Rogers may become a "design center" for the region?

KJW

I stopped by the site and took a couple of photos to share. That is an interesting location for the type building it is. It's more of an industrial area- I would expect to see that building in the southwest part of town along I540.

DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that it is a rendering, but renderings DO accurately depitct scale and proportions, both of which seem out of whack on this building. If the rendering IS any indication of the materials to be used (as in those ubiquitous giant 4 paned windows which seem to stuck wherever deemed necessary on so many building in nwa) then I can safely say that it will look cheap and boring, much like the new procter and gamble building on joyce in fayetteville.

The new Benchmark building/HQ on 2nd will also have an on-site health club staffed by a personal trainer/manager and a "healthy choices" restaurant.

P.S. Does anyone know when the new Harps supermarket on 2nd St now under construction in downtown Rogers is supposed to be open? The building looks great.

I realize that it is a rendering, but renderings DO accurately depitct scale and proportions, both of which seem out of whack on this building. If the rendering IS any indication of the materials to be used (as in those ubiquitous giant 4 paned windows which seem to stuck wherever deemed necessary on so many building in nwa) then I can safely say that it will look cheap and boring, much like the new procter and gamble building on joyce in fayetteville.

At the danger of making a shameless plug for Abetica, I thought I would extend an invitation to UrbanPlanet to attend the Twilight Art Walk & Sale this Friday July 20 in Historic Downtown Rogers.

If you have been reading all the comments in this blog, but have never been to the area (or haven't been to downtown Rogers for a while), it might give you a chance to see for yourself the "budding" art/design scene, as well as some of the new developments/construction in the general area (e.g., Benchmark, Harps, Daisy, etc.).

The Friday evening "art walk begins at 4:00 pm until 8:00 pm. At last count, 26 businesses, galleries, museums, shops, etc. are keeping the doors open.

Check out our latest Abetica Gallery exhibition called

Thanks for that info dstiel. Unfortunately, most (90%) of the forum members here detest Rogers and would only support something like this if it's in Fayetteville. But, some of us who live in Bentonville/Rogers may be interested enough to show up. I work Friday nights so I won't be there, though.

Thanks for that info dstiel. Unfortunately, most (90%) of the forum members here detest Rogers and would only support something like this if it's in Fayetteville. But, some of us who live in Bentonville/Rogers may be interested enough to show up. I work Friday nights so I won't be there, though.

Exactly the responses I expected. I don't know where you guys got the impression that I dislike Fayetteville since I have personally supported quite a few Fayetteville events, attractions, and developments on several occasions. Many I supported even when Fayetteville forumers were knocking them. The problem is that while it's considered okay for people from Fayetteville to criticize any city in NWA when someone from Rogers criticizes Fayetteville in any way y'all go bananas.

I'll bet it would be impossible for you people to find more than a couple negative comments I've made about some ugly old buildings in Fayetteville or the fact that I'm not a Razorbacks fan. Pretty much all my other negative comments about Fayetteville were in response to the negative crap targeted at Rogers and Bentonville from our Fayetteville forumers.

Y'all really need to start lookign at how negative your own posts can be toward other cities in NWA (even your own) before condemning others for them.

Exactly the responses I expected. I don't know where you guys got the impression that I dislike Fayetteville since I have personally supported quite a few Fayetteville events, attractions, and developments on several occasions. Many I supported even when Fayetteville forumers were knocking them. The problem is that while it's considered okay for people from Fayetteville to criticize any city in NWA when someone from Rogers criticizes Fayetteville in any way y'all go bananas.

I'll bet it would be impossible for you people to find more than a couple negative comments I've made about some ugly old buildings in Fayetteville or the fact that I'm not a Razorbacks fan. Pretty much all my other negative comments about Fayetteville were in response to the negative crap targeted at Rogers and Bentonville from our Fayetteville forumers.

Y'all really need to start lookign at how negative your own posts can be toward other cities in NWA (even your own) before condemning others for them.

As I said before, I think everyone tends to think their section of NWA is the best. So I can imagine that it's not too hard to see other people's comments to be negative as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have a tendency to be negative and I think that it's ruffled some people's feathers so I think some people are more likely to react to your comments. I not trying to be mean here. But it's not too hard for me to see why people react the way they do.

