Toyota Plant - Marion or Chattanooga?

tnse

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see your points, and they are certainly well taken. But you have to take what is said in those parts of a newspaper with a grain of salt. Which it sounds as though you did. But like I said, Nashville, and the entire state of Tennessee for that matter, wouldn't NOT roll out the welcome mat to another car maker just because of Nissan. There is just too much tax money to be made off of one of these types of business'.

Latest from the CA

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5338725,00.html

Gov. Bredesen denies reports that had his office leaning on Memphis/Shelby County to not openly support Marion in Toyota's site selection. The article states that he sees the great benefit to Memphis, West Tennessee, and ultimately the state as a whole if the plant were to go to Marion. Of course, his first allegiance is to the Chattanooga site.

In the link provided by Flith above, the interesting point is brought out how Tennessee stands to receive many of the benefits of an auto plant without having to give huge incentive packages if Marion is chosen. That may not be preferable for the state as whole to landing it in-state, but it sure is not a bad trade-off. Tennessee is in a win-win situation with these 2 sites, but for Memphis, Marion would be the clear choice.

I think the state could pressure the local community without having to request it. Politics is a delicate, complicated mess. Who knows what kinds of convoluted conversations occurred.

for instance, this comment: " 'Neither Governor Bredesen nor Commissioner (Matt) Kisber has asked economic development officials from the Memphis area to take a position in regards to any specific development site as it relates to any specific project,' he said." This doesn't mean that the state is denying that they asked Memphis not to support Marion. They may have told Memphis, it would be best for you to take no position on the matter. Which is different from asking Memphis to support Chattanooga.

If that makes sense. It would be different if the quote was "no one asked Memphis to not support Marion." But these are politicians and their reps. Each word means something. I don't know if the state is actually denying the point that the CA was making, they may be trying to cover up the bad pr, or they may be trying to clarify it with legalese, acknowledging their role while sounding supportive when they obviously weren't going to tell Memphis go hog wild and campaign against Chattanooga.

i live about 5 miles from a megasite called wellspring about 80 miles from memphis on hwy 78 in between tupelo and new albany. a lot of people in this area are bringing up toyota's name again.local government officals are very secretive though.a few years toyota showed interest in the site but stated there was a uneducated workforce in north ms.i was told at the present time ms is offering the biggest tax incentive program in history to draw industry into the state. i thought maybe that is the rumors have resurfaced because of this.the plant would help the area for sure due the furniture industry slowing down and moving to china and mexico.from week to week lately the industry looking at the site changes i have also heard catapillar and rolls royce industrial division have been looking at the site.either way i wish toyota would hurry up and make a decision.

Maybe if everyone who replied to this post would write a letter to the editor of the CA asking why the Mayor of Memphis is not supported Marion's bid we could put some pressure on him. All of Memphis's elected officials (Mayor, City Council) should be looking out for the economic interests of Memphis. Steve Cohen only came forward after it was revealed that the Democratic Governor of Tennessee was trying to strong-arm this plant away from the Mid South. So write your elected officials (or email) and write letters to the editor - time is short.

JavaTek

Maybe if everyone who replied to this post would write a letter to the editor of the CA asking why the Mayor of Memphis is not supported Marion's bid we could put some pressure on him. All of Memphis's elected officials (Mayor, City Council) should be looking out for the economic interests of Memphis. Steve Cohen only came forward after it was revealed that the Democratic Governor of Tennessee was trying to strong-arm this plant away from the Mid South. So write your elected officials (or email) and write letters to the editor - time is short.

JavaTek

Memphis and Shelby County can't issue "Tax Incentives", because they are not the taxing authority for Marion Arkansas. Don't say they can't give incentives because they can. Memphis could offer to fund worker training especially if that training was held at a Memphis educational intuition and earmarked for workers hired out of Memphis. Let's face it, most of the skilled workers in this area are in Shelby County and Toyota would need to hire over two thousand. That's just one example of how we could help.

I once worked for a Japanese company that relocated from Japan to Memphis and from that experience I'm pretty sure that there will be between one and two hundred Japanese workers brought here to start up the plant. They could stay for up to three years. These workers would need temporary housing like the apartments and condos you find in downtown Memphis. The top managers would need housing.

Also, Toyota would need temporary business office space while the plant is under construction. Plenty of office space in downtown Memphis.

This is the type of help that Memphis could and should be offering. What is being offered

Memphis and Shelby County can't issue "Tax Incentives", because they are not the taxing authority for Marion Arkansas. Don't say they can't give incentives because they can. Memphis could offer to fund worker training especially if that training was held at a Memphis educational intuition and earmarked for workers hired out of Memphis. Let's face it, most of the skilled workers in this area are in Shelby County and Toyota would need to hire over two thousand. That's just one example of how we could help.

I once worked for a Japanese company that relocated from Japan to Memphis and from that experience I'm pretty sure that there will be between one and two hundred Japanese workers brought here to start up the plant. They could stay for up to three years. These workers would need temporary housing like the apartments and condos you find in downtown Memphis. The top managers would need housing.

Also, Toyota would need temporary business office space while the plant is under construction. Plenty of office space in downtown Memphis.

This is the type of help that Memphis could and should be offering. What is being offered – NADA? In addition, Memphis stands to gain some of the 5000 plus spin-off jobs that would be created and benefit directly from all of the economic development that would follow. Downtown Memphis would boom from the influx of money, development and people. Need I say More!

Where are the elected leaders of this city?

This is the type of help that Memphis could and should be offering. What is being offered

What benefits? What assistance? You, me, or anyone else has not seen any help Memphis gave to try and lure the Tundra plant. If you know of any assistance please tell us. The mayor of Marion was recently quoted as saying that he has never had a conversation with Willie Herenton.

What benefits? What assistance? You, me, or anyone else has not seen any help Memphis gave to try and lure the Tundra plant. If you know of any assistance please tell us. The mayor of Marion was recently quoted as saying that he has never had a conversation with Willie Herenton.

That is the site I would have picked if I were Toyota. Tupelo is known for its quality manufacturing force with a strong work ethic, and the furniture industry there has taken a hit lately with jobs going to Asia. This is great for Tupelo and good for the Mid-South. It's better than it being in Chattanooga, which would have little effect on Memphis other that some increased state revenue. Now maybe Mississippi can afford to pay their Med bills to Shelby County.

Archived