IKEA skips Triangle

dombalis

I'm not surpised they are going to Charlotte. If there was a "coin toss" for this store, Charlotte called heads, it came up tails, and no one in the Triangle or Triad worked out a land/road deal, so Charlotte won. Raleigh needs to absorb all the development along the 540 corridor (especially around Capital Blvd and now 64) before it could justify an IKEA. Durham gave the Southpoint and South Square projects a hard time while getting approved, and Chapel Hill would never let them in the town's borders.

IKEA is coming to NC because they know a lot of sales online and at other stores come from NC zip codes. They are building in Charlotte because there is a lot of "new money" there now and more on the way.

I'm glad it will be close enough to do in a day trip, yet far enough away to resist impulse shopping! Shopping there will a) increase funds received by the transit tax and b) show IKEA that Triangle area shoppers want to buy their stuff. It would take a lot for me to make a trip the Atlanta or DC stores, but the Charlotte store is close enough to make at least a once a year pilgrimage from Raleigh. 85's south bypass around Greensboro makes the trip shorter. The location is on the north side of Charlotte city limits, but well within the "metrolina" area. There is plenty of time to start saving up money for mid/late 2009 -- I wouldn't try to go during the store's first three months.

The store's layout of small aisles puts you near a lot of things you otherwise wouldn't notice or consider picking up. Their space efficiency room models are something that words won't do justice.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are people so surprised that the Triangle didn't get an IKEA?? Looking at the other US metros where IKEAs are located and it tells you all you need to know. IMO. Compare the populations of the metros: ATL (4.5 mil), Washington DC/Bmore (8 mil, 3 IKEAs), Dallas (6 mil), Houston (5 mil), CHI (9.5 mil, 2 IKEAs), and any of the larger metro areas in CA to that of the Triangle (1.5 mil.... similar population as the Triad). It's no question why RDU didn't get picked. The CLT metro area already has a few of the state's largest tourist attractions which is likely another reason why it was chosen for NC's first IKEA.

Alright.... I just don't see NC having 2 IKEAs within a 2.5 hours drive in 10 years. I really don't. Cali? Yes. It's the most populous state. Texas? Of course. 2nd most populous state in the US. NC? I say 15 years minimum, however, it will probably be less than that because I think IKEA will soon be known moreso as a mall/shopping center anchor like Target or Macys, etc... Who knows. In 15 years, the CLT, Triad, and Triangle metros may be one big cluster f*** anyway, so it won't matter in the first place. :unsure:

The Austin-Round Rock metropolitan area is the smallest metro with an existing IKEA presently. THe other 28 locations are pretty much top 25 metropolitan or Combined Statistical areas. In some cases, some metros have mutliple locations, like San Fran or Chicagoland. It is important to remember that IKEA says that just a few years ago, Charlotte was too small to support an IKEA. Raleigh-Durham's even more robust population growth and high income means that it is just a matter of time before that region snags an IKEA.

Actually, Charlotte doesn't have 2 million people yet. More like 1.6 million. IKEA says that it went with Charlotte anyway because they will be at 2 million not too far down the road.

I can understand why people want IKEA for the area, due to it being another store and more choices, etc. What I don't understand is the fasination with IKEA furniture in general. I used to live close to the IKEA in Northern VA and I never once went there. My family members have purchased items from there and IMHO the products are of poor quality for the most part. I just don't understand why people would drive 4 hours to buy crappy furniture? That's just me though. I wouldn't drive 4 hours to buy good furniture either.

Too bad the Triangle didn't get the store though. I guess I'm quickly learning that Charlotte is the be all - end all of NC. I'm glad I moved tro Raleigh though, to me it seems like a much nicer area.

• 3 weeks later...
It's nothing but big box retailer in the same vein as Circuit City, Walmart and Home Depot. When each opened they were considered the "neatest original stores out there" as they were the first to create the type of concept or they improved it radically. Yet they are responsible for a huge amount of the horrible automobile based sprawl out there and IKEA in the USA is no different. They are going to bulldoze down 130 acres of greenfield to create this huge box and it will include 1600 parking spaces on an asphalt parking lot. It's neighbor will be a Super Walmart.

I would have been much more impressed if they had decided to build something more environmentally friendly and/or had chosen to develop an existing brownfield of which there are plenty in Charlotte due to past "neatest original stores" abandoning these places because they went out of business or moved to something bigger. From an environmental, sustainable, urban development perspective, this store is a disaster, albeit one with a very good marketing department. They have convinced people that buying prepackaged furniture produced in third world countries in an unsustainable manner is a good thing.

Well, the point that I was originally trying to make to the other guy who posted about how he just didn't find the thrill in going to IKEA, yet he had never been in one to accurately judge it. That was my point. If you want to carry it on to the whole environmental/sprawl/big box issue, then on that I would agree and always have. But there is little we can do to stop any such development so I would rather have an IKEA over other dud retailers, if we are in fact forced to have one.

OH...and I don't recall ever hearing anyone labeling Wal-Mart as a neat and original store, especially when we already had Roses, KMart, and others around. The only thing that Wally World added which boosted their fan base was the "Supercenter", which of course other competitors are quickly following suit to imitate. I have always thought Wal-Mart was a piece of junk store ever since I first walked into one of their original brown and orange colored brick stores back in the day. I don't think that we will see a strong competitor emerge anytime soon that will attempt to compete with IKEA and their cult following.

