Paris Mountain State Park

gs3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be all for turning the area at the base of the towers into a public park. There are some great views from up there...and some bad ones, too. I'd love to see the hillside cleaned up, turned into a park, and see some picnic tables, garbage cans, etc., put in place as permanent fixtures. It could be a very nice park.

Umm... the TV and Radio stations have their towers up their for a reason. Where do you think they could be moved without cutting off interference from the mountain itself? About 20 Years ago I would have suggested glassy mountain but I doubt the cliff's community would like that! Neighboring Hogback Mountain has the WSPA transmitter but I'm not sure how much it would interfere with the other broadcasts.

BTW, I just found a neat site talking about the local broadcast towers.

http://www.fybush.com/site-030605.html

Umm... the TV and Radio stations have their towers up their for a reason. Where do you think they could be moved without cutting off interference from the mountain itself? About 20 Years ago I would have suggested glassy mountain but I doubt the cliff's community would like that! Neighboring Hogback Mountain has the WSPA transmitter but I'm not sure how much it would interfere with the other broadcasts.

BTW, I just found a neat site talking about the local broadcast towers.

http://www.fybush.com/site-030605.html

Don't think I wouldn't love for their to be a Lookout Mountain style park up their. I would love it. if the towers could be relocated and provide the same service that would be great. I know often the more ground based towers use repeaters if they need a greater range and maybe being on a higher elevation keeps from needing this. I'm not a broadcast engineer or anything. I'm pretty sure the SCETV and SCPR tower is still used. If they would relocate their towers in the Greeenville market it might mean more pledge weeks and I don't want to hear about Jerry Baker pouring beer in his garden more than I have to!

BTW, If you get your towers removed I want my tunnel!

I'll probably be the lone freak here that actually likes the towers being up there. Call me crazy....I know they are ugly, but it's always nice to see the lights on the towers when you're headed back into Greenville......either by car or by plane, it's something that lets me know I'm "home". Sounds crazy I know. But I grew in Birmingham where Red Mountain (on the edge of downtown and visible from all of Birmingham) was strung with TV towers. As a kid, always like the red flashing aircraft warning lights. :)

I'll probably be the lone freak here that actually likes the towers being up there. Call me crazy....I know they are ugly, but it's always nice to see the lights on the towers when you're headed back into Greenville......either by car or by plane, it's something that lets me know I'm "home". Sounds crazy I know. But I grew in Birmingham where Red Mountain (on the edge of downtown and visible from all of Birmingham) was strung with TV towers. As a kid, always like the red flashing aircraft warning lights. :)

One of those would be a good compromise. I've always been kind of bummed that good views have been restricted to "special people" i.e. certain high rises that won't allow the public to go to the top or places like Paris Mountain where they have either gated communities or tower locations fenced off. On the backside of Paris Mountain their is Piney "Mountain" that has a really good view be you only see it for a short time while driving by. I wish one of those places would build a nice resteraunt where the diners could enjoy the view.

According to John Cessarich, a meteor was most likely the cause of the blue light and it was burning up in the atmosphere. If you heard a ton of military helicopters tonight like me, don't worry they were just doing night training according to WYFF. Their route runs from the Donaldson Center to the east side of Paris Mountain.

WOW! I guess the thought never crossed my mind that some people may actually like the towers... :shok: I would like to see that area turned into an observation deck - I bet there would be some nice 360 views from there of downtown Greenville and the Blue Ridge.

According to John Cessarich, a meteor was most likely the cause of the blue light and it was burning up in the atmosphere. If you heard a ton of military helicopters tonight like me, don't worry they were just doing night training according to WYFF. Their route runs from the Donaldson Center to the east side of Paris Mountain.

This may seem far fetched, but I'd be all for removing the towers, IF a stunning castle was built in their place. The castle would serve as a mixed-use property, housing a hotel, restaurant with a banquet hall, conference center, luxury spa, and small shops for visitors. Such a place would benefit the city in two ways;
  1. It would utilize one of Greenville's most spectacular natural treasures

2. It would provide yet another destination attraction

I could even see a small (emphasis on small) village being built around the entrance to the castle.

Yes, this is far out, but something I'd definitely be proud of as a citizen. :shades:

EDIT: I meant to include an observation tower in the list of ammenities. This tower would be the signature of the castle, rising high above, with a dramatic spire overhead.

This may seem far fetched, but I'd be all for removing the towers, IF a stunning castle was built in their place. The castle would serve as a mixed-use property, housing a hotel, restaurant with a banquet hall, conference center, luxury spa, and small shops for visitors. Such a place would benefit the city in two ways;
  1. It would utilize one of Greenville's most spectacular natural treasures

2. It would provide yet another destination attraction

I could even see a small (emphasis on small) village being built around the entrance to the castle.

Yes, this is far out, but something I'd definitely be proud of as a citizen. :shades:

EDIT: I meant to include an observation tower in the list of ammenities. This tower would be the signature of the castle, rising high above, with a dramatic spire overhead.

Archived