Forest Hill Plaza

memphismike

I was doing some research on Elkington's proposed development and came across the following:

http://www.sierraadvisors.com/National.aspx

Cut and paste into your browser and click on the "Memphis" link. You can download the brochure and see a rendering of the project. It's being developed by Landmark Properties in Chicago and leased by this group, Sierra Advisors.

It looks like it will be a great fit for that area, especially with ServiceMaster moving out there and with FedEx right across the street.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the east side of forest hill and winchester is germantown and the west side is memphis. The west side houses southwind and wyndike country club and I know those are in memphis. It seems like this development is going to be built on the southwest corner.

I'm sorry, but it just looks like the same old same old -- buildings in the middle of a sea of asphalt. I like the taller building, but other than that, I don't see this as a promising indicator of "smart planning" that they're supposed to be pursuing for east Memphis.

I think the east side of forest hill and winchester is germantown and the west side is memphis. The west side houses southwind and wyndike country club and I know those are in memphis. It seems like this development is going to be built on the southwest corner.

^

This is a typical open air retail center that you would find in a suburban area. There is not enough density to warrant a conjested mall with parking garages because the costs are too high.

Nashville has an area known as greenhills. The oak court mall area would be the closest thing that we have to it. They have been building 3 to 4 story buildings in a very dense arrangement. Supposedly, and I am not going to say there is anything to back this up because it seems like a rumor, they are going to be putting a nordstrums here among other stores and office buildings.

With all the development around oak court and lauralwood, it would seem that would be the only place in memphis that could support a very dense/urban upscale retail center. If there is another area that could support this and justify the cost to build than I would like to hear it. Also, I am interested in hearing other ideas of how to make this less of a sea of asphalt.

Lets not forget that upscale centers like this one can spur office growth in the area. So if there is a well thought out plan for the future this could be a very nice looking area, with an urban feel.

Archived