New 21st ave pedestrian bridge

Duke32

Monday they will start drilling for caissons for the new pedestrian bridge that will cross over 21st ave at Vandy where the parking garage addition is being built. I don't know if it will be like the one at 21st and Edgehill Ave., but I would imagine it would be close. Apparently there is going to be a structural steel framed building on top of the parking garage when it's all done.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say what? I didn't know about both of these developments. Where exactly will the bridge cross over 21st? Will it extend to Peabody? I'm aware of the hundreds of millions of dollars in new buildings at Peabody and most of the medical center towers, but which project will go on top of the garage (the garage next to Oxford House?). What's going to happen to OH? That's where I used to get my haircuts.

The bridge will come from Peabody, over 21st ave, straight into the parking garage at the 3rd or 4th level. I'm not sure what building is going on top of the garage. The drawings for the garage didn't even show a building on top of it, but that's what the contractor told me.

OH is still there and the barber shop is still packed every day.

The bridge is going to go about where the word "under construction" is on the central garage. Link to area map

Medical Center South was demolished to make way for the expansion to Central Garage. Offices will go above the parking garage, and ground floor retail will front 21st Avenue. Some of the retail space will be occupied by the current retail tenants at Oxford House (the barber shop, the sandwich place), who will be forced to move because Oxford House is to be demolished to make way for a grand entrance to the Medical Center. How the grand entrance will work with the parking garage in the way I'm not too sure. But I know OH is set to meet its demise.

OIC. Thanks for the info.

I used to live in West Hall my sophomore year, and sure would have loved a pedway across 21st. It was actually quite dangerous now that I recollect the way things were. We used to go through the middle hospital tower lobby and cut through to the back of Langford Hall to go to the main part of campus. With all the upgrades to "The Bod", things will be a lot nicer over there.

• 2 months later...

so, any new info on this? once again my barber (as of last week) still claim they are moving into street front in the new building. Duke, i know that you said that street front retail has been removed from the building (i dont doubt your info) and my untrained eyes agree with you. what is going on here? when should construction begin on the desperately needed ped. bridge? any chance i can call Vandy and change their minds?

so, any new info on this? once again my barber (as of last week) still claim they are moving into street front in the new building. Duke, i know that you said that street front retail has been removed from the building (i dont doubt your info) and my untrained eyes agree with you. what is going on here? when should construction begin on the desperately needed ped. bridge? any chance i can call Vandy and change their minds?

• 1 month later...

Archived