Tallahassee | Politics

Florida

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here you go GG. He actually started a thread in our Coffeehouse about this subject.

hmmm...yes I can. Its from the St Pete Times Political Blog. I suggest reading the comments too! Theyre all basically insiders or lobbyists, or, yes, sometimes even the members themselves! Sometimes it can get VERY funny/ugly.

Senate Version

http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2007/04/senate_tax_plan.html

House Version

http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2007/02/house_outlines_.html

I think that should do it!

Does that $40k/day include travel, meals and the other incidentals?

Only good point of a special session is that it makes more money for our city.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought this was the best place that I saw.

SJ w/his previous post got me to thinking about the proposed tuition increase at UF and FSU (USF too but their deal is slightly different.) I'm not talking about the overall tuition increases at all the universities across the state, but the one where they want to make tuition higher at FSU, UF and USF.

How do you guys feel about it?

I am definitely FOR it. I think it sort of formally recognizes the fact that these two universities ARE the flagship universities of the state. I think these monies will help both schools continue to increase their research facilities and make them both better universities. From what I read, USF and UF are all on board. It's only FSU's student leaders and our two political bulldogs: King and Thrasher (thanks for lobbying for UCF there John) that are against the proposal.

After Charlie does a public opinion poll (I learned that one from you GG :thumbsup: ) do you think he'll veto or approve the proposal?

I saw last week that TK is pushing for this. I favor it, probably for reasons different from any I've yet heard. Higher Tuition will set FSU apart from the other universities in the state, but I'm not sure the school has done everything necessary to capture the Flagship status it desires. Still there seems to be some missing pieces, but I think its more than money, in some way it seems like leadership.

^Do you think that other universities in the state besides UF deserve flagship status more than FSU? I certainly do not. I've always looked at FSU and UF differently and will always do so no matter how much the "commuter schools" grow and what programs they acquire.

Of course that doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels. Those other schools are quickly catching up and this tuition increase is just one of the many ways FSU can remain on top.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought this was the best place that I saw.

SJ w/his previous post got me to thinking about the proposed tuition increase at UF and FSU (USF too but their deal is slightly different.) I'm not talking about the overall tuition increases at all the universities across the state, but the one where they want to make tuition higher at FSU, UF and USF.

How do you guys feel about it?

I am definitely FOR it. I think it sort of formally recognizes the fact that these two universities ARE the flagship universities of the state. I think these monies will help both schools continue to increase their research facilities and make them both better universities. From what I read, USF and UF are all on board. It's only FSU's student leaders and our two political bulldogs: King and Thrasher (thanks for lobbying for UCF there John) that are against the proposal.

After Charlie does a public opinion poll (I learned that one from you GG :thumbsup: ) do you think he'll veto or approve the proposal?

Not raising tuition was one of Charlie's big platforms. It would not be good for him, especially with the what he has done to the base, to sign that bill. The bill has flaws in it anyway, not necessarily bad intentions, but not the best execution (what do you expect, its government trying to solve problems!)

Ive done work w/ Thrasher and his firm, theyre all good people just doing their jobs. :)

It is quite possible that each university has the power to set its own tuition no matter what the Legislature says. The constitutional amendment in 2002 that created the Board of Governors is pretty broad. Of course, the minute any university tries to rock the boat, they can get zero-funded, so I doubt that any university will risk it.

The big problem is that Florida has set up its system in a way that does not promote institutes of higher learning. It promotes diploma mills. The guarantee that every community college graduate will have a spot in a university, the way the pre-paid plan was created, the way they do bright futures, etc., all compel the state to treat the 11 members of the SUS equally.

Of course it should cost more to go to UF than the other 10 and more to go to FSU (and probably USF too) than the rest. However, because they don't simply give a $5000 bright futures scholarship each year and because the pre-paid plan guarantees enrollment in any of the 11, they can't have different universities charging different amounts. Also, because the system is so rigid, changes have to be done at all once, which can be quite shocking. Can you imagine being a parent of a FSU student starting in the Fall and finding out that your kid's bright futures scholarship or pre-paid plan will not cover the 40% tuition hike and, more importantly, that you have to buy him the FSU-sponsored $1500 health insurance policy before he can enroll?

