The Shoppes at River Bend

Huntsville_secede

I doubt this development will come off the ground within the next 5 years either. The urban area's population would need to surpass the critical mass of 500,000 to get more major retailers to consider opening 2 locations within this market, and at the moment the latest numbers of the urban area is like 380k-410k.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This from a year or so ago, The Chamber of Commerce,

if anything this area is vastly underserved.

The 50-mile retail trade area of Huntsville exceeds a population base of 859,000, with US Census Bureau

estimates of 900,000 people by 2005. The 100-mile radius exceeds 4 million people. For the past 20 years, the

daily growth rate for the trade area is 25 people per day; with 40% of the population living in the Huntsville

Metro Area. Huntsville has been identified as one of the Top 50 fastest growing metro areas in the USA.

Average annual wages for Huntsville residents are consistently among the Top 3 in the Southeast, with over 14%

of the workforce employed in high tech

This from a year or so ago, The Chamber of Commerce,

if anything this area is vastly underserved.

The 50-mile retail trade area of Huntsville exceeds a population base of 859,000, with US Census Bureau

estimates of 900,000 people by 2005. The 100-mile radius exceeds 4 million people. For the past 20 years, the

daily growth rate for the trade area is 25 people per day; with 40% of the population living in the Huntsville

Metro Area. Huntsville has been identified as one of the Top 50 fastest growing metro areas in the USA.

Average annual wages for Huntsville residents are consistently among the Top 3 in the Southeast, with over 14%

of the workforce employed in high tech

I understand where you are coming from rnc. Personally, I beleive Huntsville could support this much retail. Huntsville already draws from all of North Alabama, Southern Tennessee, East Mississippi, and West Georgia. I'm just thinking with the announcement of this many projects people around the country will think, "Hmmmm, what's going on over there in North Alabama." That curiosity will force them to dig and find out what's in the area. There are a lot of stores that do not have a presence in the Huntsville area and another development would help that. Huntsville is a burgeoning market, it has been growing for at least the past 50 years and will continue to grow.

I've spent time in Central Florida which has some incredible shopping destinations. Huntsville reminds me of what they say the Central Florida area was like about 20 - 25 years ago. I have the feeling that Huntsville is getting ready to burst and become a real hot spot in America. I can't wait to see what it will be like in a couple of years with just Bridge Street and Constellation completed.

it remains to be seen but retailers can't ignore the numbers

"The

Huntsville Metro Area is a significant retail importer, capturing 80% of 50-mile retail demand with 40% of the

population. In Cummings Research Park alone, total payroll exceeds $2 billion for 220 companies."

also this will be happening over a 5-8 year span. What is important is people in this area won't be driving to Nashville or Birmingham for retail. Some from those areas will come here just for the novelty and there will be some retailers that won't be in those cities. But you are correct in creating these high density areas.

This development on Zierdt doesn't seem too exciting at the moment and really could be done better but it is significant that this area is now being looked at carefully by many national developers. Careful planning should be priority in any case.

The 100 mile radius would basically include all of the Birmingham metro and most of the Nashville metro. Those people won't be driving to Huntsville to shop.

I think this Zierdt Rd development would be a huge mistake considering Bridge St is around the corner. Bridge St is needed here to make the Research Park even more attractive to companies. I think making sure that Bridge St, Constellation and other downtown developments are successful is far more important than trying to build another retail venue. A development like this may be possible in West Madison area, but I think the proposed location would saturate Huntsville and hurt the other more promising developments. I think having a couple areas of high density development, with lots of entertainment, shopping and restaurant options is much better than spreading it out over several areas.

I also think that all of these retail developments could oversaturate Huntsville, especially with this development being around 8 miles from the Constellation development and 4 miles from Bridge Street. If Huntsville could support another development such as this, then I would suggest it be built somewhere else in the city or the metro area, preferably close to the center of mass of population (I'm thinking between Athens and Huntsville, between Decatur and Huntsville, or in Meridianville).

