Duke Medical Center

durham_rtp

Hey...just saw this on the N&O. Interesting article about a new Cancer Center at Duke. It's nice to see that Duke Medical Center is still committed to Durham and the Triangle community.

While I may not always agree with the relationship between Duke University and Durham...the Medical Center has given back and has helped the community quite a bit.

http://www.newsobserver.com/150/story/533965.html

I am also curious to know how big this tower will be :D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I'm a member of the Cancer Center and didn't even know about this. I guess I spend too much time in the lab. I do have a feeling I know where its going though as I have had suspicions after they built the new water chiller plant. In similar news the new cancer center at UNC is humming along.

Hey...just saw this on the N&O. Interesting article about a new Cancer Center at Duke. It's nice to see that Duke Medical Center is still committed to Durham and the Triangle community.

While I may not always agree with the relationship between Duke University and Durham...the Medical Center has given back and has helped the community quite a bit.

http://www.newsobserver.com/150/story/533965.html

I am also curious to know how big this tower will be :D

Duke and it's affliations have helped not only the Durham community but also the world at Large. One of the most reknowned hospitals period.

Duke and it's affliations have helped not only the Durham community but also the world at Large. One of the most reknowned hospitals period.

No argument from me :thumbsup:. Tell the people of Durham this though. We run one of the largest clinical trials studies facility in the world and have one of the best brain tumor centers in the world as well-a new cancer center was long overdue. Our genetics/bioinformatics program is pretty good as well in regards to cancer research. One thing I wish we did better was basic science in regards to cancer-our program is more clinically oriented than MIT's Whitehead Institute or even UCSF or MD Anderson. We are making progress in this arena though as Duke just transfered $280 million into a basic science research fund.

What's not to agree with? The town-gown issues aren't much more than a tool the media uses to make their stories more edgy. Heck, the city council just OK'd a rezoning plan for Duke.

More info on this project. Cost will be around $400 million and will sit where the Morris Cancer Center currently resides in the Duke South portion of the hospital. There is also currently construction on the new $70 million bed tower adjacent to this site and the new nursing school building has just been completed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It sounds as is Duke will be essentially be building a new hospital(s) adjacent to the current Duke South and Duke North-a 950K sq. ft. building (which is massive) and a 500K sq. ft. building (most likely the new cancer center).

Story

In addition to that they just approved a new $100 million building for the Nicholas School of the Environment (a massive renovation of the old chemistry building across from the law school).

Story

• 1 month later...

It sounds as is Duke will be essentially be building a new hospital(s) adjacent to the current Duke South and Duke North-a 950K sq. ft. building (which is massive) and a 500K sq. ft. building (most likely the new cancer center).

Story

In addition to that they just approved a new $100 million building for the Nicholas School of the Environment (a massive renovation of the old chemistry building across from the law school).

Story

Confirmation here & here.

• 550k sf
  • $600M
  • 1,000 jobs

Do they have any space over there? FYI, Duke Medical Center is the largest single employer in the Triangle... IIRC, about 25k employees. Dan may have better numbers though. Another reason to connect this with transit...

^The expansion of the hospital/cancer center will be where the Bell Building now sits-its an old research building between Duke North and South along the tram-way. I imagine there will be a new parking deck constructed for these 2 new projects-maybe on the surface lot off Trent Dr. After these expansions there won't be much more room for growth although I have seen a lot of activity across the street on Fulton-its possible there may be a parking deck expansion being done there as well (the Duke North Parking Deck). Also Central Campus may provide more space for the hospital as its very close to the Duke South Clinics.

• 4 years later...

The 1st phase of this project (the Duke Cancer Institute) will be opening next month. The School of Medicine building is next with the hospital pavillion slated for a 2013 opening. The Duke North entrance on Erwin and Fulton will be relocated with this addition to be closer to Duke South.

http://construction.dukemedicine.org/projects/duke-cancer-center

Archived