What draws people to uptown Charlotte?

Delta_USAir

What is drawing people to uptown Charlotte?

I mean...NO WAY if i had a million dollars would I buy a condo in Charlotte.San antonio I would.

the River walk, the Urban feel, and the 2 story Mc Donalds. San antonio feels way more urban than Charlotte, and look how many sky scrapers they have.

The only thing to me personally that would draw me to uptown is CVS, and what city does not have that.Even San antonio has a Belks { personally I hate belks}

TOPIC OF THREAD

What draws people to uptown?

<_< Obviously not a Mc'Donalds. We dont have 1. If we did I could see what all the fuss is about, or wal*mart/Target. I know the metropolitan has a target, but isnt that outside the loop?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Uptown is currently in the "hurry up and wait mode". Today outside of upscale business oriented restaurants, the bare essentials are present : convenience stores and a supermarket. A decade from now it will be a different scene and the future amenities are what many new residents are banking on.

:D are you kiddin?!?!

what building?

Oh Ya, so people are moving uptown for future amenities?The ones that Metro blast all the time and makes good points on?The Vue,300 south Tryon,ETC. are the reason people are moving uptown for? I guess the Epicentre would draw people in.

What are the future amenities?the treamills,and pools in the tower?

You'll be glad to know that there is a McDonald's in Uptown.

Since you're from San Antonio and came here looking to pick a fight I'll bite.

I've spent a great deal of time in San Antonio, and I wouldn't trade it for Charlotte for the world. Sure Riverwalk is nice, but it's just another tourist trap, filled with over-priced cheap food and souvenir shops. Oh, and I forgot, it's got an indoor mall built over it. Nice.

Most of the pedistrian activity in San Antonio is based either directly in the Riverwalk (which is mainly below grade) or around the Alamo. While nice, most of those folks don't actually live in San Antonio, they're just visiting. Go a few blocks in either direction and it's deader than Charlotte's downtown by a large degree. Outside of downtown, the neighborhoods ringing downtown seem to be really hurt by the outerbelt. Most new neighborhoods and office development that I've seen has been on the outerbelt, and the majority of that is the suburban version that we have so much of here in Charlotte.

The pricing of the condo market in Charlotte has more to do with the initial scarcity of highrise living in the center city coupled with a large young, white-collar demographic group that has more to do with the business climate in Charlotte than it's tourist draw. Charlotte is also becoming VERY urban at it's core, with a density that some much larger cities lack. People fond of picking out surface parking in aerial photos aren't aware that most of those are being developed as we speak or aware of the density of the housing stock in Fourth Ward or parts of First Ward. I'm not going to pretend that areas of downtown aren't lacking. Quality retail has yet to move into downtown, and the variety of streetlife still needs improvement, but the development engine that is currently in progress will bring thousands more people living downtown, added museums, performing arts centers, retail, and a central hub for a growing transit system that will encourage long-term success downtown.

Charlotte is not utopia. People that live here realize this. One of the things that has always mystified me is why people elsewhere seem hell-bent on wondering where we get off in feeling so superior. However, Charlotte is also doing a LOT right, and is, in my opinion, well on it's way to becoming a 24-hour live and work core.

Now, in case you think I'm overly negative about San Antonio, I like the architecture downtown, the urban zone of buildings around the Riverwalk, and a lovely Mexican open-air market a few blocks away from downtown. Good brisket, and good Mexican food (goes without saying I guess...). Other than that, I was pretty disappointed.

:D are you kiddin?!?!

what building?

Oh Ya, so people are moving uptown for future amenities?The ones that Metro blast all the time and makes good points on?The Vue,300 south Tryon,ETC. are the reason people are moving uptown for? I guess the Epicentre would draw people in.

What are the future amenities?the treamills,and pools in the tower?

I don't even work uptown (close, but not in walking distance), but I choose to live uptown because of the amenities and the promise of so much more on the way. There is nowhere I'd rather live.

There are a ton of restaurants and bars in walking distance. If I need to go the grocery store, I walk downstairs. If I need to go to a drugstore, I walk 1 block. Chinese takeout? Screw delivery...there's a spot a block and a half away I can grab takeout from. My dry cleaners are in the building I live in. When there are street festivals downtown, all my friends consider my condo as the gathering place because we can walk from here. For Panthers games, I can tailgate on my front porch and walk to the game. Hockey or Basketball games are also a 5 minute walk. Plus, the communities downtown do offer amenities. I have 24 hour concierge, pool, beautiful courtyard, fitness center, a coffee/internet cafe with free Starbucks for residents, etc. And if I worked downtown, that would just be icing on the cake.

Not to mention the fact that I am a skyscraper freak and just love being surrounded by so much new development. It joys me to look out my window every day and see the cranes over the skyline. Soon, I'll have a link to the shopping and restaurants in SouthEnd only a few blocks away with the light rail. As more residents pour into downtown, the amount of retail stores, restaurants, and bars will explode, giving me even more to be glad about living in downtown Charlotte.

