IKEA skips Triangle

dombalis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh-Durham's IKEA is coming, perhaps a decade away, but eventually. IKEA says it needs nearly 2 million or more in a metro area to support it's stores. Charlotte didn't meet that qualification just a few years ago, but now does. Moreover, it seems IKEA was really impressed by the fact that Charlotte is a more centralized city wherein people from NC, SC, even VA come to visit and shop. I think the fact that Charlotte is a two-state (NC/SC) city able to draw into upstate and midland SC and even up to the Triad and Southside VA really impressed them. I think that to some extent, the fact that the Triangle has two major dispersed cities, Durham and Raleigh, sort of worked against the Triangle in this case. Once the Triangle's metro population goes above 2 million, that should be less of a concern.

I can understand why people want IKEA for the area, due to it being another store and more choices, etc. What I don't understand is the fasination with IKEA furniture in general. I used to live close to the IKEA in Northern VA and I never once went there. My family members have purchased items from there and IMHO the products are of poor quality for the most part. I just don't understand why people would drive 4 hours to buy crappy furniture? That's just me though. I wouldn't drive 4 hours to buy good furniture either.

Too bad the Triangle didn't get the store though. I guess I'm quickly learning that Charlotte is the be all - end all of NC. I'm glad I moved tro Raleigh though, to me it seems like a much nicer area.

^one of the biggest things for the city in the 90s had to of been when the panthers came to town (in 95). just my opinion, i'm no expert, but with football being the powerhouse industry that it is, and with the panthers being good within the last few years, it creates national exposure and only raises a cities image (people get to see those nice buildings in high def every home game). i'm sure the hurricanes have the same affect with raleigh, but unfortunately hockey is not as popular as football. i strongly believe that successful sport teams and events in a city stir the local economy in many positive ways.

i'm sure there are other factors and i know this isnt the direct cause of ikea moving there but its just a thought. personally i try and stay out of any raleigh vs. charlotte talk, keyword "try". both cities are unique in each way.

also i've never been to an ikea so maybe i dont know what i'm missing, haha

Raleigh and the Triangle as a whole has become complacent as far as attracting retail over the years whereas Charlotte has targeted specific retailers thay want such as the Crate and Barrel, Ikea, etc. Honestly there is nothing spectacular about these stores but the marketing makes an impression of sophistication which sells in the US these days. Furniture at Ecko and Ambiente is much more interesting and unique than Ikea but is a bit more expensive. I personally like Ikea but the quality is questionable and overall its disposable furniture.

Charlotte dosen't always get the hipper Stores. We had a "Crate and Barrel" long before Charlotte got one; The triangle has the States first "Trader Joes" . And we got Saks and Nordstroms in the Triangle before Charlotte. There still is no Nordstroms planned for Charlotte although they do have a Neiman Marcus. There are also some smaller Stores and Resturant's we got first here too. "Archiver's, Mimi's Cafe'(March '07 TTC area)

This morning on the way into work I heard a song about Ikea on WKNC this morning. I don't know if that was in response to the Charlotte announcement or not.

The chorus has the line "Ikea: selling furniture for college kids and divorced men". The triangle has more college kids, but Charlotte might have us beat for divorced men. As someone who falls between "college kid" and "divorced man" (early/mid 30s, never married, though I am engaged...) I am quite attracted to Ikea's cheap, do it yourself furniture. Charlotte does have "shopping as entertainment" covered with Concord Mills and SouthPark, and the South Carolina proximity. That will give them the edge going forward in attracting new store concepts for the near future.

My coffee table came from the Atlanta store and my dresser was shipped from my fiancee's friend near the Maryland store. I'm happy with both pieces -- quite sturdy, as well constructed as anything coming from the Far East, and inexpensive. Their home furnishings are for the most part simple. Whether you like that style is a matter of personal taste. It is little more than a glorified Target, trading clothes, electronics, toiletries, etc. for furniture, houswares, etc. Though that is more than enough to attract people by the busloads.

The Triangle's lack of regional cooperation gave us no chance of getting an Ikea. Unless something dramatic happens, Raleigh will get the "in ten years" Ikea, but where will it go? It depends on developement patterns in the next 5-7 years. 40/Wade would be ideal, as it has eas I-40 access, but I could see it ending up off 540 in southwest Wake county, if there is any land left then.

Wow in my opinion, folks up here are seriously overreacting relax, this was a real coin toss that Charlotte won, so let's give the Queen City "PROPS" for aleast bringing this store to North Carolina,and yes I wanted it to be built here also, but you win some and you loss some, how fast people forget about all the first for North Carolina retail stores the Triangle has and will have in the future. :shades:

What I don't understand is the fasination with IKEA furniture in general. I used to live close to the IKEA in Northern VA and I never once went there. My family members have purchased items from there and IMHO the products are of poor quality for the most part. I just don't understand why people would drive 4 hours to buy crappy furniture?

How much time is this really going to save you? How long does it take to get to the VA store? It takes me right at 3 hours to get to the Charlotte location of IKEA.

I was thinking...in the early 90's, were were really beating CLT for neat national stores. In the late 90's it was about a dead heat. I think this decade they are clearly winning. :(

its funny that people tout the crate and barrel store appearing first in raleigh a few years ago as an upstaging. When they opened in Charlotte, it turned out that the wait was for finding the perfect location to build a very large, high profile, freestanding store at southpark. the tiny store at crabtree pales in comparision.

My point is, retailers dont see the competition, they just choose where the easiest entry is...especially when the demographics are strong in two locations. in that case, they were just holding out.

Honestly, I thought IKEA belonged in the triangle 1st with all the students in the area.

Not that it really matters but our Cheesecake Factory opened up a year or 2 before yours did.

Once yall come down to the IKEA store in Charlotte know that part of your money will be going to the good cause of Mass Transit in Mecklenburg.

I posted this in another thread but the next IKEA for NC will be coming to the Triangle...and that will happen sometime in the next decade.

Why are people so surprised that the Triangle didn't get an IKEA?? Looking at the other US metros where IKEAs are located and it tells you all you need to know. IMO. Compare the populations of the metros: ATL (4.5 mil), Washington DC/Bmore (8 mil, 3 IKEAs), Dallas (6 mil), Houston (5 mil), CHI (9.5 mil, 2 IKEAs), and any of the larger metro areas in CA to that of the Triangle (1.5 mil.... similar population as the Triad). It's no question why RDU didn't get picked. The CLT metro area already has a few of the state's largest tourist attractions which is likely another reason why it was chosen for NC's first IKEA.

Archived