Even with that said, Zierdt Road needs to be widened, and an interchange needs to be built at Zierdt Road/I-565 before or while this project is built, but we all know that won't happen anytime soon, unless the developer is prepared to fork over some cash.

For all of those who have doubts about whether this project will actually happen , I ask you to look at the 2007 Develpment Report for Debartolo Development where they have a one page interview titled "Sweet Home Alabama in High Demand for Retail Growth" which discusses their plans for the Shoppes at Cappes Farms in Opelika as well as The Peaks at SouthChase in Madison/Huntsville. (To get to this article go to www.debartolodevelopment.com and then click on 2007 Development Report and then scroll to page 9 (5 of 6) on the right hand side.) This is significant because out of their more than 25 current developments they have chosen to focus on these two in their annual report.

They reveal they now have plans for a residential component in the project when the interviewee says, "One of our other projects is in the Huntsville/Madison area and will be the regions premier multi-use power center, featuring one million square feet with residential and retail components."

While there has been discussion about oversaturation of the Huntsville retail market, there is a portion on the higher end which is underserved. When you consider that communities like Bowling Green, KY and Jackson, TN have a Macy's and Huntsville does not, it stands to reason this market could easily support at least one store. Also, the existing retailers have failed to meet this market. The Parisian soon to be Belk at Madison Square appears to be getting a predominance of lower end Belk brands squeezing out (or giving less floor space to) the better brands that Parisian has carried. Also, Bridge Street originally boasted a high end department store. I e-mailed the guy in charge of leasing and he responded back that the HSV market couldn't support a Macy's or Nordstrom - I see he is no longer doing their leasing. Bridge Street had the opportunity to land a high end department store or at least a Macy's and didn't do it, but opted for a Barnes and Noble, instead.

Due to this underserved market which the existing retailers have chosen not to meet, Debartolo is able to step up and meet the demand for this portion of the market and will probably be successful in doing it.

The 100 mile radius would basically include all of the Birmingham metro and most of the Nashville metro. Those people won't be driving to Huntsville to shop.

I think this Zierdt Rd development would be a huge mistake considering Bridge St is around the corner. Bridge St is needed here to make the Research Park even more attractive to companies. I think making sure that Bridge St, Constellation and other downtown developments are successful is far more important than trying to build another retail venue. A development like this may be possible in West Madison area, but I think the proposed location would saturate Huntsville and hurt the other more promising developments. I think having a couple areas of high density development, with lots of entertainment, shopping and restaurant options is much better than spreading it out over several areas.

West Madison is going a mini shopping center with a Wal-mart and movie theatre, perhaphs they can expand on that a little and then it would be serving Madison and East Limestone as well as Athens.

Yeah they may think they are building this next year but they haven't realized yet that they can't. First of all this whole project is dependent on ALDOT building a zierdt road exit QUICKLY HA! One million square feet is about the retail space of the Summit it may be a little bigger now cuz theyve expanded several times since they opened but it wasnt even 1 million square feet when it originally opened in the first phase. There will be definitely be oversaturation I dont think we can support more than what Bham has they have the Summit and perhaphs another smaller lifestyle type center at the Brookwood mall. This would give us 3 all built within a 2-3 year period.

On the Nordstrom thing, they have basically said if they were to open a store in the state it would be in the Birmingham area as it has a much larger population and more high end households within its 50 mile trade area. I'm sorry, but it doubtful that Huntsville will be seeing a Nordstrom location open here before Birmingham. Another thing that may affect you guys from getting a store would be the prospect of Nashville getting one at the Mall at Green Hills. However, they may consider the area for a Nordstrom Rack outlet located in an mixed-used lifestyle center like Bridge Street or the Constellation, but within the next 5 years a full-line Nordstrom is not likely.

IMHO, Huntsville is vastly under-retailed and if I were an upscale retailer, Huntsville would be ground zero for my next store. Hunstville's education level, demographics, business climate, etc are the perfect storm for new retail. You guys should see retail booming for several years to come. Retailers do one thing really well.....follow disposable incomes. :) Huntsville has the incomes. :thumbsup:

I see Huntsville as the market in Alabama to watch for future "first" in the state, edging out the Birmingham metro. Just my opinion as expat-Alabamian. :)

By WENDY REEVES

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Kirkindall says DeBartolo officials remain interested

MADISON - The DeBartolo mall development, which created a firestorm of controversy between Huntsville and Madison, is still in the works, Madison Mayor Sandy Kirkindall told the City Council Monday night.