San Antonio is a great city...I've been there many times and I'm going there again in 4 days as a matter of fact. But, I wouldn't choose it over Charlotte.

What a bizarre thread. A lot of people are drawn by upscale dining, The Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Spirit Square, Lectures at the Library or The Levine Museum of the New South, film showings at The Light Factory, Art Galleries, Actor's Theatre, etc. With another performing arts center on the way as well as more museums culture is certainly one of the draws.

I see you mentioned Wal-Mart. The fact that there is no Wal-Mart is actually a draw for many people. They're ugly, dirty, create a lot of waste run off, sell low quality merchandise, lower property values. Most people are upset when Wal-Mart looks to build nearby. Typically your Uptown dweller is well educated and well paid, the opposite of what Wal-mart would consider as their target demographic. So not having one is certainly not a hindrance.

In addition to McDonald's and Bojangle's, we also have a Burger King at the corner of Trade and Brevard. I think the only chain we are missing in downtown proper is Wendy's and that is located in Midtown. If you are looking for a Wal Mart then the one of Wilkinson is only a 5 min drive from downtown.

But I didn't move downtown for the chains. I like being in an environment where I can walk to a lot of things. I can walk to most everything I need right downtown. There is no other place in the metro area where you can live and be able to walk and have the varierty of things to do with as much conveinence as downtown Charlotte.

The fact that you consider McDonald's and Wal-Mart to be requirements for an "urban" scene is mystifying. Why in the hell would anybody spend a "million dollars" to live next to the two most common chain stores in America? Your other criterion seems to be the presence of a tourist trap... again, that is a really odd and unreaslistic reason to choose a location for your home.

The good news is that you don't HAVE to spend that kind of money to live uptown. Condos here sell for a tiny, tiny fraction of what they would cost in many other cities. People who are buying now will eventually save gobs of money by having jumped on the boat early. And yes, for the most part the needed urban amentities ARE there... including pro sports, cultural attractions, nightlife/clubs, restaurants, etc.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the first new semi highrise modern condo complex went up downtown and people could buy those spacious and nice units for $250K or so and then all of a sudden they were heading to the $1 million range. This was like turning on a flame for a lot of moths. I think the evidence is there, and has been demonstrated here by people posting here, the many many people are looking to make money on their purchases. This isn't the only reason that people move downtown but it is a major one.

As far as living downtown for the "amenities" I just don't see it. If anything, if you don't work downtown its got to be a lot more inconvenient for people than living almost anywhere else in the Charlotte area.

I think a lot of young people move downtown to avoid drunk driving charges. They like the idea of being able to party and walk home.

Also, there are a number of reasons to live downtown but not work there. My wife and I both have had different jobs in different locations since moving downtown. The reverse commute is great, without ever sitting in traffic except rare events like holidays or races. But also my wife was able to take a job on the opposite side of the city, yet have the same commute.

We like the neighborhoods, the fact that we live near people unlike us, and being able to walk to great restaurants. Most things we could need are 5 minute drive away.

:rolleyes: About that being from San Antonio stuff. I'm a Charlotte Native Born and raised!

:thumbsup: Charlotte is my favorite city by the way. :silly: Behind NYC, and Chicago

Since you're from San Antonio and came here looking to pick a fight I'll bite.

I've spent a great deal of time in San Antonio, and I wouldn't trade it for Charlotte for the world. Sure Riverwalk is nice, but it's just another tourist trap, filled with over-priced cheap food and souvenir shops. Oh, and I forgot, it's got an indoor mall built over it. Nice.

Most of the pedistrian activity in San Antonio is based either directly in the Riverwalk (which is mainly below grade) or around the Alamo. While nice, most of those folks don't actually live in San Antonio, they're just visiting. Go a few blocks in either direction and it's deader than Charlotte's downtown by a large degree. Outside of downtown, the neighborhoods ringing downtown seem to be really hurt by the outerbelt. Most new neighborhoods and office development that I've seen has been on the outerbelt, and the majority of that is the suburban version that we have so much of here in Charlotte.

The pricing of the condo market in Charlotte has more to do with the initial scarcity of highrise living in the center city coupled with a large young, white-collar demographic group that has more to do with the business climate in Charlotte than it's tourist draw. Charlotte is also becoming VERY urban at it's core, with a density that some much larger cities lack. People fond of picking out surface parking in aerial photos aren't aware that most of those are being developed as we speak or aware of the density of the housing stock in Fourth Ward or parts of First Ward. I'm not going to pretend that areas of downtown aren't lacking. Quality retail has yet to move into downtown, and the variety of streetlife still needs improvement, but the development engine that is currently in progress will bring thousands more people living downtown, added museums, performing arts centers, retail, and a central hub for a growing transit system that will encourage long-term success downtown.

