Rogers may become a "design center" for the region?

KJW

Here's another shamless plug for a major event taking place this Friday, August 17 in historic downtown Rogers from 4 pm to 8 pm. You're invited to check out the art, British cars, music including jazz, food, and entertainment! Consider it an excuse to see what development opportunities are happening in the downtown neighborhood.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's another shamless plug for a major event taking place this Friday, August 17 in historic downtown Rogers from 4 pm to 8 pm. You're invited to check out the art, British cars, music including jazz, food, and entertainment! Consider it an excuse to see what development opportunities are happening in the downtown neighborhood. Here's a partial list of what is going on at the 3rd Friday Night Twilight Art Walk & Sale:

• 3 weeks later...

This news is wonderful for a variety of reasons, not the least of which that it's another part of Rogers becoming a "design center":

Waldon, a graduate of Rogers High School, has worked in art galleries in Kansas City, Florida and California and has brought all her contacts to a new gallery in downtown Rogers.

Most of the art on the walls of the brand-new Zian Fine Art Gallery is not local, she said. She represents the same artists whose work she sold in California, but she

Way to go, Mr. Stiel...I'm glad to see you doing this at the Pinnacle Hills Promenade.

If it's not too off limits for me to ask, what kind of response are you seeing from the design community and Rogers / Northwest Arkansas in general for Abetica? You probably know the gallery owner referenced a response or two above this...are you still seeing designers of all stripes moving to Rogers (I'm amazed at all the responses and links to different facets within this community that this thread contains)?

Way to go, Mr. Stiel...I'm glad to see you doing this at the Pinnacle Hills Promenade.

If it's not too off limits for me to ask, what kind of response are you seeing from the design community and Rogers / Northwest Arkansas in general for Abetica? You probably know the gallery owner referenced a response or two above this...are you still seeing designers of all stripes moving to Rogers (I'm amazed at all the responses and links to different facets within this community that this thread contains)?

Yeah it wouldn't be bad to have a big arts festival in the area. Aside from War Eagle of course. Although this is a bit different. It's hard to judge what will become a huge event like BBB. I doubt anyone thought it would become such a huge event in just a short amount of time. At the same time I've been a little surprised other festivals haven't taken off. Guess you never know. But yeah a tie in to Crystal Bridges could really help it out in 2009.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Thanks for the kind words about Abetica closing our downtown Rogers location. Many clients loved our store, but unfortunately, as you may have read, a number of furniture stores have closed and/or consolidated over the past few weeks in NWA. Because our holding company owns several other retail locations that are better established and far more profitable, we made the difficult decision and closed the downtown Rogers location to focus resources on them instead. We still serve high-end furniture-loving clients through our other locations in Arizona and California, and on-line through our affliliation with dwri (www.abetica.net). P.S. Our holding company will also continue to produce major events in NWA, including the Pinnacle Hills Art Festival annually at the new Promenade, as well. Thanks again. See everyone soon!

Hi everyone! Thanks for the kind words about Abetica closing our downtown Rogers location. Many clients loved our store, but unfortunately, as you may have read, a number of furniture stores have closed and/or consolidated over the past few weeks in NWA. Because our holding company owns several other retail locations that are better established and far more profitable, we made the difficult decision and closed the downtown Rogers location to focus resources on them instead. We still serve high-end furniture-loving clients through our other locations in Arizona and California, and on-line through our affliliation with dwri (www.abetica.net). P.S. Our holding company will also continue to produce major events in NWA, including the Pinnacle Hills Art Festival annually at the new Promenade, as well. Thanks again. See everyone soon!

Looks like "the design center" of Rogers is quickly going back to what it was...a "non-design center." I still feel that this entire topic is an absurd one and this just confirms it. These people who are already pulling out were the ones who proclaimed this whole design center thing anyway.

College Blvd. in Fayetteville is quickly becoming "the out of business center" for our region. Maybe I will start a forum on that!

One furniture store closing in Rogers doesn't mean anything. Businesses closing down in Rogers are less of a concern than some of the other cities. There's just so much growth in Rogers right now and so many new stores and restaurants opening here that Rogers is bound to start getting a little more attention than it used to. Its amazing how much change has occured in Rogers since I moved to NWA in 1999; in fact, the most change in the metro in this decade has occured in Rogers.

Nevertheless every city in NWA has experienced a very healthy dose of progress and its only natural that people in cities that USED TO BE the center of attention might feel a little threatented, albeit with good reason.

• 4 months later...

Speaking of seeing unusual additions to the NWA nighttime sky (on the NWA Naturals / Arvest Stadium thread) I drove by the Benchmark building in far northeast Rogers and noticed the interior lights on for the first time. Nothing unusual about them (standard lumiline flourescent lighting, albeit with fixtures that have the tubes shine up off the ceiling rather than down on the floor) but when they're all lit up you can see the building for a mile or two off traveling Hudson Drive toward Bentonville. It's a strange sight for that area (even with the PB2 Building nearby) indeed.

• 2 months later...

Archived