Vision for the DT skyline

smeagolsfree

An article this morning form the Tennessean about all the new development in DT and the emerging skyline.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS05/701210390

Just wanted to get thoughts on what you guys see in the future, comments on announced projects and speculation on new ones.

I think we will see several more high rise announcements in the next 18 months for the DT area. I dont know who would build them or what they will be but my thoughts are at least 1 new office building with a major HQ, in the 700 foot range and at least one new Hotel in the 600 foot range if the CC is approved. I think maybe another Condo or apartment building in the 4 to 5 hundred foot range. Maybe its wishful thinking but all are on my wish list. The other thing I would love to see is much more infill in the low to mid rise range. I think there will be a lot of this coming in the very near future. I love skyscrapers but also love to see density in the mix. They both have their place. The coming 2 or 4 years will be a very exciting time for Nashville even if you dont want to see more highrises.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was an interesting article and I have to say I would agree with most of your comments about what could be coming next. We knew Tony G. had other places he would be developing, but now we know that he plans on waiting to release any info until Signature is started, but that could be another condo or apartment building in that 4-500 foot range.

In that rendering of what the skyline could look like, I thought it was interesting that they had that rendering of the Crown in there. Had we seen that before, because it looked to be quite a bit different than the original renderings we had seen. This one appeared to have contrasting colors between the glass and the "frame" of the building, but maybe I just don't remember those old renderings. Anyways, I like that a little bit more than I remember liking the first ones.

It is also important to note that the Westin was not pictured, and I think it will happen. And also that rendering of the Sounds Stadium is way off, because the adjacent buildings will have a little bit more of a impact.

Definitely an exciting time, and I would say we can expect a handful of announcements of projects before the end of 2007.

Oh and one note I forgot to add...in the article they said excavation for the Crown not starting until early February 2008, so I guess some of the speculation on when that could start was a little off.

It really bothered me that they just pulled the front page picture off of Tony's website (an old photo at that), and then all they did was paste in a picture of the Crown (much appreciated though). They didn't even take the time to put the new renderings of the Sounds Development, they didn't have a current picture of the finished Viridian, the Schermerhorn was still cartoon-style in the picture, and there was no Westin in there. Little things like that bothered me, but I was glad to see the article in there and that they're keeping the general public (Joe Shmo and his wifey) informed about what's going on DT. I think they should have spent a bit more time on what's going on in the Gulch, Sounds, and RMH, but overall it was a pretty good article confirming most of what we already knew. The updated Crown (if that is what it looks like in reality) looks much better, to me at least. although it's still very slab-sided.

Just to be picky, the scale of The Crown in this picture is off quite a bit. It will be nearly twice as tall as Encore. The Crown looks to be around 300ft+ here. But who cares about height anyway, right Hankster? At least this article is an improvement over Channel 2.

As far as the final design, I'm not worried. I feel good about the architects and their abilities. I just hope we don't have to wait too much longer for a peek.

DN58285121.jpg

I don't think anyone will get a good idea of what downtown will look like if they take a photograph and digitally add in new buildings...the drawn in buildings will always look out of place. As far as a rendering goes, the best way to make a realistic rendering would be to draw all of downtown instead of using a picture. This would take a ton of time and effort, but the buildings would match and would look more like they 'fit in' downtown.

P.S. - I would also like to see a rendering with the new SunTrust building, as well as the Westin (if that hasn't been shot down yet...lol.

I believe that eventually we will see more towers built closer to the river (not on the river, but between 1st and 5th Ave's). I don't think there will be a lot of skyscrapers in the region, but I see the potential for some 10-20 story towers built where some of these open surface lots are. The "SoBro" area between the GEC and the river will look very different in 5 years, I believe.

I just glanced down at this rendering, and I noticed that the Encore and Crown are totally out of scale with each other. Lemme see if I have this correct: Encore is apx. 200'... and Crown is apx. 400'... so Crown should be apx. two times as tall as the Encore. Right?

Sure, the rendering is a ripoff and an incomplete one at that, but it is the Tennessean (after all). Nevertheless, it's mildly helpful in understanding the placement of various buildings. If Westin gets off the ground, then that will fill in just to the right of the Crown in the photo/rendering.

I realize that the article is in reference to DT, but there was no mention of the proposed high rises in the south Gulch (SoGu??? LOL)... or Midtown. If I'm not mistaken, most of those are residential too. It will be interesting to see (for me anyway) how things develop from SoBro west to the Gulch.

