Carolina First Center

g-man430

This is the biggest part of the renovation, biding on this part started 12/19/06

and all submittal must be in by 1/30/07

Link PDF

I didn't know TVS was designing the addition / remodel of Carolina First Center until I saw your PDF attachment. Thanks!

TVS did the Georgia Aquarium....they are a great firm. This is wonderful news to see them involved with the Carolina First Center. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm....looks as though we might have a discrepancy as far as naming rights go.

Edit: maybe two discrepancies?

That's not unusual. Have you ever noticed how many ballparks are named "Fifth Third Park?" I can think of at least two: Toledo and Dayton. :lol:

I really like this fancy monochromatic g.

post-10519-1169558848_thumb.jpg

Before long, the citizens of Greenville will be wearing that thing on armbands wrapped around their right biceps. :ph34r:

That's not unusual. Have you ever noticed how many ballparks are named "Fifth Third Park?" I can think of at least two: Toledo and Dayton. :lol:

I don't think many corporately-sponsored venues have facilities with the same name, if at all. I remember there were some name changes to some venues when Wachovia bought First Union. I do think it might be a bit confusing to have a convention center and arena in the same state with the same name, although in two different cities. I'm thinking the PEC might be named "Carolina First Convention Center."

I do think it might be a bit confusing to have a convention center and arena in the same state with the same name, although in two different cities.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing. If someone asked me to go to watch a minor league baseball game in Ohio at Fifth Third Field, I'd not know whether they were talking about this one or this one.

I agree that "Carolina First Convention Center" would be a better choice in names for the convention center.

I don't think many corporately-sponsored venues have facilities with the same name, if at all. I remember there were some name changes to some venues when Wachovia bought First Union. I do think it might be a bit confusing to have a convention center and arena in the same state with the same name, although in two different cities. I'm thinking the PEC might be named "Carolina First Convention Center."

I don't think it is a huge deal. It's almost like apples and oranges - one is small and rather insignificant, while the other is one of the largest convention centers in the southeast. What are the plans for the Carolina First Center on the CofC campus?

With that said, it is still interesting that they didn't decide to name the Greenville one South Financial instead of Carolina First.

I tend to agree, although that won't necessarily be true once South Financial builds a huge campus on I-85. :thumbsup:

IF they ever build it. Wasn't this supposed to break ground like last year? What is taking Harper Corp. so long to get this project underway? :unsure:

I don't think it is a huge deal. It's almost like apples and oranges - one is small and rather insignificant, while the other is one of the largest convention centers in the southeast. What are the plans for the Carolina First Center on the CofC campus?

With that said, it is still interesting that they didn't decide to name the Greenville one South Financial instead of Carolina First.

I don't think I'd call CofC's arena "small and insignificant," even if we are comparing apples and oranges. Sports arenas tend to get much more exposure than convention centers anyway, due to them being used more consistently and games being broadcast; convention centers typically only gain notereity from their size (which tends to be directly related to the size of the city it's located in) or architecture.

The plans for CofC's arena should be included in the link I provided.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing. If someone asked me to go to watch a minor league baseball game in Ohio at Fifth Third Field, I'd not know whether they were talking about this one or this one.

I agree that "Carolina First Convention Center" would be a better choice in names for the convention center.

I too agree that "Convention" should be added to the name. With so many other "... Center's" in Gville, it would be helpful for it to use a descriptive word for what kind of center it is.

Regardless, I'll bet natives call it PEC for a long time to come, i.e "The Daniel Building"

I'm sure with South Financial / Carolina First being headquartered in Greenville, The Carolina First Center here will get PLENTY of positive exposure. :D

I don't think the name on the facility has much, if anything, to do with it. I doubt that the average out-of-towner (or "out-of-stater") will even know that Carolina First is a bank, much less where it's headquartered. The amount of exposure the facility gets is really up to those who market the facility, how much it meets the needs of potential groups wanting to meet there (the renovation should definitely help with that), and rates. Convention centers in general these days are actually losing money as technology is reducing the need for face-to-face meetings, but there does seem to be a slight uptick in smaller meetings in midsized markets.

Guess I haven't checked the website in a while, but The Carolina First Center has construction photos and dates....looks like they are running a little behind on some of the dates. Haven't change the website to reflect the new name yet, but they have updated the "News" section as regards the name change. Can't wait to see the new website will look....should be pretty good looking.

http://www.palmettoexpo.com/renovation/index.php#

• 2 weeks later...

Archived