Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueradon

Meijer or Meijers?

37 posts in this topic

You know I just had to start this thread because I find this quite comical in a sense, and annoying.

Have you ever caught yourself saying "Oh I went shopping at Meijers today." "Oh yeah, I got those on sale at Meijers."

It wasn't until one of my good friends worked there for a few months that she has formed a pet peeve with people that say Meijers, because it is correctly called "Meijer" (unless you are using the name as a plural). She (my friend) used to work at the Customer Service desk and she said she cannot believe how many people come up when they are writing checks they'll ask her "so I write it out to Meijers?" and my friend will say, "Actually no, you would write it out to Meijer." She said one person even wrote Meijerz on the check. :lol:

Anyone have or have had this same experience?

It's Meijer's, but it's Meijer on the books.

It's like saying "I'm going to Fred's," or "I'm going to Fred." I get chastised by my girl for saying Meijer's.

We have a way of doing that here in Michigan with stores who's names are names of people (i.e. Kroger(s), Meijer(s),....)

It used to drive me up the wall to hear people say, "I'm goin' a Kmarts...."

Meijer was a customer of mine for a while some time ago and I would regularly be chastised for saying "Meijer's". I'm not sure if they're still uptight about it today, but I still mentally cringe every time I hear someone say Meijer's.

I also cringe when I hear people say Barnes and Nobles.

We have talked about this in the past. Didn't Rizzo prove from historical photos that some of the stores were once labeled Meijer's? I thought we came to the conclusion that either was acceptable.

haha, yeah, we've talked about it before. And there were pictures of Meijer's, but I don't remember coming to any conclusions. It WAS called Meijer's. Now it's called Meijer. Get with the times people...

Among my circle, the colloquialism is "going to see Fred" or "going to Fred's." Sometimes it's "Uncle Fred."

[no relation]

We have talked about this in the past. Didn't Rizzo prove from historical photos that some of the stores were once labeled Meijer's? I thought we came to the conclusion that either was acceptable.

"Meijers Thrift Supermarket" was the name of the family's first store in Greenville.

I don't remember pulling that out of my hat. Maybe Tamias?

I admit to calling it Meijer's. I've never added S to anything else though: always Barnes & Noble, Kmart, etc. But Meijer is Meijer's.

But then one may assume your actually going to Fred Meyer, or something like that.

Bazillionaire owner? How much is that exactly?

What do they (Fred Meyer) sell? Groceries-cat food-motor oil-garden-HBA-fake fireplaces?

It's a Michigan thing to add that "S" and it's not just Meijer to which we add it.

I cannot tell you how many times (growing up in Detroit especially) I would hear people say something like "I drive truck for Fords"

..see, "driving truck" (instead of "driving a truck" or "driving trucks") seems to be the same thing...just the opposite.

At work they have problems with how I pronounce things... that site has it to a "t."

I'm from Grrarapids

Wait, where?