Gaylord's Plans

it's just dave

I just attended a community meeting in Donelson about the plans Gaylord has for its 105-acre site across Briley Parkway. Most of the meeting concerned Planning and Zoning which of course will be the first steps taken in their quest to develop this property. Traffic studies were presented, property maps, but nothing concrete or even hinted at about what they want to put there.

The lawyer on the panel made remark about zoning and mentioned The Crown being a $160 million project and what they will plan will "dwarf that amount." I make no further predictions about what he meant by that.

What we will see is a classic David vs Goliath thing going on with this. The residents of the area seemed very concerned about traffic patterns into and out of the development. The engineers presenting their study for Gaylord seemed quite unmoved by the concerns of the people in the area who suggested moving the entrance to the north side of the property. And when I say unmoved, like a rock, nothing anybody said seemed to matter. Stoic, precise, and unmovable is how I read the Gaylord people.

This will interesting to say the least, but if you want to watch the little people who love their little side of rural paradise in Pennington Bend fight the giant, keep an eye on this. The first Planning meeting is the first week of February and from what I gathered, this zoning issue is on the fast track. I entered the meeting expecting to hear positive, exciting things, but left feeling a bit uneasy at how evident it was that Gaylord weilds so much power in this. It was a bit freaky to see.

Fox 17's Sky Arnold was there with his cameraman if you want to see what he has to say about it. Channel 5 was there, too.

Stay tuned.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just attended a community meeting in Donelson about the plans Gaylord has for its 105-acre site across Briley Parkway. Most of the meeting concerned Planning and Zoning which of course will be the first steps taken in their quest to develop this property. Traffic studies were presented, property maps, but nothing concrete or even hinted at about what they want to put there.

The lawyer on the panel made remark about zoning and mentioned The Crown being a $160 million project and what they will plan will "dwarf that amount." I make no further predictions about what he meant by that.

What we will see is a classic David vs Goliath thing going on with this. The residents of the area seemed very concerned about traffic patterns into and out of the development. The engineers presenting their study for Gaylord seemed quite unmoved by the concerns of the people in the area who suggested moving the entrance to the north side of the property. And when I say unmoved, like a rock, nothing anybody said seemed to matter. Stoic, precise, and unmovable is how I read the Gaylord people.

This will interesting to say the least, but if you want to watch the little people who love their little side of rural paradise in Pennington Bend fight the giant, keep an eye on this. The first Planning meeting is the first week of February and from what I gathered, this zoning issue is on the fast track. I entered the meeting expecting to hear positive, exciting things, but left feeling a bit uneasy at how evident it was that Gaylord weilds so much power in this. It was a bit freaky to see.

Channel 5's Sky Arnold was there with his cameraman if you want to see what he has to say about it. Stay tuned.

I guess a number of those residents on that side of town are digging through their closests and dusting off the boxing gloves tonight. This ought to be the fight of the century here. But I have to ask, why should Gaylord being cold and "stoic" surprise anyone here? LOL!!! I thought they were that way most of the time.

we just bought a house over there, and we are moving into it next week. i was there and i have talked with our soon to be neighbors. we are mainly concerned about traffic. the sub-division we moved into, not to be named as to not give away where i live, is far enough down Pennington Bend that it does not damage our properties directly, but pennington bend is our only access out to the major roads that feed into nashville. i am all for development, or i wouldnt be here. i guess i just never realised the impact of smart design and proper planning until it hit home. from most of the people i talked to, it is mostly a concern of traffic first and foremost. like i said, pennington bend is our only access directly out to briley and mcgavok, unless you take it out and around to opry mills on the other side of briley, but thats a real roundabout way. i want, and what others in the area want, is if they build something that will have tourists in and out of the entrance to our communites, is for them to widen it and plan it properly. we really dont want the entrance to be on pennington either, we want it on mcgavock if it has to be built.

