Examples of traffic calming on NCDOT roads in urban neighborhoods?

Bull City Rising

Hi all,

I'm wondering if some of the CLT, AVL, Triad, Wilmington, etc. residents on this board might be able to help me with a bit of research. I'm looking for any examples in your city where a residential, urban neighborhood has been successful in getting traffic calming (neckdowns, pedestrian cross lights, reduced speed limits, tables/rumble strips, etc.) implemented on NCDOT-maintained roads. The latter part (NCDOT-maintained road), as opposed to city/county-paved and maintained thoroughfares, is the key part I'm looking for.

I'm looking for precedents that may be of help in an effort I'm involved with in my own city. PM or forum replies would be awesome and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BCR: Looks like no one could come up with anything. :dontknow: Did you ask ChiefJoJo? I think I read somewhere that he works for DOT.

Every example I can think of is on a city street. However, what the city of Raleigh is planning to do to Hillsborough Street may be somewhat related, seeing as it's still technically a state road. (See that thread in the Triangle forum for more info.)

BCR: Looks like no one could come up with anything. :dontknow: Did you ask ChiefJoJo? I think I read somewhere that he works for DOT.

Every example I can think of is on a city street. However, what the city of Raleigh is planning to do to Hillsborough Street may be somewhat related, seeing as it's still technically a state road. (See that thread in the Triangle forum for more info.)

However, all this became moot since NCDOT in the Feb. board of transportation meeting agreed to allow and partially fund limited calming on Duke/Gregson, in the form of concrete neckdowns and improved paint markings. Apparently a speed limit drop (35->30 mph) is under discussion as well.

Archived