Providence Skyline Lighting

Garris

I'm not sure we have a dedicated forum for this topic. If so, someone correct me. If not, it's about time...

Some questions:

- Does anyone know why the Superman building hasn't been lit of late? It really takes something away from the skyline...

- Is the G-Tech cube lit every night and does it still rotate colors?

- Does anyone know if someone in city government tracks and coordinates skyline lighting?

- Garris

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to post about this as well. I returned home from a 12-hour drive last night about 7:00. Rounding the Thurbers Ave. curve, the Superman building was dark, as were all the spires and steeples of the near East Side. If it weren't for the "necklace" of One Financial Plaza, and of course Westin II lit up like a Christmas tree, the skyline would barely have been visible at all. A dark skyline can't leave a good impression on out-of-town travellers.

I did notice as I rounded 195 that Gtech was indeed lit, but it didn't seem to be rotating. Looked nice through the canyons of the skyline.

Haha, i'm glad to see that other people have noticed this! Frustrated at the thought of losing a PVD icon, I had actually contacted Bank of America to see why the building is no longer lit up (okay, maybe it was bothering me a bit too much)... I will let you know if their reply if I hear from them at all.

As far as GTECH goes, it seems as though they are rotating between a purple/blue tone and a solid blue. I think I prefer the purple/blue?..

I read an editorial in the ProJo last week that talked about this. The article mentioned that repairs/replacement of the lights and its' infrastructure was going on and that BofA insisted that the lights would go back on once the repairs were complete.

Thanks for the welcome, Matt! and thanks for the info, Mike. Do you think the repairs/replacements will include a color change at all?... I wonder what it would look like with white light as opposed to yellow... Or maybe blue... Maybe I'll photoshop something up and submit it during lunch :)

Exactly. I had a friend in town last night and was really disappointed I really couldn't "show off" the skyline to any degree...

I was looking at it last night, and was wondering if it was rotating between their deep blue and their purple-blue colors, the difference between which is slight, or if it was just my eyes adjusting to different lighting...

- Garris

Thanks for the welcome, Matt! and thanks for the info, Mike. Do you think the repairs/replacements will include a color change at all?... I wonder what it would look like with white light as opposed to yellow... Or maybe blue... Maybe I'll photoshop something up and submit it during lunch :)

I read an editorial in the ProJo last week that talked about this. The article mentioned that repairs/replacement of the lights and its' infrastructure was going on and that BofA insisted that the lights would go back on once the repairs were complete.

speaking of lighting... anyone notice the rising sun mills sign on top of the building? i meant to post about it a few weeks ago when i first noticed it. i think it looks great and adds some depth to the city, at least from the 10/6 view. once ALCO has their sign up and lit, i think that part of the city could look great.

I think all of the lights in the city should have gone out last night after the football game, and that flags should be at half mast today.

The Rising Sun Mills sign has been lit for a long time now. There's a nice view from the other side of 6/10, in the park off Tobey Street/Broadway.

I think all of the lights in the city should have gone out last night after the football game, and that flags should be at half mast today.

The Rising Sun Mills sign has been lit for a long time now. There's a nice view from the other side of 6/10, in the park off Tobey Street/Broadway.

I'm not sure we have a dedicated forum for this topic. If so, someone correct me. If not, it's about time...

Some questions:

- Does anyone know why the Superman building hasn't been lit of late? It really takes something away from the skyline...

- Is the G-Tech cube lit every night and does it still rotate colors?

- Does anyone know if someone in city government tracks and coordinates skyline lighting?

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Bank of America was lit back up again last night after what I guess was their updating of the system.

It's amazing what a huge difference that lighting makes to our skyline at night. Some other building's management (<cough> Textron <cough>) could learn that lesson...

- Garris

Archived