What draws people to uptown Charlotte?

Delta_USAir

Charlotte has 3 fortune 500 companies located uptown. That will draw a lot of people uptown to live and work. It is the second largest bank city in the US. Approx. 60,000 people a day are uptown working. So lets put it this way, MONEY is one of the biggest draw to uptown other than entertainment and dinning. You also have college students fron Johnson & Wales University that live up town and go to school there.

Uptown Charlotte is becoming a small city of people and business in side the loop.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is that, and one that is almost mystically separate from the remainder of Charlotte. I felt it living there as a child and do now as a visitor - the disconnect between CLT inside the loop and everywhere else. Maybe it's just me. I would like to see that effect diminished, and I don't think it is just the physical barrier of 277 causing this.

I have heard this an awful lot, but it simply isn't true. Almost all of 1st Ward is mixed-income. There's Salvation Army apartments fronting Poplar St. in the nicest part of 4th Ward. Hall House is mostly low-income, right on Tryon; same with Renaissance. Just outside the loop you have the Cherry neighborhood (which will obviously be changing soon, unfortunately), the whole J.C. Smith area, the low-income housing along N. Tryon...

Maybe it's just that people tend to come uptown during working hours (high concentration of the well-paid) and party hours (high concentration of people with money to spend). But really, it's not like this is some kind of ivory tower. If anything, it's probably Charlotte's best example of truly mixed-income residential demographics.

Archived