Yay Hillary is running

voyager12

Perhaps it would benefit the Democrats immeasureably if John McCain wins the Republican nomination. They would be able to assasinate him politically when they remind the voters how he (McCain) supported Bush's war efforts! That would make the Democrats' job of winning much easier.

Early frontrunners usually peter out quickly.....I bet McCain won't get past New Hampshire.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clinton is definately the 500lb gorilla in the race when it comes to fundraising having media operatives out there willing to shill for her campaign on the national level. Now with that said, Edwards has the ground game in Iowa, South Carolina, and Nevada established to run a darn good campaign from everything I hear. At the end of the day media exposure and money can only take you so far when it comes to the early caucuses and primaries which are very local affairs, thus such advantages can be overcome by better motivated, managed, and established ground operations. Then there is Obama, who might just be inspiring enough to make some serious waves on the grassroots level and throw a wild card into the race...however I'm not so sure yet how his run will play out at this point; he's campaign is one to watch.

Hillary will likely do poorly in Iowa and New Hampshire, but will likely do very well in South Carolina. She could do relatively well in the south as she would likely have near 100% support of blacks and higher support than average among women.

She may not do well, however, in the west, especially if McCain is her opponent.

I think though, honestly, the only formiddable opponent in the Republican party (despite all the hooplah about McCain and Giuliani) is former AR governor Mike Huckabee. I think his more moderate position on things (which indicates principles with a willingness to compromise as compared to centrism which is an ideology of its own) will be a definite draw for him. I think he will do well in teh Republican primaries in places like Iowa and New Hampshire.

If he runs against Hillary, it will split southern support more towards Huckabee and Hillary will only have a chance of winning by picking up the Gore/Kerry states plus one more.

Hoopla about Giuliani? I think he'd be much more moderate than most people assume. Hillary scares me out of my wits. Edwards is just a trial lawyer with an amiable face. Obama? Good speaker without enough experience. Of all the Democratic candidates so far, Richardson appears to be the most interesting. I hope the Democratic party is smart enough not to trot out Gore or Kerry again.

If Hillary wins the S.C. primary, I will eat my hat. And it's a big hat too---that's how sure I am that she doesn't stand a chance in S.C.

I can see Edwards winning S.C. since he won it handily the last go round. I can see Edwards winning EVERYWHERE. For those that aren't familiar with him, he's easily the best communicator in the Democratic party after Bill Clinton. I could even envision Edwards coming damn close to winning N.C. in a general election.

I also think he could win the electoral votes of Missouri and Florida with a give-it-all effort. Edwards is the dream candidate. I hope the Democrats realize that early on. Edwards can win the big prize. Hillary cannot.

Meet the Press is a great program BTW. I saw it too and I got the same impression. What I came away with was that before Bush announced it, McCain said that 20K troops was not enough and the plan was doomed to failure. Now that Bush has finally announced what he is doing, McCain has changed his tune and supports it with "concerns". I am not sure what he is trying to do either as he no longer seems to be a person of principles.

I'm not sure folks from other parts of the country understand just how unpopular Hillary is in the South. When Southern people don't like her, they REALLY don't like her! They're not going to change their minds about her.

But if she does poorly in S.C. as I suspect she will, it could seriously cripple her campaign.

Do ya'll suppose she really thinks she could win in S.C. and in the general election????

I'm not sure folks from other parts of the country understand just how unpopular Hillary is in the South. When Southern people don't like her, they REALLY don't like her! They're not going to change their minds about her.

But if she does poorly in S.C. as I suspect she will, it could seriously cripple her campaign.

Do ya'll suppose she really thinks she could win in S.C. and in the general election????

I said she'd do well in the primary. But I guess you're right about Obama.

In the general election, I don't see South Carolina voting for a Democrat for about the next 70 years, so it's pretty much a lost cause. The geographical solidification of party control is scary. (The Northeast and the South along with parts of the west).

I think the Solid South has returned.

Hillary's unpopularity amongst Southerners stems from her just being married to Bill Clinton more or less. Bill was viewed by most Southerners (excluding myself) as a liberal, womanizer that had very low moral standards. Many think that Hillary condoned Bill's actions and trysts as A'OK, thus it shown her in a very low light.

I know this is very shallow and ignorant, but that is how a lot of Southerners think. This mentality seems to be very prevalent amongst Southern Baptists and people from the Deep South.

Hillary's unpopularity amongst Southerners stems from her just being married to Bill Clinton more or less. Bill was viewed by most Southerners (excluding myself) as a liberal, womanizer that had very low moral standards. Many think that Hillary condoned Bill's actions and trysts as A'OK, thus it shown her in a very low light.

I know this is very shallow and ignorant, but that is how a lot of Southerners think. This mentality seems to be very prevalent amongst Southern Baptists and people from the Deep South.

In my case, as a Gay Southerner who has been in the Democratic party for 20 years and born and raised in SC, I would not vote for Hillary in the primary. I think she has been too unremarkable in what she has done in the congress, was too quick to support the war in Iraq because it was convenient to agree with with status quo, and frankly I am tired of either a Bush or Clinton being in the White House since 1980.

BTW, thank God that buffoon Kerry is making a speech about not running for president in 2008 as I type this. In his typical fashion it is drawn out, difficult to understand, and totally irrelevant. It is funny as he hasn't even said it yet, and CNN had enough of it and cut him off. They implied that when he finally got around to making the announcement they would go back to it. :whistling:

BTW, thank God that buffoon Kerry is making a speech about not running for president in 2008 as I type this. In his typical fashion it is drawn out, difficult to understand, and totally irrelevant. It is funny as he hasn't even said it yet, and CNN had enough of it and cut him off. They implied that when he finally got around to making the announcement they would go back to it. :whistling:

With Bush/Gore in 2000, I think it showed the re-solidification of the south. Gore was a southerner, a guy who grew up on a tobacco farm. G.W was a transplant from Connecticut with old money/power that moved to Texas to get rich off of oil. Yet the south chose Bush over Gore. In 2004, they chose Bush overwhelmingly over Kerry. While one could argue that it was because Kerry was from the northeast, southerners voted happily for Democrats from the north before the 1960s.

Archived