GR suggests Metro Gov't

Rizzo

A Metro Government?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should the core cities consolidate into a Metro Government?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe its the architecture of the buildings on Division between 36th and 44th streets. But that's the closest thing to a DT Wyoming seems to have. TMO

Well then where is it? I've never seen a downtown Wyoming. Its only identity to me is that sculpture outside city hall and that water tower. Not much of an identity if you ask me. Not that I'm trying to rain on Wy's parade or anything, but that's the honest to god truth.

It's true that Wyoming does not have a definitive downtown, although they are trying to transform a stretch of 28th street into that. It's going to be a long, long process. Walker's also trying to establish a downtown district as well, and their plan seems pretty straightforward.

Well then where is it? I've never seen a downtown Wyoming. Its only identity to me is that sculpture outside city hall and that water tower. Not much of an identity if you ask me. Not that I'm trying to rain on Wy's parade or anything, but that's the honest to god truth.

Being a fairly recent Grand Rapidian (4 years) who lived in Walker (for 4 years and Muskegon before that), I have always thought that the city of Grand Rapids should include many of the "suburb" areas. I don't know too much about Grandville, but I agree with the posts that EGR may want to remain as they are. I enjoy the "quaintness" of EGR....it reminds me of Saugutuck or even downtown Rockford. But Walker, Wyoming and Kentwood? I've never understood why they have to be seperate.

They have to be separate because of the fragmented anti urban attitude of the suburbanites. Back in the 60's when most of those communities were incorporated there was an us vs them attitude about Grand Rapids, people thought the core city was to powerful, so they formed these cities with little to no identity, to prevent Grand Rapids from annexing. You can also blame the state of Michigan for it's anti growth laws concerning annexation, along with it's invention of Charter townships.

I'm suprised noone has said to much about Plainfield Twp being absorbed into this new gov't. It's just as urban as some of the other communities mentioned.

That's a great article. If the Freep is talking about it, perhaps the wheels are turning and something may actually happen. What would it be like if Michigan's Core cities, gained the land area of their national counterparts.

Down with fragemented regionalism! It's tearing Michigan apart.

This is true, U.S. Census data shows the township's population in 2000 to be 41,658. According to studies done by GVMC that number is expected to increase to 57, 431 by the year 2025!

I have some data comparing where the Township ranked in terms of population in 2000 with other communities and where its projected 2025 population would have it ranked in the same census. I don't know the significance of doing so, I think I wanted to prove that either way the Township has a significant population and should retire its philosophy of being a bedroom community, stop the sprawling, and re-develop already built areas.

If you really want to play the numbers game you could combine Ottawa County's major cities (Holland, Grand Haven) and combine it with their respective township(s) population. That would look like this using Census 2000 data:

Consolidated Holland (City and Township) = 63,959

*This does not include Park Township

Consolidated Grand Havey (City and Township) = 24,446

And if you're playing this game you ultimately have to start considering the situations of Hudsonville and Allendale as well.

But I digress.

The reason why I voted no, was becuase I don't want to see large sigle squares of cities that are blending communities and their recognition and history.

I am all for consolidation of certain areas to show for example the urban areas of a recognized community by its citizens for example expanding Rockford city limits further into the development in the surrounding townships to better represent the actual community. But I don't want to see just a bunch of townships that incorporate just for the sake of a city or merge to become one large city like Louisville did. To me it would be just asinine if say Allandale incorporated the township and is a large 36 square mile square city that the majority of the land is farms.

I see what you're saying. But places like Wyoming did simply that. I'd say Wyoming and Kentwood have no sense of community other than to say that they are suburbs. They only have a name dating back to the 60's. Michigan cities are at a serious disadvantage. Phoenix is 480mi sq. that's about the size of a small county. Tucson is 200sq mi. If you were to expand michigan cities, to those sizes. They'd better represent their metropolitan areas. It would be silly to have a city that's 36mi sq with only 10k people in it.

I truly believe that if Detroits suburbs could get over themselves, and work with the city to better the region. Southeastern Michigans problems would be manageable, maybe even better. If there were less governments less voices, less argueing to preserve the quality of and Identity-less, character free suburb. Detroit might even be able to dig itself out. Even so, say that Kentwood and GR were to consolidate into a single city. There are still things that could be done to distinguish the Kentwood part from the GR part. There's to reason to assume that a community would cease to exist simply because it's part of a larger gov't. It's more than just changeing boundaries. It's about moving the economy of the state forward.

Archived