Toyota Plant - Marion or Chattanooga?

tnse

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I definitely would've rather them choose Marion, a plant in Tupelo will still definitely benefit Memphis metro. Suppliers for assembly lines are ranked based on their distance from the plant - 30, 60, and 90 minutes away. Memphis will definitely fall in the 60 minutes away category, and parts of DeSoto and all of Marshall will be in the 30 minutes away category. This means that we can expect at least 1,000 to 1,500 additional supplier jobs to locate in the MSA.

This also means that we can expect further growth between Memphis and Tupelo, perhaps resulting in a Memphis-Tupelo CSA?

The Memphis International Airport will definitely be a main catalyst for this plant, as well as our logistics infrastructure. Memphis will definitely DEFINITELY benefit from this Tupelo location, just not as much as Marion.

I still predict that Marion will end up with something quite large in the near future - perhaps something even better than the plant Tupelo got. In that case, we could end up with the best of both worlds...

No, NorBizz, you're WRONG! Those cargo jets are going to BNA because Lexy says they will :offtopic:

Poor attempts at levity aside, it's good for the region for Tupelo to get the plant, and they have a pretty good industrial base to begin with. Marion does have a killer site (great loc., rail+interstate, good incentives) and they're going to get something big before long. Marion will get rewarded eventually...I hope they keep plugging and chugging toward the big prize and don't lose faith now.

Was it Memphis' lack of suport that doomed Marion's bid? The article seems to imply that AL's support for Tupelo helped them win the plant. If true, what a great failure on Memphis' part. True Tupelo is near and that helps (better than Chattanooga), but Marion is so near downtown Memphis. Thoughts?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5382881,00.html

Was it Memphis' lack of suport that doomed Marion's bid? The article seems to imply that AL's support for Tupelo helped them win the plant. If true, what a great failure on Memphis' part. True Tupelo is near and that helps (better than Chattanooga), but Marion is so near downtown Memphis. Thoughts?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5382881,00.html

I think the states of Tennessee and Arkansas did everything they it could to ensure that either site originally deemed the finalists would be competative. Of course Tennessee favored the instate site, because, well they are the State of Tennessee, just like Arkansas would have favored a site in NWARK had their site been there and ours in Shelby County.

TN, AL, and GA worked very closely on the Chattanooga site, so I would be interested to know if AL throwing its weight behind MS was the deal breaker for Chattanooga, ie AL withdrew support from Chattanooga and gave it to MS in exchange for MS support on a steel mill they were competing for with Louisiana. As to the factors around Marion, I'm not as certian as to why it might have been knocked out, air quality seems plausible enough though.

Archived