I just scanned this, but Gaylord sure does look like a bunch of jerks for their approach here. They have a meeting about their plan, but they won't even divulge what their plan is. I don't blame that area's residents for being upset.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...8/1022/BUSINESS

BTW... Unverified RUMOR alert!! I called my buddy up in Nashville who is developing for Stormont Trice now, but used to be with Vandy. He said that the rumors (and he couldn't confirm) surrounding Gaylord's development is that it will be a musical themed "mall" that will have production studios and several time share condos around it.

Dave, I don't quite see Gaylord the same way you do... I think their buildings are on the cheesey side (the Opry Mall, their bland HQ structure, the F'ugly Grand Ole Opry building, and even their overdone hotel). Ironically, the only thing they've done that I remotely find attractive is the facade of the Wild Horse (but even that required demo of a much prettier building). Of course, their truest gem is the Ryman, but then they didn't build that. They did, however, put that cheesey walkway around the back.

I just scanned this, but Gaylord sure does look like a bunch of jerks for their approach here. They have a meeting about their plan, but they won't even divulge what their plan is. I don't blame that area's residents for being upset.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...8/1022/BUSINESS

BTW... Unverified RUMOR alert!! I called my buddy up in Nashville who is developing for Stormont Trice now, but used to be with Vandy. He said that the rumors (and he couldn't confirm) surrounding Gaylord's development is that it will be a musical themed "mall" that will have production studios and several time share condos around it.

Dave, I don't quite see Gaylord the same way you do... I think their buildings are on the cheesey side (the Opry Mall, their bland HQ structure, the F'ugly Grand Ole Opry building, and even their overdone hotel). Ironically, the only thing they've done that I remotely find attractive is the facade of the Wild Horse (but even that required demo of a much prettier building). Of course, their truest gem is the Ryman, but then they didn't build that. They did, however, put that cheesey walkway around the back.

Oh Nashville. When I was a resident, I was amazed at the hip/trendy music executives...the parties....and the west/east coast crowds.....only to be tempered by the fans....both rich and poor....the lovers of the music...not the fame and money it produced. The trend continues. People want it...but they are not willing to accept it all. Man...slow to embrace some of the best music.....Bluegrass.....slow to accept the rebels....like Merle Haggard....In Nashville you have to walk that line....if not...you don't ....watch out.

I always thought that it would be interesting to create a country music venue....not like Branson...but capturing the same viewers and visitors....up in the rolling hills of Northwest Davidson County. Few neighborhoods....and fewer clashes with the cosmopolitan downtown/west end Nashville crowd.

There have been persistent rumors (even in my own law firm) that Disney has been mulling over a theme park just such as the one you've described for many years now. I think that rumor is dead now, but somebody could make a successful run of it.

It makes sense...and Nashville should have some type of answer to Branson...but not in the downtown area. I believe that northwest Davidson would work out well.

It makes sense...and Nashville should have some type of answer to Branson...but not in the downtown area. I believe that northwest Davidson would work out well.

I agree. Northwest Nashville is a vast frontier that has yet to see it's potential thru! The terrain only adds to the vibe. LOL!!

If Gaylord is smart they would build some sort of theme park to replace Opryland. People in this town hate Gaylord for killing Opryland.

It will be intesting to see if Gaylord is starting to react to the development in downtown. We will have the Westin (probably without a historic overlay) that will compete with Opryland Hotel (OH). If Tourist are staying at the OH now and taking shuttles to DT to the Opry and lower Broadway honky tonks why not just stay downtown and skip the bus. Or pick up the shuttle to spend a day at Shopyland or the hotel and come back and honky tonk DT?

Wouldn't it be funny if Gaylord built a little lower Brodway village theme park? They could replicate Tooties and Roberts or all of Broadway during the 50's. Ha, ha, ha. Oh my God! I too sharp for my own good!

Because Nashville is essentially ashamed of country music we have never done anything to promote it. I've heard Purcell and Briley (the younger Council Member at Large) and the Chamber of Commerce all say that Nashville should down play its association with country music. Maybe Nashville has realized that it is has blossomed from Ugly Betty to the Hot Chick and no longer has to worry about following fashion (let's be like LA, Portland or NYC!) and can now expoit it's own unique beauty (country music).

Why isn't there a music and theater venue (government or private sponsored) in Nashville? I suggested that in a "visioning" session for the area around 100 Oaks during a Plan of Nashville meeting and it was met with such distain that you'd have thought I had suggested a prison be built there.

If Gaylord is smart they would build some sort of theme park to replace Opryland. People in this town hate Gaylord for killing Opryland.

It will be intesting to see if Gaylord is starting to react to the development in downtown. We will have the Westin (probably without a historic overlay) that will compete with Opryland Hotel (OH). If Tourist are staying at the OH now and taking shuttles to DT to the Opry and lower Broadway honky tonks why not just stay downtown and skip the bus. Or pick up the shuttle to spend a day at Shopyland or the hotel and come back and honky tonk DT?

Wouldn't it be funny if Gaylord built a little lower Brodway village theme park? They could replicate Tooties and Roberts or all of Broadway during the 50's. Ha, ha, ha. Oh my God! I too sharp for my own good!

Because Nashville is essentially ashamed of country music we have never done anything to promote it. I've heard Purcell and Briley (the younger Council Member at Large) and the Chamber of Commerce all say that Nashville should down play its association with country music. Maybe Nashville has realized that it is has blossomed from Ugly Betty to the Hot Chick and no longer has to worry about following fashion (let's be like LA, Portland or NYC!) and can now expoit it's own unique beauty (country music).

Why isn't there a music and theater venue (government or private sponsored) in Nashville? I suggested that in a "visioning" session for the area around 100 Oaks during a Plan of Nashville meeting and it was met with such distain that you'd have thought I had suggested a prison be built there.

I can say with 99.9% certainty that you will not see an amusement park in the new deveolpment. Gaylord wants something that is viable year round and roller coasters are not it! Besides the space is way too small for that....

Theme Parks, for the most part, are a loss in the long run and I think Gaylord, like producer2 said, is going in another direction with their ideas. They are wanting to capture the "Baby Boomer's" and their retirment potential. Which makes me wonder if the whole idea is just a bit narrowminded. Branson is cool, as long as you are above 40, and it has it's place in Americana. I would rather Nashville not become like it. Branson is full of small shows, wax museums, and touristy traps like The Roundabout used to be in the 80's. I kinda hope we have moved past that here, and are ready to take on a new roll in Music Tourism not fall back onto our old ideas.

Theme Parks, for the most part, are a loss in the long run and I think Gaylord, like producer2 said, is going in another direction with their ideas. They are wanting to capture the "Baby Boomer's" and their retirment potential. Which makes me wonder if the whole idea is just a bit narrowminded. Branson is cool, as long as you are above 40, and it has it's place in Americana. I would rather Nashville not become like it. Branson is full of small shows, wax museums, and touristy traps like The Roundabout used to be in the 80's. I kinda hope we have moved past that here, and are ready to take on a new roll in Music Tourism not fall back onto our old ideas.

I agree. There is a "killing" to made in Nashville if a number of Branson type show theaters opened up. That would reinforce the need for more hotel rooms in Nashville as well. Last year Branson played host to 4 Million tourists! Not too shabby.

I don't know if anyone ever mentioned this before... or if it is anything more than a rumor... but while searching out to find more about Gaylord's plans... I came across this new theme park idea for Nashville... Ole' South USA:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/ole__south_usa.htm

What I find pretty amazing... is its stated that this has been in development for 3 years, and has a commitment of 2000 acres! That's enormous compared to what Opryland used to be!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how this stacks up in today's dollars, but when the $25 million first phase of the hotel was announced in the early 70s, I was quite impressed.

It's about 5X the amount in the early 70s. So that $25M would inflate to $125M today. Wasn't the second expansion a greater amount in real dollars than any of the other phases?

Archived