[Lexington] Transportation news

seicer

I am actually a little surprised that Lextran isn't a little more comprehensive as a transit system. I expected to see a better bus system for a city the size of Lexington. I guess the important thing is to try and make it more attractive for regular people to take the bus.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am actually a little surprised that Lextran isn't a little more comprehensive as a transit system. I expected to see a better bus system for a city the size of Lexington. I guess the important thing is to try and make it more attractive for regular people to take the bus.

Wow, it sounds like it has changed a lot over the last few years. Light rail would be awesome. The south corridor of Charlotte's light rail should open soon and I know people are excited about it there. It looks like Lexington is doing a lot of things right and it's getting support from a lot of forward-thinking citizens.

I actually wrote a very long paper to the mayor, vice mayor, and my councilwoman about sharing the Norfolk Southern lines with freight and commuter trains. The line runs from the Toyota Plant throught downtown Georgetown (one block from Georgetown College) south through Lexington and on to Nicholasville. The mayor was the only one to respond but he seemed interested. Of course he probably always seems interested when responding to suggestions.

^ IIRC, I have seen some basic draft documents on a heavy-rail commuter line from Nicholasville to Lexington. It wouldn't be hard to implement: a station in Nicholasville could serve the suburbs of the city and the city itself. Another at Brannon Crossing could serve that burgeoning development. One more could be located near the Fayette Mall, and the last would be in downtown.

^^ I haven't heard on anything regarding LexTran expanding to Georgetown as it is well served by an interstate and other four-lane highways (sans US 25, which is slated for widening). I wouldn't mind seeing heavy-rail come up there.

^ IIRC, I have seen some basic draft documents on a heavy-rail commuter line from Nicholasville to Lexington. It wouldn't be hard to implement: a station in Nicholasville could serve the suburbs of the city and the city itself. Another at Brannon Crossing could serve that burgeoning development. One more could be located near the Fayette Mall, and the last would be in downtown.

^^ I haven't heard on anything regarding LexTran expanding to Georgetown as it is well served by an interstate and other four-lane highways (sans US 25, which is slated for widening). I wouldn't mind seeing heavy-rail come up there.

I actually wrote a very long paper to the mayor, vice mayor, and my councilwoman about sharing the Norfolk Southern lines with freight and commuter trains. The line runs from the Toyota Plant through downtown Georgetown (one block from Georgetown College) south through Lexington and on to Nicholasville. The mayor was the only one to respond but he seemed interested. Of course he probably always seems interested when responding to suggestions.

As for the line on Norfolk/Southern when I wrote the mayor I mentioned that the tracks intersect with 11 major roads in Fayette County, they are (from north to south) Mercer, Leestown, Manchester, High, Broadway, Virginia, Waller, Souhtland, Pasadena, Reynolds, and Man O War. Obviously New Circle is left out sinceits a highway at that point.

In my opinion. Mercer, Broadway, Virginia, and Reynolds could currently support stations, especially Virginia and Broadway as infill/redevelopment continues to heat up in that area.

Of the rail crossings mentioned only Waller Ave. and Rosemont(you left this one out) are at grade. The others are either over(Manchester,Broadway, Southland, Pasadena and Reynolds) or under(Mercer, Leestown, W High, Virginia and Man o' War) the intersecting roadway. Whereas both New Circle and Mercer bridge the rails in close proximity and there is a large grade seperation, how would you propose a station/stop there?

Broadway, on the other hand, would be well suited for a station, but on the opposite side from the former station location. You know with frontage on Angliana Ave.

The narrow road cut for Virginia Ave. would make that location more dangerous then the Newtown Crossings pedestrian bridge situation.

Southland, Pasadena and Reynolds have no land left to develop without removing large parts of the existing urban fabric.

The existing at grade crossings at Spurr Road(in the north) and Waveland Museum Ln and Brannon Rd(in the south) still have room to place stations in rapidly growing areas.

All of this is still dependant on the City of Cincinnati, who controlls what happen on the C,NO & TP tracksand property. (Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific) When Doug Arnett tried to renovate the old station building everyting had to go through them. That process took over two years just to prepare for Lexington to consider the project. In that time, all the original investors began to back out.

The wheels of government grind exceedingly slowly. I won't hold my breath.

• 2 weeks later...

Liberty Road revamp begins: Traffic unaffected for six months

By Jennifer Hewlett, Herald-Leader [Lexington], July 26, 2007

Map of the reconstruction (in red)

Work began on July 26 for phase one if the Liberty Road reconstruction. The first phase involves widening 1.27-miles of a two-lane, narrow highway to four-lanes between Graftons Mill Lane and MAn o' War Boulevard, which also includes the straightening out the right-angle turns at Liberty and Todds roads. The project will allevate congestion at the intersection of Liberty and Todds, and Todds and Man o' War.

The design includes four-lanes with a raised median from Graftons Mill Lane and end at the abandoned Chesapeake and Ohio rail line, where it will become four-lanes with a center-turn lane to Man o' War Boulevard. It will include a four-foot wide bike lane on each side.

The cost of the project was $6.4 million in federal dollars, but has increased to $7.4 million due to higher fuel and construction material costs. It is expected to be completed by August 1, 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived