Gaylord's Plans

it's just dave

Weeeeeeellll... I understand how you feel, but good corporate citizenship is much more than what you do for your shareholders. (However, that should be the top priority of any CEO). Stille, there's the importance of PR to your image to the community. I can think of about a half dozen here in Atlanta that play-up that to a ridiculous level (one of them makes a fizzy sugar water), but certain elements of the populace swoon and coo over the fruits of their PR campaign. These groups (for reasons beyond my comprehension) are often quite influential in their promotion of those companies' products. In short, good PR is good business.

On the other hand, there are those companies, such as Gaylord, that can't even buy a good story about them. Here is Colin Reed, who wanted to make it quite clear that he wasn't involved in the closing of O'land, and he sounded (a tad?) arrogant in the article (OK, partly because he's British, lol). But I ask you to remember that Gaylord is in fact a good supporter of the local arts and institutions in Nashville. Among several other ventures, they have helped to pay for the GEC with their naming/sponsorship and underwritten the Music City Bowl... not to mention the astounding amount of tax revenues brought in by their convention guests.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeeeeeellll... I understand how you feel, but good corporate citizenship is much more than what you do for your shareholders. (However, that should be the top priority of any CEO). Stille, there's the importance of PR to your image to the community. I can think of about a half dozen here in Atlanta that play-up that to a ridiculous level (one of them makes a fizzy sugar water), but certain elements of the populace swoon and coo over the fruits of their PR campaign. These groups (for reasons beyond my comprehension) are often quite influential in their promotion of those companies' products. In short, good PR is good business.

On the other hand, there are those companies, such as Gaylord, that can't even buy a good story about them. Here is Colin Reed, who wanted to make it quite clear that he wasn't involved in the closing of O'land, and he sounded (a tad?) arrogant in the article (OK, partly because he's British, lol). But I ask you to remember that Gaylord is in fact a good supporter of the local arts and institutions in Nashville. Among several other ventures, they have helped to pay for the GEC with their naming/sponsorship and underwritten the Music City Bowl... not to mention the astounding amount of tax revenues brought in by their convention guests.

I will give you the tax revenues but the rest of it is not so true. They have been bought out of the naming rights and partial ownership of the Nashville Predators at their request (which also states that the name remains until a new sponsorship deal is reached) They also want out of the Music City Bowl and will not be a sponsor in the future. Now what else do they do for the city? Apparently they wrote the book on how to run a hotel/convention center business and no one else could possibly be savvy enough to do as well. They will continue to prosper becasue they have a product and a niche on one else thought of nor can they reproduce, but great corporate citizens they are not!

I did not say that they are a great corporate citizen. However, they really aren't as bad as some would contend.

By the same token, many companies with stellar reputations are not deserved. Oh well, whatchagonnado? Guess you'll just have to keep making money for your shareholders.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, they're combining the entire center and hotel. It's all one thing anyway. Outside of Vegas, not many, if any, can boast nearly 3300 rooms. So, in this interpretation, the superlative should stand. But what does it matter, it's pretty darn big already.

I think if this was SSP and any other city and a hotel announced a $400 million dollar expansion on top on the ongoing $125 million renovation, the horns of Gabriel would begin to sound and all the followers of that horn would lay down in spasms. But around here, that was yesterday, we've got two new ones to talk about now. And that's just today. lol. Maybe we'll a new Krispy Kreme too. :)

Que sera sera.

:whistling:

Do you think they will build an Amphitheater?

The one that just closed(which I won't even name), was such a pain.

Awful parking,I'll stop there.

Thanks

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The Hotel has reopened. Just wonder about the mall, :/.

The redesigned Cascades lobby is gorgeous, and the hotel in general looks like nothing ever happened!

The mall.. kindof a sore subject for a lot of people.. I personally am not sure if it will ever re-open the way it was, even if they get the additional $150mil. I think Gaylord should purchase it back from Simon, and redevelop it.. it's probably going to hurt their business more than anything (with the exception of maybe tax revenue).

The sad part about Simon is... they aren't even hurting from the closure. This is a multi-billion dollar company, with literally billions of dollars available to use for purchases, etc.

• 7 months later...

Not in Nashville.. but... Gaylord just announced an $800M Denver resort

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2011/6/21/gaylord_announces_800m_denver_area_resort

Also, for those who didn't hear, the Opry Mills mall announced not long ago that it will reopen in the spring, and Dave & Buster's, the theater, and others in that area plan to reopen this fall/winter.

Archived