Tallahassee | Politics

Florida

I see how you're trying to spin this, but what you're really saying is this new structure is still going to cause many of us with fixed, and limited incomes, who already find it hard enough to save anything, more hardship, therefore asking us to cut back our trips to McDonalds! I'm sorry, but it is insensitive, not on your part, but on the part of those who've proposed this instead of figuring out a way to reduce the value of the home exposed to taxation, or figure out some true insurance reform.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info GG and I look forward to more info from you on this deal. Until I know the details of the proposal, I can't be for or against it. You know what they say "the devil is the in the details."

One more question since you answered the one automobile purchases: As a FL resident, if I purchase a car in Thomasville, GA, do I pay FL sales tax on the car or GA sales tax on the car?

^That makes total sense which is surprising coming from a Repubbie-Gator. :D Thanks for the info. I thought that might be how it works. I was asking the question b/c I was wondering if it would hurt the Tally auto dealers by making it cheaper via the sales tax to buy a car in GA. However based on your info., it would not be.

^That makes total sense which is surprising coming from a Repubbie-Gator. :D Thanks for the info. I thought that might be how it works. I was asking the question b/c I was wondering if it would hurt the Tally auto dealers by making it cheaper via the sales tax to buy a car in GA. However based on your info., it would not be.

GG is right about the Car tax.

But it still does seem you've taken a position on this issue to me. I'll believe you if you say you haven't but that's not the impression I'm given. Nor would I be surprised when you come out of the closet and tell everyone here that you're the mastermind behind this whole proposal.

So many things are in place to allow the rich to save money. Consider how much the rich often save with their good credit ratings, compared to a middle or lower class person financing the same thing, as one example.

I tend to play Devils Advocate on issues like this. I will play both sides to different people to see what they think about it, and hear different perspectives. I truthfully dont have a position, and still havent even read the bill.

The same things that are in place to help rich people help middle and lower class people as well. If everyone would simply pay their bills, and not buy things they cant afford at that moment, they too could have a good credit score. Thats not just for "rich" people. I see people who are struggling to keep the lights on at home etc, but are driving around a $45,000 vehicle, then that gets reposessed, and thats what ruins their credit. Thats irresponsible on their part, not anyone elses.

Oh yea, dont give me that much credit TJ, I promise you I am not the mastermind of this legislation. Too many loopholes! :shades:

It's not as simple as you make it. In the perfect world, no one would ever get laid off, or have their income reduced for some unforseen reason. Many people go out and purchase a car on the promise that their steady income will continue and when it doesn't, despite their best efforts they go into a default. This is where the wealthy have an upper hand. I'm all for everyone paying their bills and living within their means. Lord knows I try.

Duh, I must have missed that part.......this is a constitutional amendment??? If so, definitely count me AGAINST it and no more questions or discussion about it from me. Whether it's wrong or right or inbetween, it does not belong in the state constitution and nor do the pigs!

Youre right, and those who truly have a tough time, I feel very bad for. But, there are also equally as many, if not more, who are living on handouts who will still go out and buy that car knowing that they cannot afford it. People act as if the rich are just "gifted" to be rich. They forget that those people bust their asses to make the money they do. The top 10% in America foot over 60% of the bill. While I dont have numbers to back my claim, I would venture to guess that the numbers are very similar at the state level. If this bill actually does give them a break, then I think thats not a bad thing.

As far as the sales tax negatively impacting lower income people, items such as food, medications, etc are not taxed. And quite honestly, they really shouldnt be spending money on items other than what they need. Monies after that should be directed towards savings. The "Beans and Rice" diet, as Dave Ramsey would say.

Anyway, I actually read the bill today. I will tell you that for every provision that I do like, there is one that I equally dislike. So, we'll see. I doubt it will pass as a constitutional amendment...this doesnt belong in the constitution.

Well, not that it will have a lot of influence on anyone, I have made my stance on the issue.

I am not in favor of this measure. There are a few basic reasons why.

First is that it would eventually become a constitutional amendment. I dont believe issues such as this belong there. The constitution is there to limit the power of the government and protect peoples BASIC rights (that can be a whole different discussion). This will be an example of why Im glad the "super majority amendment" passed. It will be significantly harder to tack anything on the constitution anymore. LEAVE THE DAMN THING ALONE!

Second, the bill still allows for local governments to raise millage rates by a unanimous vote. Then, you would be getting drilled twice. If the legislature could do something more with that provision, then they would have my attention (maybe).

Third, I believe that local governments are more in touch with the needs of their people moreso than the state, and the state more so than the feds. This is a basic Republican platform. Tallahassee (not the actual city) is trying to give itself too much power. While property taxes would be saved, people would begin to lose the most basic of services they have become accustomed too from their local governments.

Finally, you can try and dress it up as you may, but this is a TAX INCREASE. I am fundamentally against this for any reason, and true Republicans should be too. I have a set amount of money each month/year that I have to live on. I dont get to go to my boss and tell him to raise my salary everytime I want or need more money. Nor should the government.

Property taxes still need to be addressed. This measure will probably pass the House, but I can (almost) guarantee you that it will not pass the Senate, and if it does, it will not be near the same form that came out of the House.

Anyway, those are the basic reasons, there are more, and the reasons I listed are more in depth.

Let me know what you think!

(Surprised TJ? :P )

Not surprised at all. :good: I was hoping you'd view this as a tax increase from the beginning, despite the fact that you could possibly realize savings on your property taxes. I think of all the shopping I do throughout the year, and this measure would have a major impact. So I'm glad you've returned to your Political Party's true roots, although I wish they would join you.

What I think Florida needs are legislators with the guts to make cuts in areas of the budget where funds could better be spent. If this means cutting funds for construction in these high insurance areas, so be it. We're all being asked to make sacrifices these days. We can't have it all.

Like you and Poonther, GG, I'm also against changes to our State's constitution.

I'm actually surprised to hear you say this. Even renters pay property taxes, you just don't realize it. Do you think your landlord loves you that much that they will allow you to live rent free. The place I live in is currently live in is valued at $50,000. Which means it was probably purchased for less. But let's say for the purpose of this argument that it was purchased for $50,000. This property is likely mortgaged at $269.00 a month, assuming current financing options. Information Available on our Leon County property appraisal's website indicates my space is assessed at $1,034.80 a yr. / 12 Months is $86.23 a month.

$269.00 Mortgage (not insured)

$ 86.23 Taxes

----------------------------------------

$355.23 Total

$475.00 My Rent

$355.23 Mortgage + Taxes

----------------------------------------

$119.77 Cash Flow for Owners

Trust me... I'm not special, you are paying some taxes buddy! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Archived