205/215 E. Central

IsaacFL

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Good thing that restaurant is running under its own LLC. Hate to jinx that place, but the cafe is the main lure of that spot and unless you can find a menu that goes well with the smell of fish (cormorant droppings), I just don't see that space making it. Sam Sneads used to pack the place before the bird problem. I go by there all the time running and walking, but I can't fathom eating near there. I hadn't been to Sam Sneads in probably a year prior to them shuttering. Just my opinion. Dare I say good luck after my rambling.

I don't have an inside scoop whatsoever, but the smell couldn't help. It is the reason I stopped eating there. Going inside to eat was like sitting in any restaurant. I liked the food, but eating outside with the lake view made that location what it was. The bird thing happened when the city decided to cut down the trees that were in that little island cluster. They thought the birds would leave. What happened was worse since the birds just migrated a hundred yards over land. Good job. What's that saying about hindsight being 20/20?

Good thing that restaurant is running under its own LLC. Hate to jinx that place, but the cafe is the main lure of that spot and unless you can find a menu that goes well with the smell of fish (cormorant droppings), I just don't see that space making it. Sam Sneads used to pack the place before the bird problem. I go by there all the time running and walking, but I can't fathom eating near there. I hadn't been to Sam Sneads in probably a year prior to them shuttering. Just my opinion. Dare I say good luck after my rambling.

I think one of the characteristics of guano is that it is odorless...but anyway, I know last year Capital Plaza grounds crew "secretly" sprayed down the nests at night and the birds moved a tree or two east as well as creating havoc on the balconies of the Waverly. I really never noticed any smell while dining at Sam Sneeds but I agree the view of a black sedan slowly transforming into a white sedan was not all that appetizing.

I don't have an inside scoop whatsoever, but the smell couldn't help. It is the reason I stopped eating there. Going inside to eat was like sitting in any restaurant. I liked the food, but eating outside with the lake view made that location what it was. The bird thing happened when the city decided to cut down the trees that were in that little island cluster. They thought the birds would leave. What happened was worse since the birds just migrated a hundred yards over land. Good job. What's that saying about hindsight being 20/20?

• 2 months later...
I went by on Saturday and it was not going up. I think the term you're looking for is approved. Being a approved and "going up" are not the same thing. Tradition Towers was approved, the Presidential was approved, the Monarch was approved, Verde was approved just to name a few.

I think the issue is that there were so many projects approved and then scrapped, that, now, nothing is considered a s going up unless there's a bulldozer involved--- AND a crane.

as for me, I'm tainted.

I'm from Missouri now.

Awww... Hang in there JRS1! It simply the nature of the real estate cycle. Boom and Bust. Until we can find a more efficient way to deliver office space and residential units to growing cities it will continue to lurch forward. On the bright side, think about how much better Orlando did that say, ummmm.... Detroit, Bismark, New Orleans, even Kansas City and St. Louis. Not until Midwesterners get tired of winter and New Yorker's get tired of taxes will Orlando ever experience negative population growth. So, in the end I'd hedge my bets in the Sunshine State.

Now if only we could do something about smart growth..

Yeah, but let's be honest. Downtown highrise development is what we all really want to see. All those suburban projects are nice & create a certain amount of interest, but we're waiting to see what's next to go up downtown.

Orlando has just had such a long, disappointing history of grand proposals that failed to materialize, it's impossible to believe anything is really going to happen until columns start appearing.

But at least we all have nice collections of cool renderings to look at.

Archived