, but from what I do know I'd bet these industries are a big part of our future and we can expect them to grow many times their current size. And if Kannapolis, WS and GSO's facilities have to be half vacant for a decade or two, then fine, as long as we're ready when it is time. I assume we have a few industry insiders here, are these assumptions wrong?

• 1 month later...

It's been noted that UNCC got shafted in this years' state budget, and things like this are part of the problem. It was noted in a previous post that we don't have the necessary trained workforce in much of the state - a trained workforce doesn't happen by itself alas. Some rethinking in how and where we invest in education is getting to be necessary.

These little research parks are all fine IMO - they seem like dubious propositions in a lot of ways, but no moreso than throwing zillions in incentive promises around, or scheming up some new interstates to nowhere. Those other options are politically easy and glitzy (so far at least), but we need a deeper rethink of a lot of things. The success of Charlotte and RTP in certain industries has been spectacular, but I don't think we'll really solidly emerge as a national or international leader until we get most of the rest of NC out of old economies, and this is long-term and tougher to fix. And a widening economic divide in the state will undercut our successes - the state (not just one or two discrete places in the state) has to transition away from old/dying/low wage economies, or we will get blown away.

Rather than going for big-splash announcements, our leaders need to give greater, long-term emphasis to several other things - improving the infrastructure we already have, beefing up and possibly expanding our educational system in major ways, spotlighting entrepreneurship, and communicating the importance of continuing education at all levels around the state.

I'm not too worried about the other parks. The triangle has become so much more than just RTP, that I doubt the impact of new parks not that far away will be all that great, if anything. We have many powerful and influential companies here that are well entrenched and attract dozens of smaller companies. We also are experience a building boom in downtown Raleigh, which it increasingly becoming a magnet (not to mention Progress Energy acting somewhat like a recruiter at times, which I think the city benefits from greatly) and to some extent, Durham is experiencing a building boom as well. Our peripheral cities around Raleigh are exploding as well. We also have 3 major research universities, which will always be a major draw. In conclusion, all is well in the Triangle :)

Rather than going for big-splash announcements, our leaders need to give greater, long-term emphasis to several other things - improving the infrastructure we already have, beefing up and possibly expanding our educational system in major ways, spotlighting entrepreneurship, and communicating the importance of continuing education at all levels around the state.

There's problem #1. Easley trots out to make a nice flashy presentation every time there is a hint of jobs created, no matter how big or small. The Google thing was just rediculous--but something that he will try to use to his political advantage.

I mean, I agree with you, but the more and more I get educated on the issues we face as a region, state and nation, the more I realize just how good our politicians are at NOT actually solving any of our problems... unless it becomes a crisis.

I'm surprised their is not an Automotive Research component...playing off the heavy Nascar influence in Mooresville/Concord area. From automotive batteries, oils, engines, etc., there are numerous possibilities to help NASCAR as well as the everyday vehicle.

Archived