I've never been to an Ikea so I'm not qualified to discuss the store, but... I did visit some friends in ATL this past weekend and one had a set of Ikea furniture and most of it was falling apart. Her bed had a hole in it from when they were trying to move it. Most of the materials were very thin wood--stylish, but thin and seemed like they would not last. Of course, I realize that's purely anecdotal.

Anyway, that's not meant to be a CLT or RDU comment, just my only experience with their products. I think Charlotte is a little bit bigger market at this point in time, and has some advantages in terms of a more concentrated population base with Charlotte in the middle, whereas in the Triangle, the demographics are great, but more spread out.

If I'm around in 3 years, I'll have to go check out what the fuss is about.

That is why I wonder why so many people are fascinated with this store on this site when by almost any measure, they support a consumerist disposable lifestyle that thrives on cheap labor manufacturing junk. Their stores are big boxes surrounded by acres of parking and mostly located in the middle of sprawl. Almost anything you can say about Walmart, which is mostly derided by UrbanPlanet forumers, you could say about Ikea.

IKEA in the state of NC is a slap in the face. NC is home to some of the most prestigious furniture mfg. in the world. I'm glad this store has chosen CLT as its home. Let the people there buy their kmart quality furniture.

I will stick with my High Point brands.

That is why I wonder why so many people are fascinated with this store on this site when by almost any measure, they support a consumerist disposable lifestyle that thrives on cheap labor manufacturing junk. Their stores are big boxes surrounded by acres of parking and mostly located in the middle of sprawl. Almost anything you can say about Walmart, which is mostly derided by UrbanPlanet forumers, you could say about Ikea.

Like Jones says, if NC furniture makers delivered products that lower middle class and below people could afford, IKEA would not be as successful as they are. They have simple, contemporary designs at an affordable price. The Wal-mart/K-Mart/Target "build it yourself" furniture similar to IKEA's has given assembly required funiture a bad reputation. Selling disassembled furntiure makes it a lot more efficient to ship and keep in inventory, which helps keep prices down.

IKEA sticks to what it knows -- furniture and accessories. I hate Wal-Mart because they extend their "low price at any cost" model to everything in the store. Instead of IKEA's focus, Wal-Mart is all over the place, both in products and physical locations. I haven't heard any stories where IKEA sets its schedule to make a lot of its employees only part time to avoid giving them benefits, or told its employees to go on Medicare. Wal-mart has a history of doing both of these. Wal-mart brags about how it purchases only from the lowest cost supplier. This led to manufacturing jobs sent to countries with sketchy human rights and environmental laws to reduce costs. These "savings" are only partially passed on to the customer. Millions of manufacturing jobs, and their support jobs, are gone.

Wal-Mart opened more US stores in January 2007 (70) than IKEA has opened. The 1,100 Wal-Mart stores average 110,000 square feet and ofer 120,000 items. I don't know if IKEA has ever closed a U.S. location, yet Wal-Mart has contributed to blight, leaving empty husks of former stores across the country so they can open a supercenter a mile or two down the road.

Is it a pissing contest when Charlotte feels obligated to brag about anything it gets and put down accomplishments from anywhere else in the state? When the Panthers go to the super bowl, everyone should care, but when the Hurricanes win the Stanley Cup, no one should. A post earlier in this thread wants to include CPCC and lesser knows schools in Charlotte's student population, yet reduces the Triangle to just the "three famous schools".

Hey fellow niner, don't put Charlotte down too much when it comes to college age population. Sure, the Triangle has the state's three most famous schools (sorry Wake) but the Charlotte metro is home to a lot of college aged people. Remember, there are a lot of lesser known colleges in and around Charlotte that most wouldn't think about. And, the worst part about that is the vast majority of those schools (Charlotte and Davidson withstanding) have little, if no on-campus housing. Thus, more students in need of furniture. I'm sure the Triangle takes the cake on the number of students, but not "college age." You have to remember that CPCC is the second largest community college in the country, that's a lot of college students too (even if they aren't all 20ish.) And plus, of metros of our size (meaning Charlotte and the Triangle,) the student population is merely a small slice of the pie in comparison to the overall population.

IKEA is not just a furniture store. Like I posted earlier, my wife and I took over 3 hours to get through the place. I particularly like their storage containers, lighting, and kitchenware. A friend has their kitchen cabinets and really likes them.

Most IKEA stores are on stilts with their parking underneath. Any Wal-Marts with that arrangement?

Finally, if you want furniture that is of today's chic, are you really going to spend a bunch of money for something that far outlasts the style? So, how's that Early American furniture, especially beds with hand-carved eagles on the bedposts, looking these days? Strong...but dated.

Does that somehow make it more environmentally correct or better from an urban development standpoint. Again I am surprised at the free pass they get from members on this forum just because their stuff is "trendy" and some believe it is a status symbol for a city to get one.

Does that somehow make it more environmentally correct or better from an urban development standpoint. Again I am surprised at the free pass they get from members on this forum just because their stuff is "trendy" and some believe it is a status symbol for a city to get one.

Archived