That's right. Beginning this Fall, no new FSU student can take a class unless he buys the FSU-approved health insurance or demonstrates that his current coverage is adequate. To be adequate, your current plan must include a provider network in Leon, in- and outpatient mental health services, pregnancy coverage for females, and a coverage cap of no less than $250,000. If you are covered by your parents's plan but lack one of those things, they have to buy you a whole new plan for $1500.

Crist is incredibly popular right now, but I don't know if he is willing to anger a lot of the money-donating base so early in his first term. I would not be surprised to see him veto the tuition bill. The health insurance thing will happen. It's not part of any law, and FSU has adopted this policy in a way that makes it very difficult for anyone to challenge it. Apparently, the Board of Governors is looking into making health insurance a requirement at all 11 universities within the next few years too.

Sorry Charlie's platform is to keep our higher institutions wallowing in mediocrity. What do you mean GG by the statement "what he has done to the base?" I'm afraid w/our philosophical differences your idea of "good people" and my idea are polar opposites.

GG, I read what you are saying and I'll just say that good people can work for bad causes.

Charlie may not want our colleges to wallow in mediocrity, but by doing nothing or vetoing the tuition hike, he's allowing them to continue this way.

bahmo does say it best: "Diploma Mills." His summary was spot-on. Good job.

That is what I thought you meant about Charlie, that he THANK GOODNESS has moved away for the Far Right. But you are right, he did run as a JEB! Bush republican....I remember that b/c I cringed every time the words were spoken. I'm glad he isn't serving in that style no matter what the public opinion polls say about him.

That is disheartening to hear that Charlie isn't too good at responding back to the public. You are correct, that will come back to bite him in the long run.

Charlie's attitude towards things is "we need to fix the problem, but Im not going to put any input to it and just let someone else figure it out that way I dont get criticized if it doesnt work, and I can blame it ALL on the legislature."

And bahmo, I dont know if you have dealt with Charlie's staff, So I would call his staff many things, but I dont think practical and competent would be two of them (again, with the exception of George and Towson).

Thanks to Republican gerrymandering your district extends all the way over here to Lafayette Park and of course down to Citrus and Marion counties.

I don't know much about Dean, of course I'll have to vote for the Dems in the primary and I don't know much about them either. However I do know who I will not be voting for: the funeral director Baxley.

He sponsored this.

Can you image trying to recruit top-notch professors for our universities w/this law in affect?

Thanks to Republican gerrymandering your district extends all the way over here to Lafayette Park and of course down to Citrus and Marion counties.

I don't know much about Dean, of course I'll have to vote for the Dems in the primary and I don't know much about them either. However I do know who I will not be voting for: the funeral director Baxley.

He sponsored this.

Can you image trying to recruit top-notch professors for our universities w/this law in affect?

Dean is supported by Argenziano. They are from the same area. Dean was my Step Fathers boss for 16 years at Citrus Cty sheriffs department. If I am not mistaken Argenziano beat Dean out on the Senate seat last time.

Nah man, I'm gonna leave you alone on that one. Besides it's Friday and you deserve a break from some jabbing.

You know by telling me Dean is a RINO only makes me like him more.

How long is remaining in Nancy's term? Not long if I recall correctly, something like 18 months? This winner would serve what, only one session as our Senator, then have to run again?

bahmo I'm w/you. Baxely scares me just as much as Bill "I'll run for any office" McCollum.

So GG, are you still as big a fan of Crispy as you were before he was elected? I can say from where I sit, he's just as I expected he would be as governor, which is why I'm not at all disappointed with how things have gone thus far since he came to office. I think Crispy likes Tallahassee, and his views seem moderate enough to reach out to both sides of the political spectrum. He's not the typical "hateful" republican, and I like that. He gets my stamp of approval so far. :thumbsup:

Archived