Google plans data center in N.C

CapeFearRiver10

Unfortunately this how this state operates. Throw hundreds of millions to rural projects with no feasibility/impact studies because they know those studies will state the obvious-"no substantial impact" (maybe I give them too much credit on this one-maybe they actually do believe it will). However, when it comes to major infrastructure projects in the major urban areas it goes through microscope level review.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have already purchased land, are clearing and grading the land, and have hired armed guards from Wackenhut to patrol the property, I think they are here to stay.

I dont think its about the jobs Google itself will bring to the area, but rather the other businesses, shops, entertainment it will bring to the area. These are the places that can put the citizens here back to work.

Personally, I believe alot of people are envious that Google chose this part of NC instead of Charlotte or Raleigh to build on.

They have already purchased land, are clearing and grading the land, and have hired armed guards from Wackenhut to patrol the property, I think they are here to stay.

I dont think its about the jobs Google itself will bring to the area, but rather the other businesses, shops, entertainment it will bring to the area. These are the places that can put the citizens here back to work.

Personally, I believe alot of people are envious that Google chose this part of NC instead of Charlotte or Raleigh to build on.

Its just a data center. There is no domino effect with this project. Its like a call center. its not going to attract other businesses to that county. A data center needs no suppliers like a manufacturing facilty does. The other data centers around the country havent attracted other businesses to those areas. I wouldnt have a problem with this if it were a few million in incentives but $260 million is ridiculous for what the state is actually getting.

Wow, such negativity. I do think that the state and local poiliticians would have told google to go else where had they thought it would be of no benefit to the area. Yes its in a rural area, and I think that the fact companies can build cheap there without tax breaks, and with google coming to Lenoir, and Target Corp. coming to Newton, it seems the area just got a little more attractive than it was 2 months ago. Time will tell.

Wow, such negativity. I do think that the state and local poiliticians would have told google to go else where had they thought it would be of no benefit to the area. Yes its in a rural area, and I think that the fact companies can build cheap there without tax breaks, and with google coming to Lenoir, and Target Corp. coming to Newton, it seems the area just got a little more attractive than it was 2 months ago. Time will tell.

Another article summarizing whats been pointed out on here. Essentially this project will not have any significant ripple effect as far as future job creation/business relocation to the area. This deal will put a freeze on future tax breaks for relocating companies and gives critics of this practice an arsenal.

Article

The actual "local" money being spent on this project is probably very little. I think the important thing to remember here is that Google will not be paying Lenoir and Caldwell County a certain amount of tax money over a 30 year period. Lenoir and Caldwell are not paying Google, they're just not requiring them to pay a certain amount of property taxes. Both entities will still receive a substantial amount of property tax that they would not be receiving otherwise. Is it fair that the mom and pop convenience store is paying taxes over that span but Google is not? Probably not, but I think it is important to remember here that the net gain (property tax wise) is still a positive for the community.

This may be old news to some of you, but was news to me and is more than a little disconcerting Observer Google link, I had no idea how circumspect this deal truly is. Are extreme strong arm tactics common in this situation (aside from intelligence/military concerns)? This IMO is a gross perversion of public officials whose first priority is to the common good and more importantly public disclosure.

Not sure how you got that idea - the Dell deal was hotly contested when it was proposed and still is to this day, but the fact is that it is still going to employ far more people than this Google deal, so as bad as the Dell deal was it is great in comparison to this one. Some of the differences have been pointed out in this thread already.

• 1 month later...

Archived