Crisler remake could be costly

DetroitMan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the article, but please post a comment with it if you're going to post the link to an article.

If they go through with this, it would make the most sense if they did it at the same time as the stadium rennovations and made the two of them a comprable style.

Not a big fan of Crisler arena. My friends and I go to a few basketball games often, and the experience of the facilities is always pretty bad. The seats are old, worn, and uncomfortable, there's always cold air blowing your face, and the place in general looks pretty austere.

I think in terms of condition, it's not like it's falling apart, so a renovation would definitely be the way to go.

I could never understand why Crisler wasn't built as a multi-purpose arena for hockey as well. I know it's the "House that Cazzie built" but wouldn't it have been great to have the hockey team in there as well?

Or do folks enjoy the closeness of Yost? (I remember when the hockey games were played on Hoover street, in an old warehouse or packing house, or something. You might get 3,000 people in there.)

Not necessarily, and I'd say that quite the opposite seems to be happening. It's all about money, and if it means taking away general seating for higher paying box seats, the university is more than willing to shrink their maximum capacity for the monetary payoff. I'm not sure about this particular case, but bigger doesn't always mean better, and not even to greedy university trustees much of the time these days.

Lmichigan: I think you missed my point. Obviously, removing 100 or 200 seats to put in luxury boxes will not materially affect the size of the arena. But replacing a 13000 seat arena with one that has 6500 seats? (as would be done if Yost somehow replaced Crisler). Not a chance.

And, the renovation of Michigan Stadium will not materially reduce the number of seats, which will still top 108,000. It's not "The Big House" for nothing.

I presume that MSU fans like Breslin Arena and are not hankering to go back to the old fieldhouse??

How large is Crisler? I ask because I compare Crisler to the Breslin in that they are both "newish" arenas that are moved from their historic fieldhouses.

BTW, I do see your point, but I still don't think you've proved that bigger is always better to college sports. After you get past a certain size, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

On a nearly off-topic note, I love the old fieldhouses. In high school, I used to have track practice in Jenison. If others were using the tracks, we'd have to go to the upper decks and run around the arena.

How large is Crisler? I ask because I compare Crisler to the Breslin in that they are both "newish" arenas that are moved from their historic fieldhouses.

BTW, I do see your point, but I still don't think you've proved that bigger is always better to college sports. After you get past a certain size, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

On a nearly off-topic note, I love the old fieldhouses. In high school, I used to have track practice in Jenison. If others were using the tracks, we'd have to go to the upper decks and run around the arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived