205/215 E. Central

IsaacFL

whats more important, a little 1000 sq ft house or a giant cool looking building that brings in lots of tax money for the city and creates jobs, and keeps the orlando economy going, bringing more places to eat, shop and a nice place for people to stay in our beautiful city when they come to visit for work or to see their families. I believe that this project will make our city better in many ways.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, maybe so... but's also a question of scale. Appropriate scale, that is.

Currently we have this (more or less) tranquil, serene oasis of grass, trees and nature that is abutted by a couple of small, inobtrusive buildings that have been there for ages, and who's appearance blends into the surroundings.

What is being proposed is to replace them with a huge, steel, concrete and glass high rise that would be awesome on any other corner in downtown, but in many if not most people's minds, too intrusive, inappropriate and out of scale for a location adjacent to a park meant to be a calm, relaxing retreat from the sights and sounds of the surrounding cityscape.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I received a notice in the mail that this is going before the board on April 15th. It looks like it now includes the parcel at 1 Rosalind (where Sterling Realty office is now) in addition to 205 and 215 E. Central. That would mean it would be the whole corner now excluding the Rosalind Club parcel.

It is still a mixed hotel/residences.

I like the use of vines growing up the parking garage facing the lake. That will help it blend into the park. I miss the style of the tower on the previous renderings. The shape is now too rectangular, but I am sure that is pure economics since the TT/UC people have made their say about how tall the building can be.

No doubt the intention of this design is meant to complement Dynetech and Lake Eola. I've always been a fan of buildings that integrate large plants, so I'm digging the ivy and potted elements on the roof. My only worry is that it might end up looking a little too much like Dynetech (which I love btw). The two buildings appear to have similar dimensions aside from their drastically different floorplans and it seems like BBArch would use the same type of glass to cover the facades of both buildings. Other than that, I like it a lot.

This building could very well have the best location in Downtown Orlando. Oh, and remove the residential component from this proposal and I'd feel a lot better about it coming to fruition sooner rather than later.

If development on the best parcel in downtown Orlando does not warrant a higher quality cladding than pre-cast stone at the base then it is better to wait it out for more lucrative times or fire the architect (I choose the latter).

I agree, the plant elements are a nice touch.

What other options for the bottom are there? Stone types or otherwise. Not trying to argue. I don't know what options to which you are referring.

I'd like to see some large vertical flags on this building... both sides.

On a personal note, I'd rather run by that every day than the bum piss infected building that currently occupies the land.

For those that haven't gone to the city site...

205215centralwm2.jpg

Archived