Pfizer to close R&D Operations in A2 and Kazoo!

tracer1138

Pfizer has announced plans to shed 10,000 jobs around the world.

The company says thousands of jobs will be lost as it closes its research and development facilities in Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo.

But the company says it will continue to maintain manufacturing and animal-health operations in the Kalamazoo area.

Really I only see 2 postives here

1. Pfizer has faith in its manufacutring and animal-health operations (although if Michigan keeps it's anti-pharmaceutical policies there's no telling how long that will last).

2. They may finally tear down those overly massive downtown buildings (a little wastefull after they spent all of that money retofiting the ugly white ones and tearing down the awesome brick one by Albert Khan.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read in the Detroit Free Press that Mayor Hannah McKinney said Kazoo dodged a bullet as compared to Ann Arbor that lost the near 2,000 jobs. She said despite this loss, Kazoo County will still be home to 4,100 Pfizer jobs, and still be the county's largest employer, so it looks like you guys made out relatively well all things considered.

Ann Arbor definitely has the workforce that could replace these jobs with other high-paying jobs, but 2,000 jobs to lose in quite a blow.

Just read in the Detroit Free Press that Mayor Hannah McKinney said Kazoo dodged a bullet as compared to Ann Arbor that lost the near 2,000 jobs. She said despite this loss, Kazoo County will still be home to 4,100 Pfizer jobs, and still be the county's largest employer, so it looks like you guys made out relatively well all things considered.

Ann Arbor definitely has the workforce that could replace these jobs with other high-paying jobs, but 2,000 jobs to lose in quite a blow.

It's not about resting easy that I'm getting at. It's about trying to take nuggets of temporary good news from a from a large-scale downsizing. I'm hardly trying to paint a rosey picture, and it's unfortunate if I came across that way. BTW, what does this mean for the downtown campus Pfizer was supposed to build? (I think it was Pfizer, anyway)

It's not about resting easy that I'm getting at. It's about trying to take nuggets of temporary good news from a from a large-scale downsizing. I'm hardly trying to paint a rosey picture, and it's unfortunate if I came across that way. BTW, what does this mean for the downtown campus Pfizer was supposed to build? (I think it was Pfizer, anyway)

Pfizer has announced plans to shed 10,000 jobs around the world.

The company says thousands of jobs will be lost as it closes its research and development facilities in Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo.

But the company says it will continue to maintain manufacturing and animal-health operations in the Kalamazoo area.

Really I only see 2 postives here

1. Pfizer has faith in its manufacutring and animal-health operations (although if Michigan keeps it's anti-pharmaceutical policies there's no telling how long that will last).

2. They may finally tear down those overly massive downtown buildings (a little wastefull after they spent all of that money retofiting the ugly white ones and tearing down the awesome brick one by Albert Khan.

• 4 months later...

Archived