Charlotte is not utopia. People that live here realize this. One of the things that has always mystified me is why people elsewhere seem hell-bent on wondering where we get off in feeling so superior. However, Charlotte is also doing a LOT right, and is, in my opinion, well on it's way to becoming a 24-hour live and work core.

Now, in case you think I'm overly negative about San Antonio, I like the architecture downtown, the urban zone of buildings around the Riverwalk, and a lovely Mexican open-air market a few blocks away from downtown. Good brisket, and good Mexican food (goes without saying I guess...). Other than that, I was pretty disappointed.

Most people make 20,000 dollars a year ,And to us that is fancy living.

From what I gathered on this forum is: charlotte sucks at everything we do at street level, and there is more pedestrian activity in Ashville, ETC.

I personally love the epicentre! <_< And I really look forward to an arts muesem

The fact that you consider McDonald's and Wal-Mart to be requirements for an "urban" scene is mystifying. Why in the hell would anybody spend a "million dollars" to live next to the two most common chain stores in America? Your other criterion seems to be the presence of a tourist trap... again, that is a really odd and unreaslistic reason to choose a location for your home.

The good news is that you don't HAVE to spend that kind of money to live uptown. Condos here sell for a tiny, tiny fraction of what they would cost in many other cities. People who are buying now will eventually save gobs of money by having jumped on the boat early. And yes, for the most part the needed urban amentities ARE there... including pro sports, cultural attractions, nightlife/clubs, restaurants, etc.

I think Uptown is a magnet for some affluent people who want to have a "city" experience without the diverse mix of people and "grit" that I think makes an urban scene is exciting. I don't think all Uptown residents feel this way but a segment of them seems to want to recreate an urban version of Bytne up there. I hope the affordable housing components being batted around for various projects come to fruition so the city's population can better reflect reality as opposed to an urban country club.

I think Uptown is a magnet for some affluent people who want to have a "city" experience without the diverse mix of people and "grit" that I think makes an urban scene is exciting. I don't think all Uptown residents feel this way but a segment of them seems to want to recreate an urban version of Bytne up there. I hope the affordable housing components being batted around for various projects come to fruition so the city's population can better reflect reality as opposed to an urban country club.

I lived uptown because there was a cheap house available in First Ward (it was 1997). Sold in 2005 to take advantage of the hefty profit. I miss it everyday. I never dealt with traffic. On a grid, things work pretty well. For a while, I worked off Graham Street and that was pretty convenient. My neighbors and I walked to Reid's for groceries, to Coco Osteria for dinner, to RiRa, Therapy, or Alexander Michael's for drinks. One New Year's Eve, I forced my guests to walk to Carpe Diem in the 18 degree cold for dinner.

What I found amusing was that most of my neighbors didn't work uptown. Most worked at SP or UC. Since they commuted against traffic, they had quick trips to and from their jobs. Some of us even took courses together at CPCC and the uptown UNC Charlotte campus and walked to both. In 2003, we all ran a marathon together and our larger training group met every Saturday morning at One Wachovia. I miss that sense of community that I don't have currently.

While I don't regret selling, I do miss being uptown. Cotswold is nice and I do love my 50s ranch, but it doesn't have a skyline view and I didn't get to bring my First Ward friends with me.

I have never believed that the majority of Uptown residents wanted their own cocoon but I have had some people tell me in social settings that they don't want Uptown to get too "urban" and it's quite easy to read between the lines to see what that means. And I know there are snobs everywhere. Regarding "grit" we have had that debate before :lol: I hope that Charlotte loosens up sidewalk restrictions in the future to allow for more newstands,retail and art kiosks and allows for more murals or artwork on the sides of blank buildings. Pews on Parade is a good move in the right direction. I guess everyone has their own ideas of what constitutes ideal urban life, my take is that it's rather intangible and everyone has different feeling of what it is.

^ it's so refreshing hearing about real experiences from people who have actually lived uptown. recently, it has become tiresome reading the constant negative perceptions of charlotte and uptown. i don't think this city is close to perfect and god knows we've got lots to learn as a city....

i think whats drawing people uptown is the excitement of the city, the walkability, the theatres, sports, museums, work, bars. also, it's a happening.... alot of the people i know who live uptown "get off" on the thrill of being a part of this cities forward momentum. maybe theres a little "pioneer" spirit involved?

as southern cities go, charlotte is proving to be one the most progressive in cultivating density in it's uptown. of course, just claiming that title is not sufficient enough for me... i want to see the city cultivate density in a more eco friendly, people friendly, and with more challanging architecture. i would love for the city to one day be called the most european-american city in the states. we are constantly striving to achieve some kind of world class status, and to many that means pro-sports, hard rock cafes, bodies of water, etc. but, to me, being world class doesn't mean having all the same amenities as everyone else and just being big.

i've said it before, charlotte's glass is half full. i think that the people who are moving uptown have this same sentiment. therefore, i am excited about my town's future...

Archived