Paris Mountain State Park

gs3

Here's a thought... although it may be a bit too far-fetched...

I know Paris Mountain is small... but what about a small semi-urban skiing facility? Or perhaps some kind of European sledding facility. Granted the opportunities for operation would be minimal... but these kinds of facilities are typically very easy to use for hiking/biking in the offseason.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Right now, Paris Mountain needs volunteer help to match a trail building grant. If you use the park and you can spare some time to work on trails, come out on one of the scheduled work days.

Saturday July 28 and Sunday 29, 2007

Saturday August 11 and Sunday August 12, 2007

If you are interested, check out my post on Bike Greenville for more information and a contact to RSVP.

http://bikegreenville.blogspot.com/2007/07...s-mountain.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Did some hiking this morning at Paris Mountain. Went into the new office on my way out. Started chatting with the lady in the office, she said Paris Mountain is the fatest growing park in SC in attendance. Apparently the park has been getting numerous request for rental cabins / villas, so those are currently in the works. Said they hope to have them built and rentable within the next year and a half. They are currently in the process of working with a design team on the style of the cabins. :thumbsup::thumbsup: She didn't say the exact number they would have, but thought around 30. Anyone know any additional info?

• 6 months later...
If we want an icon on Paris Mountain, then why not put an Eiffel Tower there? Kinda fits with the name, doesn't it? :) That, combined with other things to do there (regional visitor's center, observation deck, hotel, restaurants), would be great.

This discussion reminds me of Mount Washington in Pittsburgh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_(Pittsburgh)

The draw there is the amazing city views it provides. Why can't we play up the same angle in Greenville with Paris Mountain? The views wouldn't be quite as spectacular due to the distance from downtown, but they would still be great. In addition to a nice park and lookout, there could be restaurants (at least enough to offer people more than one place to eat) and perhaps even some light retail if it became a popular enough destination. I could see this tying in very well with the GO! Center downtown...

I like the restaurant and light retail idea. One thing that I'd ask for is a good link with the GO Center and downtown. Whether it is on rail or wheels, a strong connection in terms of getting there would be huge in determining success, IMO. Also, connecting that same line of transit to Furman would ultimately improve that connect to downtown as well, though I guess the tram trail is suppose to fill that niche.

This discussion reminds me of Mount Washington in Pittsburgh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_(Pittsburgh)

The draw there is the amazing city views it provides. Why can't we play up the same angle in Greenville with Paris Mountain? The views wouldn't be quite as spectacular due to the distance from downtown, but they would still be great. In addition to a nice park and lookout, there could be restaurants (at least enough to offer people more than one place to eat) and perhaps even some light retail if it became a popular enough destination. I could see this tying in very well with the GO! Center downtown...

I like the restaurant and light retail idea. One thing that I'd ask for is a good link with the GO Center and downtown. Whether it is on rail or wheels, a strong connection in terms of getting there would be huge in determining success, IMO. Also, connecting that same line of transit to Furman would ultimately improve that connect to downtown as well, though I guess the tram trail is suppose to fill that niche.

Archived