Kirkindall said a team of DeBartolo Development consultants were in town a few weeks ago.

Kirkindall said a justification committee has not yet approved the interchange.

why is this a difficult decision, the interchange is needed in any case.

Even with the money in the bank to build an interchange (Tanner rd/I-65( ALDOT)will do it when they feel like and even then don't expect much.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

By WENDY REEVES

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Kirkindall says DeBartolo officials remain interested

MADISON - The DeBartolo mall development, which created a firestorm of controversy between Huntsville and Madison, is still in the works, Madison Mayor Sandy Kirkindall told the City Council Monday night.

Kirkindall said a team of DeBartolo Development consultants were in town a few weeks ago.

Kirkindall said a justification committee has not yet approved the interchange.

why is this a difficult decision, the interchange is needed in any case.

Even with the money in the bank to build an interchange (Tanner rd/I-65( ALDOT)will do it when they feel like and even then don't expect much.

• 4 months later...

'Lifestyle center' still in works

Saturday, December 29, 2007

By WENDY REEVES

[email protected]

Developer awaits decision from state on intersection

Times Staff Writer

MADISON - Local developer Louis Breland says he's still planning to create a retail "lifestyle center" on property he tried to deannex this year.

I still thinkn they need to hold off building this for a few years. The westside has enough retail, if this thing is built it means BridgeStreet will never have any retail expansions which is fine I guess as long as there isnt oversaturation and buildings start becoming vacant.

If they wait for ALDOT and the FHA to make a decision on the interchange, it could be a very long time before this is built. And when it is built, I don't see a big effect on Bridge Street. There are plenty of upscale stores and restaurants that didn't set up shop in Bridge Street that still want to locate in the area. Also, the Peaks will put more of an emphasis on big-box stores, something that Bridge Street doesn't have. We'll probably see stores like Sam's Club, Target, and Home Depot in a power center located next to the lifestyle center.

If they wait for ALDOT and the FHA to make a decision on the interchange, it could be a very long time before this is built. And when it is built, I don't see a big effect on Bridge Street. There are plenty of upscale stores and restaurants that didn't set up shop in Bridge Street that still want to locate in the area. Also, the Peaks will put more of an emphasis on big-box stores, something that Bridge Street doesn't have. We'll probably see stores like Sam's Club, Target, and Home Depot in a power center located next to the lifestyle center.

WAFF-TV reports that DeBartolo has pulled out of the development. There is a possibility that another developer will pick up where they left off.

It just isn't the right time for a development of this size to go to an area that is so close to other large retail centers. Besides, it would have taken them forever if they waited on approval of the interchange.

WAFF report: Madison development put on hold

WAFF-TV reports that DeBartolo has pulled out of the development. There is a possibility that another developer will pick up where they left off.

It just isn't the right time for a development of this size to go to an area that is so close to other large retail centers. Besides, it would have taken them forever if they waited on approval of the interchange.

WAFF report: Madison development put on hold

• 3 weeks later...

Unbelieveably, this project is still alive. I just checked with the Debartolo Development website (www.debartolodevelopment.com) and The Peaks at Southchase comes up with an aerial picture showing a different configuration of stores than they have shown previously and on the page describing the project, the "Last Updated" says January 22, 2008. Once you click on the image all of the brochures are the same as they have always had.

However, if you look closely at the picture before you click on it you will see that the lifestyle portion is no longer visible and there appears to be 5 or 6 big box retailers.

Apparently, Breland hasn't given up either. The last I read he indicated there would be a residential portion to the project, but it's hard to tell where the residential portion would be from the aerial picture.

Can anyone else figure out what is going in there (from the picture) or has anyone heard anything from City of Madison connections?

Archived