Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunshine

Name ONE of your downtown greatest acievement in 2006

32 posts in this topic

Now that 2006 is over. What is your downtown greatest achievement in 2006? Is it that the new tallest has broke ground? A new arena? A new aquarium? Please post only ONE!

Downtown Bemidji in 2006: The completion of the city services building and the restoration and addition to the courthouse that was built with the original architecture/design in mind. Lady Justice gleams a beautiful copper again after being lime green for many years.

Well I think it opened in 2006........Seattle's new downtown library is certainly the city's newest gem!

Hmmm, I would choose the completion of the renovation of the historic Nissen building in Winston-Salem from tired old office building to luxury apartments. There are many more in the pipe though...

1344.jpg1276.jpg1274.jpg727.jpg

I would definately say the completion of the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, easily the best building downtown Nashville has seen in many years.

Hard to pick one for Grand Rapids but I will say the completeion of the JW Marriott building downtown. There will be a lot of competition for the 2007 accomplishment :good:

Flint's greatest acheivement is the complete restoration of the First Street Lofts from a crappy bank and offices to condos.

Went from this: photo by Allan

S_104_0465.JPG

To this: Photo by ZachariaDaMan

108_2822.jpg

Miami's new half billion dollar Performing Arts Center designed by Cesar Pelli which has two halls:

dsc04910sz0.jpg

233822646611.jpg

1476598.jpg

1476593.jpg

dsc0531220061018mx8.jpg

we are very proud!

Man, i normally prefer classic theaters, but that one is just awesome, really!

Hard to pick one for Grand Rapids but I will say the completeion of the JW Marriott building downtown. There will be a lot of competition for the 2007 accomplishment :good:

:shok: Wow!! That new PAC is mind blowing! If my howm town constructs a new PAC which I hope they will and soon I hope it will be just as wild as this one. Awsome!

Miami's new half billion dollar Performing Arts Center designed by Cesar Pelli which has two halls:

dsc04910sz0.jpg

233822646611.jpg

1476598.jpg

1476593.jpg

dsc0531220061018mx8.jpg

we are very proud!

I'd say Tallahassee's opening two High Rise condominiums last year. The first of their kind in our downtown, and the first highrise construction in downtown Tallahassee since the early 90s.

SonyShots041.jpg

The Tennyson

SonyShots065-1.jpg

The Pointe / Gameday Center

What a beauty for a PAC Miami has! WOW! We've got one on the way, my hope is that it can be a fraction as nice as those pictures above.

From what I've seen on this thread, it looks like Miami wins this one hands down:)

The new center is simply heartstopping.

There have been so many projects here in the DC area that it hard to pick one. I think the newseum here in DC is probably one of the most important ones in recent memory. The newseum is an interactive museum for journalism which has been operating in nearby Rosslyn Virginia for the last 10 years or so. The museum will move into a new location right on Constitution Avenue between the white house and capitol. Symbolically recognizing a free press as the fourth part of a democratic government.

side_evening_large.jpg

Goegeous building. Too bad for Rossylyn. I love the newseum there.

The glass facade is awsome! :shades:

There have been so many projects here in the DC area that it hard to pick one. I think the newseum here in DC is probably one of the most important ones in recent memory. The newseum is an interactive museum for journalism which has been operating in nearby Rosslyn Virginia for the last 10 years or so. The museum will move into a new location right on Constitution Avenue between the white house and capitol. Symbolically recognizing a free press as the fourth part of a democratic government.

side_evening_large.jpg

Portland Center Stage moved into their new digs in 06...the Gerding Theater at the Armory. It isn't anything like the Miami theater, which is amazing, but is a beautiful restoration of 1891 Portland Armory building.

Gerding Theater

Seattle combined the arts with outdoor space in the new Olympic Sculpture Park in 06.

Olympic Sculpture Park

Portland Center Stage moved into their new digs in 06...the Gerding Theater at the Armory. It isn't anything like the Miami theater, which is amazing, but is a beautiful restoration of 1891 Portland Armory building.

Gerding Theater

for nashville, i would say it is the Viridian Tower. Although it may not seem like it on the surface, it has created a downtown housing boom with condos being built all over downtown now and boosting the downtown population to what the mayor had invisioned for his mayorship.

The restoration of the historic Heidelburg/Capitol House into the Hilton Capitol Center in downtown Baton Rouge.

caphousema9.jpg