Greenville on WikiMapia

gs3

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added a couple of labels for some of the old textile mills I know the location of. I see someone labeled the others. I labeled Dunean and Judson. I'm not sure if the more "modern" one at White Horse Road and I-185 counts or is in the same class but it's nice to see the "textile" crescent I have heard referred to illustrated in this unique way. You can see the older "brick with wooden floor" mills do form a crescent on the western half of a circle about a couple mile radius from the town center. I know some of the old mills are being turned into Loft housing which is great to see. Would it be ok if we could at least label these Loft developments as "such and such former mill"? This is very important to the history of Greenville.

That being said it would also be interesting if their was a "historical layer" that could be turned on and off show you could show for example where the Cash and Carry used to be or the Krispy Kreme that used to be where Augusta turns into main.

There is obviously at least one idiot playing around on the Greenville area wikimapia. I'd like to think it isn't someone from UP, but I've seen such stupidity here before. There was yet another UP addition, only this time a smaller one. I found it on Faris Road, between Cleveland Street, and Augusta Road. There are quite a few other additions needing the thumbs down, so be vigilant. :rolleyes:

I added a couple of labels for some of the old textile mills I know the location of. I see someone labeled the others. I labeled Dunean and Judson. I'm not sure if the more "modern" one at White Horse Road and I-185 counts or is in the same class but it's nice to see the "textile" crescent I have heard referred to illustrated in this unique way. You can see the older "brick with wooden floor" mills do form a crescent on the western half of a circle about a couple mile radius from the town center. I know some of the old mills are being turned into Loft housing which is great to see. Would it be ok if we could at least label these Loft developments as "such and such former mill"? This is very important to the history of Greenville.

That being said it would also be interesting if their was a "historical layer" that could be turned on and off show you could show for example where the Cash and Carry used to be or the Krispy Kreme that used to be where Augusta turns into main.

A couple of reasons I am interested in this is 1.) I want to see the history of our town preserved and despite the fact a lot of those areas of town have become run down I think they have great potential to be revitalized. I'm glad the Loft developments are at least preserving a couple of the more interesting looking Mills. 2.) My grandparents on both side of my family worked in the Mills which means my parents also grew in the villages. I love the time I have been riding around town with my dad and he points out places he used to live and the nicknames of a lot of places. He was born and lived in Piedmont for a short time when he was little but most of his growing up years he lived in several of the mill villages around town.

This morning I attended the first "official" meeting of the Greenville Textile Historical Society with him and and about 50-75 people were in attendance. The have several goals including producing books, recordings, etc. and a big long term place is to build a Textile history museum in Greenville. I may be helping them with some of these projects, especially some web and print stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived