Detroit INTERNATIONAL Airport?

splbrgmi

Can someone please tell me why it's not called that. Most major city airports are "something" international airport. Infact, the name of the city itself is hardly included. JFK international, Pearson international, O'Hare. Why is Detroit any diffrent. "Detroit metro airport" sounds lame and boring. I vote for Coleman A Young international airport..... NOT.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The official name of the airport is Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport with Detroit Metropolitan International Airport being an unofficial and much less used name. Despite it being rather straight forward, I think it's kind of classy. Even the shorthand name, Detroit Metro, sounds kind of cool. I think this is a perfect example of simple being best.

The history of the name comes from the fact that the airport was originally called Wayne County Airport. It was changed to Detroit-Wayne Major Airport right after the war in 1947, and finally Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport in 1958.

I dont like the name "Metro" in an airports name......in Columbia, SC the airport is called "Columbia Metropolitan Airport" and i think its stupid because its not classy, and its not an international airport, which means that its small and not elite.......Charlotte-Douglas International, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International, Boston-Logan International, JFK International, Laguardia International, LAX International, all those sound very nice, and makes you feel like you are in a major city.

Thank you, that was exactly my point, but no one here seems to get it. Metro sounds like a county airport or something, and adding Wayne County to makes it compete with Oakland, when it shouldn't. This is an international airport and should be called so. Detroit is one of the most major cities in the U.S., I think it's innapropriate that Grand Rapids has a premier world class name for their airport and we don't.

Detroit International Airport or Kwame M Kilpatrick International Airpot. Take your pick.

A poe-dunk county airport would be called something like Gaylord REGIONAL Airport, for instance. And, in case you didnt know, the airport is operated by the WAYNE COUNTY airport Authority.

The name doesnt matter, its the facility. DTW is one of the largest and best airports in the world. It doesnt matter that GR's airport has international in its name. Flints airport does, too. But you know what? Detroits airport is better.

splbrgmi,

Are you here for a debate or just for agreement? I must say, you're awfully aggressive and opinionated for a newbie, and, perhaps, you should tone that down a bit.

If you ask me 'Metropolitan' or 'Metro' is just as equally cosmopolitan a word in the urban lexicon as 'International.' I think it more than portrays an urban image, and most people don't view the word "Metro" as something unrefined, in fact, it's quite the opposite. Viewing "Metro" as something "country" is the exception, here, not the rule. The whole definition of the world points to it cosmopolitan:

1. Of or constituting a large city or urbanized area, including adjacent suburbs and towns

2. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a major city

In fact, I think you could even make a good argument for "Metropolitan" being more cosmopolitan a word than "International."

What I love the most about airports with the "international" title attached to it, say for instance Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids, is that there are absolutly no international flights to or from it (well, maybe cargo). The international title makes little sense. Michigan has fourteen commercial airports with International airports at Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Saginaw-Bay City-Midland, Kalamazoo and Soo St. Marie and yet only one, Detroit, actually flies Internationaly.

Just some proof that the name matters very little.

What I love the most about airports with the "international" title attached to it, say for instance Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids, is that there are absolutly no international flights to or from it (well, maybe cargo). The international title makes little sense. Michigan has fourteen commercial airports with International airports at Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Saginaw-Bay City-Midland, Kalamazoo and Soo St. Marie and yet only one, Detroit, actually flies Internationaly.

Just some proof that the name matters very little.

OK, I'll correct you. You are wrong. A airport can be designated an International airport once it has been given that title for customs purposes and it means that a flight originating from outside of the United States does not have to get special permission to land at that airport from Immigration and Customs officials. Permission does have to be given to customs officials if there are none located at the airport in advance so that they will be made available to check the passengers or cargo.

This comes from the Federal Aviation Administration:

Officially designated International airports are any airport that provides US Customs/Immigration services for arriving aircraft.

Unofficially designated International airports are those airports with the name International in the title but have no such services provided by US Customs/Immigration. Nothing prohibits the practice of naming an airport "international", but it is discouraged by the FAA, and without the official designation, the airport will have no international status.

Here is the link, in case anyone wondered.

FAA

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I'll correct you. You are wrong. A airport can be designated an International airport once it has been given that title for customs purposes and it means that a flight originating from outside of the United States does not have to get special permission to land at that airport from Immigration and Customs officials. Permission does have to be given to customs officials if there are none located at the airport in advance so that they will be made available to check the passengers or cargo.

This comes from the Federal Aviation Administration:

Officially designated International airports are any airport that provides US Customs/Immigration services for arriving aircraft.

Unofficially designated International airports are those airports with the name International in the title but have no such services provided by US Customs/Immigration. Nothing prohibits the practice of naming an airport "international", but it is discouraged by the FAA, and without the official designation, the airport will have no international status.

Here is the link, in case anyone wondered.

FAA

Archived