I'm a realist, whereas it seems many here seem to be more hopeful than realist. I guess the only difference between my negative comments is that they tend to hit closer to home than other people's, hence the ruffled feathers. If my negative comments are not acceptible then neither are everyone else's.

It's about time too! Now several people have made "negative" comments about the new Leeds certified Benchmark HQ being built, which is pretty surprizing coming from people seemingly in support of sustainability. The Benchmark HQ isn't full of fancy condos so of course it's going to look more like an office building than let's say, The Lofts at Underwood Plaza as an example.

I think it's a nice office building that serves functionality over aestheticism and the fact that it's Leeds certified makes Rogers even more prominent as the "design center" of the region.

A quick update and a big Thanks to everyone who made it to the "Twilight Art Walk & Sale" in historic downtown Rogers last night. Our gallery was busy all evening - we ended up staying open an extra 1-1/2 hours to visit with everyone. I may be a little biased, but between the street musicians, artists, food & drink, the art, and the many art patrons and just-curious, we had a blast and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

A few folks (architects, designers, etc.) stopped by our place and said they were avid bloggers on UrbanPlanet. People came from all over NWA. A few "bloggers" from OK and MO also stopped by, too.

Anyone who had a chance to check it out and has any suggestions on how to improve the event, we welcome the feedback!

The next art walk in historic downtown Rogers is scheduled for the third Friday in August - 8/17 - from 4 pm to 8 pm, just in case you missed it, or want to see what's new. Thanks again!

dstiel, I wanted to visit last night too but got caught up in work til 11:00 pm.

It's about time too! Now several people have made "negative" comments about the new Leeds certified Benchmark HQ being built, which is pretty surprizing coming from people seemingly in support of sustainability. The Benchmark HQ isn't full of fancy condos so of course it's going to look more like an office building than let's say, The Lofts at Underwood Plaza as an example.

I think it's a nice office building that serves functionality over aestheticism and the fact that it's Leeds certified makes Rogers even more prominent as the "design center" of the region.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the web site for Benchmark last night.

- They say they have the largest electrical / mechanical engineering consulting staff in Arkansas. Now, in this digital age I suppose these engineers could live in D/FW, Beijing, Sao Paulo or London. But that's still another apparent honor for an NWA firm.

- It appears that Wal-Mart is NOT all the work they do.

To quote Arte Johnson: it will be veeerrrry interesting to see what kind of design center Rogers becomes...this place is getting quite the mix of professionals.

BTW, speaking of designers, does anyone yet know what creative firm has placed these billboards over NWA with oranges on them (with tag lines like "Hint: rhymes with 'schmeative'."), and are they a local firm? I'm not sure if they're "The source" or "Get juiced" or whatever the firm's name is...I've got mixed emotions on the effectiveness of that billboard campaign.

BTW, speaking of designers, does anyone yet know what creative firm has placed these billboards over NWA with oranges on them (with tag lines like "Hint: rhymes with 'schmeative'."), and are they a local firm? I'm not sure if they're "The source" or "Get juiced" or whatever the firm's name is...I've got mixed emotions on the effectiveness of that billboard campaign.

Sorry, Mith.

They were these billboards in the Centerton / XNA area with oranges on them which said "Coming July 31" and appeared to be advertising a creative presence of some sort. I figured it was a new package design company like New Creature.

header.gif

Mith, sometimes things just fall right in one's lap. It's amazing.

After picking up something at the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market just east of I-540 in Bentonville I was driving off the parking lot and getting ready to cross at the stoplight when I look to my right and see a sign for Go Juiced Creative - saw a billboard for it on my way home, too. This is the company I was wondering about.

It's part of Stribling Packaging, and our Urban Planet buddy Andrew Jensen just did a story on them. They're right next to the Roark Group, which does custom printing.

And where are they located? You guessed it...just east of the northwest city limits of Rogers.

(Laughs and shakes his head.)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another shamless plug for a major event taking place this Friday, August 17 in historic downtown Rogers from 4 pm to 8 pm. You're invited to check out the art, British cars, music including jazz, food, and entertainment! Consider it an excuse to see what development opportunities are happening in the downtown neighborhood. Here's a partial list of what is going on at the 3rd Friday Night Twilight Art Walk & Sale:

Archived