Chattanooga Population

sunrisese

Those boundaries are for future growth, but not necessarily by Chattanooga. When the 2020 plan was laid out the cities declared where their future growth/annexations would be. So even though it declared they may or may not annex it for a long time. So there is no time table for annexation. There is a time table on what has to happen after annexation. I think within five years services have to be provided.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The shaded areas in the "Development Form" map just depict how that those sections are currently developed...based on street density, population density, building types, urban services, etc.

The urban growth plan spells out the extent of future annexations by every municipality regardless of what urban form sector it might fall into. Most folks are looking at Soddy Daisy, Chattanooga and Collegedale...Annexation may be allowed, but not a sure bet...each entity will have to decide if it is feasible.

In the area between the current Chatt. boundary on E. Brainerd Rd and the UGB on Ooltewah-Ringgold, there is a kind of "no man's land". Although those areas are attractive annexation targets, they are on sewer....and the County's WWTA and the City of Chattanooga haven't come to an agreement on how those areas should be served. Imagine the cost of sewering Mountain Shadows and Hurricane Creek...

I believe Chattanooga is growing faster than census estimates show. I don't think the inner neighborhoods are declining as fast as they have in the past and areas like St. Elmo, Highland Park, Eastlake and Battery Heights are poised to be rediscovered.

Growth is most rapid in East Brainerd, Summit and Ooltewah/Collegedale and the Hixson growth is eventually going to become Soddy-Daisy growth. Harrison is picking up its pace as well. Even if Toyota passes on Enterprise South, I'm confident Chattanooga will lure another prospect that will build and bring jobs and boost Hamilton County. Also, as Brainerd and suburban East Ridge become more diverse in population, the average age in those areas is dropping. Many of the newcomers are hispanic immigrants who are younger than the average native American of any race or ethnicity, and have a higher birth rate than any race or ethnic group. This will reverse the declines these inner rung suburbs have been experiencing since the late 70's. Red Bank and the Highway 58 area will be the next areas to experience the demographic shifts in Brainerd and East Ridge, probably in the next few years it will become obvious there.

I believe Chattanooga is growing faster than census estimates show. I don't think the inner neighborhoods are declining as fast as they have in the past and areas like St. Elmo, Highland Park, Eastlake and Battery Heights are poised to be rediscovered.

Growth is most rapid in East Brainerd, Summit and Ooltewah/Collegedale and the Hixson growth is eventually going to become Soddy-Daisy growth. Harrison is picking up its pace as well. Even if Toyota passes on Enterprise South, I'm confident Chattanooga will lure another prospect that will build and bring jobs and boost Hamilton County. Also, as Brainerd and suburban East Ridge become more diverse in population, the average age in those areas is dropping. Many of the newcomers are hispanic immigrants who are younger than the average native American of any race or ethnicity, and have a higher birth rate than any race or ethnic group. This will reverse the declines these inner rung suburbs have been experiencing since the late 70's. Red Bank and the Highway 58 area will be the next areas to experience the demographic shifts in Brainerd and East Ridge, probably in the next few years it will become obvious there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm spending tonight in DT at the Read House. The new EPB building looks very nice and sleek. Went jogging at the riverfront and was impressed by the activity on both sides of the river. Noticed where the two blocks of new condos will go around Cherry and 3rd Streets. When that's finished, it will help tie-in to the main part of downtown. Saw the Brabson (?) Place u/c too. That's filling in nicely at that prominent corner on Georgia and Fourth. Chatty keeps getting better and better.

Saw on the local news also that Ooltewah will be getting a new Target and Publix. And there is a large commercial development going up at the I-75 exit with three hotels and retail there. Also heard that 4,000 houses are planned for that part of the county.

All future annexations have been decided as part of the 2020 Growth Plan. All of the incorporated areas in Hamilton County had to work out their growth boundaries in the late 90's. (All counties in TN had to do this, it was the after math of the toy town law, when Middle Valley tried to incorporate) If memory serves me well Waldon and Signal Mtn had issues that they eventually settled as well as Chattanooga, Soddy Daisy, and Lakesite. I'm trying to locate a map of all future municipality boundaries, but the CHRPA doesn't have that plan on its site yet.

They finally put the 2020 Urban Growth Plan back online. Here is an image showing the future boundaries of the cities. Keep in mind this doesn't mean the areas will be annexed, only that they can be annexed. Cities can't annex it unless they declared it part of the future growth on the 2020 plan.

2020UrbanGrowth.jpg

Here is a link to the pdf

• 2 weeks later...

The TimesFreePress has an article on Chattanooga area population growth today. Basically N. Georgia counties continue their rapid growth.

Since 2000 area counties have posted to following numbers:

Catoosa GA 16.5% 8,734

Whitfield GA 11.3% 9,474

Sequatchie TN 14.4% (fastest growing in SETN last year)

Polk TN UNK -111

Jackson AL UNK -181

SE TN grew by an average of less than 2% while N. GA grew by 10.3%

If these trends continue N. Georgia will house the majority of Metro Chattanooga residents in 2090. The article also states that Atlanta may absorb Chattanooga before then. (I just don't see that happening that soon)

The TimesFreePress has an article on Chattanooga area population growth today. Basically N. Georgia counties continue their rapid growth.

Since 2000 area counties have posted to following numbers:

Catoosa GA 16.5% 8,734

Whitfield GA 11.3% 9,474

Sequatchie TN 14.4% (fastest growing in SETN last year)

Polk TN UNK -111

Jackson AL UNK -181

SE TN grew by an average of less than 2% while N. GA grew by 10.3%

If these trends continue N. Georgia will house the majority of Metro Chattanooga residents in 2090. The article also states that Atlanta may absorb Chattanooga before then. (I just don't see that happening that soon)

• 2 months later...

Archived