Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneSweetWorld

Direct Selling Companies

8 posts in this topic

I had this guy come to my house last week to show my a vacuum called the Rainbow, and I was actually very interested in what he had to show me (how dirty my house was and why my bag-vacuum wasn't doing the job.) When I first agreed to let him in, I was a little annoyed, and wasn't looking forward to it, but I was actully very happy that I did. Has anyone else had a direct selling company do an in-house demonstration for them? If you did, what do you think? I'm thinking I might want to look for a job in direct-sales; it actually looked fun.

I had this guy come to my house last week to show my a vacuum called the Rainbow, and I was actually very interested in what he had to show me (how dirty my house was and why my bag-vacuum wasn't doing the job.) When I first agreed to let him in, I was a little annoyed, and wasn't looking forward to it, but I was actully very happy that I did. Has anyone else had a direct selling company do an in-house demonstration for them? If you did, what do you think? I'm thinking I might want to look for a job in direct-sales; it actually looked fun.

My wife has both attended and hosted (for another seller) some direct selling "parties". I have a distaste for direct selling, which is sometimes also part of a multi-level marketing business. And I despise MLM. If you host for another seller, you can get some freebies depending on the amount of sales generated. A couple of things bug me about direct selling. First, 90+% of the products are overpriced. If it takes a controlled/contrived demonstration, and a seller who's hyping it as a miracle product to make it look good, I personally am not buying it. Second, alot of the "parties" involve the seller being friends with those attending. And I think as a result, the people attending feel pressure or obligation to buy something simply because the seller is friend/family.

Is that one of those vaccuum cleaners that costs like $2,000? I had a guy try to do a demonstration for me but I didn't let him in.

Also, last week, a guy tried to sell me some meat and/or seafood from the back of his cargo van. :unsure: Hmmm...no thanks.

My wife has both attended and hosted (for another seller) some direct selling "parties". I have a distaste for direct selling, which is sometimes also part of a multi-level marketing business. And I despise MLM. If you host for another seller, you can get some freebies depending on the amount of sales generated. A couple of things bug me about direct selling. First, 90+% of the products are overpriced. If it takes a controlled/contrived demonstration, and a seller who's hyping it as a miracle product to make it look good, I personally am not buying it. Second, alot of the "parties" involve the seller being friends with those attending. And I think as a result, the people attending feel pressure or obligation to buy something simply because the seller is friend/family.

We've had "meat" guys show up at our house a couple of times over the years. One time, when my wife was at home with just our youngest daughter at the time, it was three pretty scary looking guys in a beaten up van, and they pulled RIGHT up to the garage blocking my wife's car in. They then tried to get her to buy some steaks. "Yeah sure, I'll take a dozen".

Who buys meat out of the back of a van?

I can only imagine that direct selling like those Rainbow guys is a HARD life, especially in the coldest parts of the winter, constantly going in and out of the cold/warm/cold/warm probably makes you sick a lot. I would never recommend it to my worst enemy.