PETA

lil-bear

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the whole buy cheap property and then make a profit off of it's re-sale against the who non-profit thing?

I mean isn't PETA busy enough throwing red paint on people who wear fur and protesting KFC in Norview?

I think that the article hit the nail on the head by calling PETA "corporate terrorists".

Everyone has a right to their opinion and beliefs, but they shouldn't force them on anyone who feels otherwise! <_<

Isn't the whole buy cheap property and then make a profit off of it's re-sale against the who non-profit thing?

I mean isn't PETA busy enough throwing red paint on people who wear fur and protesting KFC in Norview?

I think that the article hit the nail on the head by calling PETA "corporate terrorists".

Everyone has a right to their opinion and beliefs, but they shouldn't force them on anyone who feels otherwise! <_<

Churches own the property that they use for religious purposes.(schools, shelters, etc.)

All humans have one thing in common, Free Will. Yes there are some fantatics out there, but a need to stereotype all groups of faith is indeed unfounded!

PETA has numerous properties in the area including residential buildings that have tenants.

What point I was getting across is that PETA's mission is to ensure that animals are treated humanely.

(The means at which they promote their beliefs are crude, but sometimes effective in getting their point across.)

Where does buying and selling commerical building and owning residential rental buildings have to do with their purpose?

Seems to me that an orginization who has ethnical in their name may be suspect to being unethnical in their practices.

Little grounds for comparison between churches and PETA.

Being a non-profit organization doesn't mean that no money passes through the organization, or even that it's employees are unpaid - it just means that surpluses are reinvested in the organization rather than divided up amongst the interested parties (owners, shareholders, etc.). PETA has a huge annual budget and it stands to reason that the larger their budget is the more they can accomplish. The income from these properties is not "profit"; it is not lining the pockets of a rich CEO. It is channeled back into the organization to increase their working budget.

Also, PETA is responsible for a lot of good things on top of their media events. They are an invaluable resource to this community. If you ever find a lost or abandoned animal on the road, you can be certain that they will care for it and find it a good home. They distribute food, hay, etc. for free to the community. And, using their "corporate terrorism" tactics, they are able to bring attention to abominable business practices that companies would otherwise be able to conceal from the general public. Businesses have unbelievable power and autonomy in the United States; I will never lose sleep or waste a minute of anger over PETA inconveniencing businesspeople by confronting them with their worst practices. Likewise, people who wear fur, visit the circus, eat meat from large vendors, etc. (and I include myself in the last two) should be confronted with the facts about the products they consume that they block out or try not to think about. Is it acceptable to throw paint on somebody's fur coat (to destroy their property)? Of course not, but I've never known PETA to condone that. Their tactics are frequently antagonistic and confrontational, but they are not destructive or outside their legally protected right to express their beliefs. In that way, the church analogy is entirely appropriate.

Churches own the property that they use for religious purposes.(schools, shelters, etc.)

All humans have one thing in common, Free Will. Yes there are some fantatics out there, but a need to stereotype all groups of faith is indeed unfounded!

PETA has numerous properties in the area including residential buildings that have tenants.

What point I was getting across is that PETA's mission is to ensure that animals are treated humanely.

(The means at which they promote their beliefs are crude, but sometimes effective in getting their point across.)

Where does buying and selling commerical building and owning residential rental buildings have to do with their purpose?

Seems to me that an orginization who has ethnical in their name may be suspect to being unethnical in their practices.

Little grounds for comparison between churches and PETA.

I lived in a house owned by a church in Norfolk for which I paid rent. And being as the church in question owned many of the houses on my street and the street behind me, it was not an anomoly. There are many churches that own property and it is not always used for non-profit purposes. Sometimes they sell properties too and the profit goes into the organization and not into shareholders' pockets. Churches have bazaars and fund raisers that charge more money for items than they are worth, but that is not questioned as unethical because it is going to the chuch coffers.

I think you need to dig a little deeper before making assumptions... I don't think that I said anything about anyone being fanatical. Technically, I was not even referring to all faiths as only Christians worship in churches. The only thing I think I am saying is that you are judging PETA by one standard and religious organizations by another. I personally don't have anything against churches or PETA (in fact I find it funny that we have PETA and PAT in the same area). But going on about how they own land and how they are unethical for owning land makes no sense to me.

^ In relation to churches, however, (and I really believe that is a good analogy), Trinity Episcopal Church in New York City might be the wealthiest parish on earth. Founded over 400 years ago, it's members form a who's who list of great Americans. Many of these members left property to the church over time. Today, Trinity is one of the largest real estate holders in that part of Manhattan. It buys and sells---and that money is funneled back in to help the poor and help plant other churches throughout the USA---I've heard they've started over a thousand churches. The point is, many would say that a church should not be in real estate, but in Trinity's case, they've used their assets to help people, not only in New York, but all over America.

I don't agree with everything PETA stands for, but I agree with much of it. I remember a couple of years ago when the PETA girl came to town protesting the circus. Very much agreed with her on that issue (and so did a lot of other people you might no normally characterize as being PETA supporters).

It seems you have something against PETA and then started this thread to pick them apart.

PETA can own land that has nothing to do with their primary mission if they so choose, as long as they use the profit made from that land for their programs. There are a lot of companies that have very large ventures that most consumers are not aware of. GMC, for example, has a very large banking operation... yet most Americans think of GMC as an auto-maker. DITECH.com, which services homeowners in refinancing their homes is owned by GMC, for example.

I dont really like PETA or agree with most of their messages, but i think they should be able to own what ever they want and talk about what they want. As long as they dont infringe on anyone elses rights, then they can do what ever they want.

I think you can treat animals ethically and still eat them :)

PETA is opposed to hunting, but I am a strong supporter of hunting rights. I find it much more respectful to the animal to go out into the woods, stalk the animal, shoot it, and then eat the meat. I think we need serious reform in the way we treat the animals that we eat. The fact that we have to irradiate or cook our meat to certain temperatures in the name of efficiency is just sad.

So, I'm not sympathetic to PETAs cause, but I still think buying beef from Wal-Mart is about the most repulsive thing a human being can do. (speaking in relative terms here)

We dont buy any food from wal mart!

Im pretty much with you on this. I dont think we should just go around clubbing baby animals, but i hunt a little bit, and i like leather shoes and coats, and i dont really care if you wear fur.

I'll repeat what the Colorado Governor said --

They are a "bunch of losers" and "frauds." While not all PETA members are certaintly "losers", the non-profit itself is nothing short of a fraud. :whistling:

Isn't it suprising they pick and choose their battles? So now we don't feed freezing cattle that would otherwise die? Using that logic, we shouldn't be saving all the cute little scrawny puppies and cats that litter the roadway?

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/3212

And to those who buy food in general at a Wal-Mart... :sick: Support your local grocery chains if possible and buy local. Farmers markets often have nice meat (some 'organic') for sale.

/a huge animal lover... and eater.

PETA's 'gay ram scam'

Hilarious title, but sadly true. Here is one quote that I find is true with other scientific organizations. You can use the same quote, with minor modifications, to fast food restaurants, big-box stores, ranches, etc.

"...instead of doing scientific work, Dr. Roselli and his colleagues have been putting out media brush fires..."

• 2 weeks later...
A huge number of non-profits are nothing more than a front to make tax free money. As someone posted earlier, it isn't like the employees aren't paid. CEO's of many big non-profits make huge salaries.

A college friend went to work for the American Cancer Society after graduating and resigned six months later in disgust. He told us that every manager in his group had a company paid luxury car, the attended dinners and events for themselves all the time, and basically lived a great life from money donated to fight cancer. This is one reason it is recommended, when choosing where to donate money, to ask for an independent audit that shows how much or what percentage of your donations go to actual programs and how much is allocated for overhead, advertising, and management -- you might be really surprised.

This is why my donations go to Habitat for Humanity -- the money stays in the area where it was donated, they have small staffing and most management (at least here in Charlotte) are retired business people that draw NO salary, and you can drive by and see the program at work any time you choose.

I suppose, then, that you have never seen a christian protest at a gay event, or a pride ralley, or an abortion clinic. Those folks are some of the most bitter people I've ever seen. There is a Reverend Phelps that likes to travel the country with signs that say "AIDS kills (f)ags dead" and "God hates Gays". His beliefs are far from being kept inside his church.

Maybe no one has knocked on your door asking you to talk with them about your personally held beliefs. Churches most certainly force their beliefs all over everyone all the time. What about all the religious "right" that have direct lines to the president? Is that just so they can catch up on possum hunting in Texas? NO -- it is to discuss their political agenda (with what many would catagorize as "blackmail" and "extorsion"). Isn't the whole mission of most christian churches to "save" everyone? How will they save them if they don't get their message out there and just wait for you to come hear it in church?

This isn't to say that ALL churches try to ram their beliefs down everyones throats, but plenty do. It would be nice if more of them were like the Latter Day Saints, I actually think their simple messages in commercials I've seen and the simple placement of Bibles in hotel rooms is a respectful and passive way to outreach, unfortunately plenty of others take the other stance for "forcing" their beliefs in your face.

Archived