Tower Records

G-townTN

Has anyone heard what is taking the place of tower records? It would be nice if peabody were able to lure Borders to fill the empty space. To me there seems to be a lot of benefits of having borders down there, but I wonder if it would be supported.

I think a store like this would encourage a more intelectual group to hang around downtown, which in turn might stur more coffee shops to come downtown, and this will give people a reason to walk around during week nights.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought a grocery store like Aldi or Walmart Neighborhood Market would be a great fit for Peabody Place. It'll cause people to be coming in and out continously and it'll probably be cheaper to put a grocery store in a mall than on a corner. Plus, grocery delivery will be a great time saver for the busy professionals who decide to live downtown.

One of my friends works at Borders and said they had been looking at downtown and Collierville as possible locations for a store, but since B&N located at the new mall, they were focusing on downtown...I dunno if they looked at Peabody Place, but it would certainly be a great location!

If a grocery store is the best option, a grocery store that is a little more focused than Kroger or Walmart would seem to be a better fit. Anyone else agree? Fresh Market would seem to fit in the character of the neighborhood better.

Also, a Borders would be nice for the area. It would be nice to have something that leans mor torward the intellectual side of our city. One question I would have though is if it should be a chain. Would most people prefer something more local like Davis Kidd? Or something more like a national chain along the lones of Borders or B&N?

Many cities have grocery stores in or close to their tourist areas. Example: Dominions in Toronto. Nordstand, which is the largest mall in Scandinavia (only 3.5 times larger than Peabody Place) has a couple of grocery stores for tourists. As I said earlier a mall could probably handle subsidizing a grocery store so prices stay down. Why do tourists need grocery stores? Because many convention goers get tired of eating Mc Donalds hashbrowns every morning for an entire week. Come to think of it, I would like to see something on the lines of Krogers downtown. Bakery, cafe, a books section, etc. The travel savy customers could be another market. If MATA can build the airport line, they could probably strike a deal with AMTRAK to allow free transfers from their trains to a MATA trolley. Someone who wants to buy a book to read, some personal items, or some nonperishable food to take onboard the plane (Northwest doesn't feed you as well as they used to :whistling: ) could stop by this store during their short stay in Memphis. Same for Greyhound.

Oh yeah, I'm all for a grocery store DT, my point is simply that that site demands something that itself will bring tourists to Memphis and to DT. A Kroger never brought a single tourist to a city, but Tower Records did (especially on the regional level). I think we'll lose tourist appeal if it's something as common as a grocery store. What neighborhood in America doesn't already have one of those?

You mean you dont like visiting Kroger when visiting other cities? lol j/p. Sure maybe not in the same suite as Tower Records but imo only Peabody Place can handle a grocery store without huge rent prices thus mark ups. Honestly, I dont think tourists will really be bothered with a Kroger in Peabody Place. Seeing a common grocery store in a tourist area didn't make me think any less of Gothenburg or Toronto and I don't see why people would think less of Memphis unless their really really bitter. It'll help more people into the mall itself and create a busier atmosphere.

Archived