As for Tony Giarratana's plans for the future (at Church Street in the Gulch), I think so much will hinge on the success of Signature. This statement falls under the "No Duh!" heading on one hand. Nevertheless, if you consider the other side of my comment (What I really mean to say): That property could be something that Nashville has never seen before with an edgy, futuristic design. But only if TG has "breakthrough" success with Signature. If not, then you'll see the same old, same boxy block development there (and not for a long time in the future).

Also, did you all catch the reference to his financing of Signature being underway with JLL? They wouldn't be wasting time on this project if it wasn't going forward. After so much from the naysayers (a lot from other cities too), I've decided that I really DO want to see him succeed. I agree that it's still really dicey.

I just glanced down at this rendering, and I noticed that the Encore and Crown are totally out of scale with each other. Lemme see if I have this correct: Encore is apx. 200'... and Crown is apx. 400'... so Crown should be apx. two times as tall as the Encore. Right?

That property could be something that Nashville has never seen before with an edgy, futuristic design. But only if TG has "breakthrough" success with Signature. If not, then you'll see the same old, same boxy block development there (and not for a long time in the future).

My vision for the downtown Nashville skyline and the downtown area, say 10 years from now is something like this:

The Westin will be built

The Signature Tower will be built

Tony G. will build two more condo projects, one about 50 stories, the other about 40 stories.

Novarre will build two more condo projects, each from about 25 to 40 stories

Numerous midrise retail / condo projects will be built in SoBro.

North side of downtown will host numerous new mid-rise housing projects

The Crown will be built at more than 28 stories

Another office building at least the size of the Crown will be built

The Sounds project will be built as well as the three other buildings

All phases of the Rolling Mill Hill project will be completed

A new Convention Center will be built

A 40 Story downtown hotel will be built to anchor the convention center

At least one phase of the new waterfront project will be completed

A mega condo / retail / office development similar but smaller than Atlantic Station will have been announced with construction in about 2016

A commuter rail line connecting Murfreesboro to downtown will have been completed

The gulch will be 80% built out, but will be predominately midrise

A large retail project will be built in the Gulch

The Terrazzo will be built

The W Hotel will be built

The WES will NOT be built

However, at least a half dozen new high rise mid-town and Music Row projects will be built

Over 30,000 people will call downtown Nashville their home

Nashville / Davidson population will be 750,000. Metro population will be 2,000,000

Here is an article I spoke to William about this past weekend. These are the top 10 for Nashville for 2007. You may not agree with all of the list but I think he has done a great job at capturing the feel for what is in store for Nashville this year.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=54202

Wow, think of all the infrasturture costs it is going to take for the city to support these projects. The sewer upgrades alone will be staggering. Add to that the cost of upgrading utilites in downtown while business is in progress and the costs just keep going up.

I'd like to see the cost comparisons for city funded service upgrades for the Signature as compared to the same number od residential units constructed in the suburbs. Even if the material and labor costs were equal, the costs to local businesses and the other city services must put the expense way over the cost of developing out of downtown.

At $250,000 to start, it looks like DT Nashville it lining up to be the new urban Brentwood.

Here is an article I spoke to William about this past weekend. These are the top 10 for Nashville for 2007. You may not agree with all of the list but I think he has done a great job at capturing the feel for what is in store for Nashville this year.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=54202

As usual, William has nailed it. Great article! Exciting things are in store for us all during the next year.

As for my prediction of 30,000 people living downtown by 2017, that would include the CBD, SoBro, the Gulch, Hope Gardens, and the Bicential Mall area up to Jefferson. Bold maybe, but this is what I foresee. By then gas could easily be more than $5 per gallon, and there would be a huge influx of people wanting to live closer in and get out of the suburban traffic jams that will become increasingly frequent.

Wow, think of all the infrasturture costs it is going to take for the city to support these projects. The sewer upgrades alone will be staggering. Add to that the cost of upgrading utilites in downtown while business is in progress and the costs just keep going up.

I'd like to see the cost comparisons for city funded service upgrades for the Signature as compared to the same number od residential units constructed in the suburbs. Even if the material and labor costs were equal, the costs to local businesses and the other city services must put the expense way over the cost of developing out of downtown.

At $250,000 to start, it looks like DT Nashville it lining up to be the new urban Brentwood.

Loved the list WW, and I had entirely forgotten about the African American Museum of Music, Art and Culture. I think that will be a very neat museum, and looking at the website of the architect, his stuff looks awesome! Do we know when construction will begin and when they think it'll start.

PS Thanks for the info on Velocity in the Gulch, it had become really quiet about that project, and it's good to know the specifics on it.

Archived