Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jencoleslaw

Is it time for a new state newspaper?

20 posts in this topic

The Valley Breeze has stepped up and sponsored the bee. Honestly though, what was the journal thinking? how is it possible that this gaff isn't going to cost them far more than the paltry $5000? Mr. Coleslaw, a veteran spelling bee-er has insisted we cancel our subscription of the Journal.

The Valley Breeze has stepped up and sponsored the bee. Honestly though, what was the journal thinking? how is it possible that this gaff isn't going to cost them far more than the paltry $5000? Mr. Coleslaw, a veteran spelling bee-er has insisted we cancel our subscription of the Journal.

I canceled my subscription a while ago. As I've said so many times before, since Belo's took over this newspaper it has steadily gone down hill.

^how does the phoenix compare? I always hear good things, but have never read it.

the phoenix is a good paper, a great paper especially for local news, but it is only published once a week. and yes, i get the newspaper because not all the articles in the paper are on line for some reason. 8 people read my copy of the paper and then it gets recycled.

I think it's time for a city paper. The problem with the Journal (well a problem) is that it's not a Providence paper, it only reports on Providence when someone gets shot. If Warwick can have two papers, Providence can have at least one.

I think it's time for a city paper. The problem with the Journal (well a problem) is that it's not a Providence paper, it only reports on Providence when someone gets shot. If Warwick can have two papers, Providence can have at least one.

Isn't that what the phoenix serves as? Don't most towns have the once a week, all city/town info?

While I do believe competition is good, when it comes to newspaper, I belive it degenerates into this: One trashy tabloid, one real newspaper newspaper. It's just a hypothesis with little information to back it up, but look at the New York times, and the New York post; the Boston Globe, and the Boston Herald. Perhaps I'm wrong.

That being said, the newspaper market is really collapsing. More people are going to the internet, or TV, and I doubt the Providence metro can support two newspapers. Perhaps if more people started to use public transit there would be more of a demand, but most of those not already doing so can afford other things to keep occupied (see: iPhone). Once again, I could be wrong and another newspaper might get Rhode Islanders more interested in newspapers, and increase the base (like when a burger king is built near a McDonald's, the Mcdonald's sees an increase in business).

another newspaper might be good. i think it's stupid that the projo is a RI paper for the whole state and doesn't stick mostly to providence news.

while more and more people are going to the internet, there's nothing like sitting down with a paper and flipping through. it's not as fun clicking links on webpages and trying to read 10 articles online (hurts the eyes after a while).

I used to sit down with the Sunday Globe every week and read pretty much the whole damn thing. I can't really imagine doing that with the Journal, it just doesn't have enough that is compelling to me to read.

i pull out the local news, and the business section and everything else goes un-looked-at into the recycle bin. mr coleslaw doesn't even read any of the sunday paper. I do like the real estate section on saturday and the food section on Wednesday.

another newspaper might be good. i think it's stupid that the projo is a RI paper for the whole state and doesn't stick mostly to providence news.

while more and more people are going to the internet, there's nothing like sitting down with a paper and flipping through. it's not as fun clicking links on webpages and trying to read 10 articles online (hurts the eyes after a while).

In case you didn't notice, the cost of the daily Providence Journal went up to $ 1.00 today. :shok: This is amazing since the cost of the journal from Mon-Sat recently went up from $ .50 to .75. The Sunday paper will now be $ 3.00, and weekly delivery will be $ 7.00. Me thinks the next step will be limited access to projo.com.

In case you didn't notice, the cost of the daily Providence Journal went up to $ 1.00 today. :shok: This is amazing since the cost of the journal from Mon-Sat recently went up from $ .50 to .75. The Sunday paper will now be $ 3.00, and weekly delivery will be $ 7.00. Me thinks the next step will be limited access to projo.com.

Me thinks the next step will be no Journal, no ProJo.com, no nothing. I'm hearing if they can sell their Providence property, the plan is to move to Warwick, I wonder if they'd become the Warwick Journal?

I would think that they'd consolidate their operations @ 350 Kingsley Ave, their production facility. But this is interesting.

The implosion at Channel 10 continues with another 24 people layed off yesterday. This is the time for 12 or 6 to make their move. The parent company of WJAR is squeezing all of the good reporters out the door.