Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theophrastus Bombastus

"Hartford 2010"

38 posts in this topic

It's a pretty powerpoint presentation of a fairly straight forward situation analysis. I keep waiting to see an original idea from this guy. I'm still waiting.

I am glad that Hartford (and Greenburg) is finally coming around to understanding the importance of these tridents. It seems that the idea is coming into the mainstream now.

$250,000! What a waste.

The city spent another $250K in 1998, and learned they should widen the sidewalks downtown, build housing around Bushnell Park, fill in the parking lots, improve public transportation and get rid of all the one way streets downtown.

What has been done?

It's nice to get these recommendations, but if you don't have leadership to implement the programs than what's the point?

$250,000! What a waste.

The city spent another $250K in 1998, and learned they should widen the sidewalks downtown, build housing around Bushnell Park, fill in the parking lots, improve public transportation and get rid of all the one way streets downtown.

What has been done?

It's nice to get these recommendations, but if you don't have leadership to implement the programs than what's the point?

$250,000! What a waste.

What has been done?

I could charge them a one time $250k fee and give them just as good advice...

Did had more Brownstone before, But if Hartford did? Can they rebuild and build more browstones home because i don't like those boring brand new house that they be building it makes feel like >>>> :blink::rolleyes::unsure:

The assessments of strengths and weakness is very weak. No real insights. No digging below the surface. In fact, no ratings or priorities. All pretty pictures, no steak.

Did had more Brownstone before, But if Hartford did? Can they rebuild and build more browstones home because i don't like those boring brand new house that they be building it makes feel like >>>> :blink::rolleyes::unsure:

They've done a nice job w/ the perfect-6 inspired row of houses on Zion Street just south of Park--part of the Mutual Housing program, I believe. If the city managed to wrestle the parking lots by the Bushnell out of state hands, I think a similar effort would be worthwhile. The new homes wouldn't have to precisely match the existing brownstones on Capitol, as long as they were of a similar character and style. There's enough space there, too, do private courtyards behind the homes. I understand that the city treasurer had worked w/ the Rowland administration to try to get that property, but nothing has happened since he resigned.

The irony, to me, is that Horton-Sheff, when first elected to city council, said she wanted to kick Rowland out of Hartford. But Rowland actually did a lot for Hartford. Let's not forget that unlike Jodi, he actually took up residence in the Governor's Mansion. Whatever you think of his desire for the good life, I think that included living it up in grand style, in a grand city.

anyone have any pictures of these brownstones that we could replicate on the bushnell lots

I skimmed through the video of one of the recent meetings. It looks like the emphasis is less on building things and more on restoring the urban fabric. I really think it should be called Hartford 2015 or 2020. He hinted at I-84 reconfiguration.

He stressed that he wants to hear from us.

post here

The answers are Yes and Yes. There used to be alot more brownstones in Hartford and yest they could bring them back in many places in and around Downtown. Browstones are not cheap to build though and would surely be very expensive and marketed as luxury. So the market needs to show some demand before we see any of this happen.

AND NO, THIS IS NOT HARLEM, BROOKLYN, BRONX, BOSTON OR PHILLY ECT; THIS IS HARTFORD AND I KNOW THAT NOT ALL OF THEM ARE NOT BROWNSTONE JUST SOME ROWHOUSES LOL :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: