Urban Planet mentioned in local paper

Mith242

Was I the only one who noticed Urban Planet mentioned in the Northwest Arkansas Times today? Great that we got a little recognition although at the same time it wasn't the most positive way. Someone wrote into the editorial section and mentioned some things that were said about Hillcrest Towers. But it's not too surprising not everyone that checks us out is necessarily a fan of development. She didn't sound angry or spiteful. But she did mention that Hillcrest was her home and she was worried about everyone talking about the possible uses of it other than it's current use. But that's expected, even though many of us are pro-development we might feel a little different if our home was being demolished for a new road. I don't mean to sound cold or harsh but I'm afraid I still stand on my previous assessment. Just as was mention by Dover-Kohl. While Hillcrest Tower and City Hospital provide important functions in our city that land is being underutilized. Redevelopment of that land would better connect Dickson St to the Mill District. Both of these properties are to the north and south of the Fayetteville Public Library. I still like the idea of having an arts district develop there. Sure if we managed to bring in a Smithsonian affiliated museum it could be built somewhere else like on East Joyce or over in west Fayetteville. But isn't the whole thing about the City 2025 Plan decided was that the city needed to cut down on sprawl? That would mean infilling and redeveloping areas further central in the city. I like the idea of having a walkable part of the city connecting Dickson St and the Mill District. Also there's the WAC Parking lot and future parking deck that will also be close to this area. I'm certainly not saying these people need to be put out on the street. But I still have to agree with the Dover-Kohl group and say the functions these two areas provide would be better suited in another area of the city. Those two locations are prime spots for redevelopment. Anyway did anyone else see this in the paper or has anything to say about it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway just being mentioned I think will help get more people aware of us. Granted they might not be development fans. If only we could get a break like Grand Rapids got. But I think there's wasn't from print media. By the way I recognized some of the quotes in there. I can't place them with specific people. Although I did recognize one of my quotes in there.

This is the first place I go to, to see what all is happening in NWA. Mostly development wise, but there's still a lot of other news that goes around on here. I can still remember when I first found out about the Promenade. I googled it and UP was I think 2nd or 3rd on the list. So that's how it all began for me. I've been loving every bit of this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NWA newsmedia starts attacking UP because it's a threat to them. You can usually find information about developments on UP months ahead of the general newsmedia. But, for the most part much of what is posted on UP is opinions, rumors, and speculation and wouldn't make it past the editorial stage of general newsmedia.

I've always wondered if many of our guests are people who aren't pro development but are still checking us out to keep up on things. I think we all know there are probably a number of people in our metro who aren't pro development and want to keep our metro with more of a 'small town' feel. If we can keep the NWA forum I imagine there could be a point where there is more discussion between pro development people and non development people. But either way I'm still glad to see us get a mention in one of the newspapers.

Oh no, I started reading this article yesterday morning and only got a few lines into it before the phone rang, but I never got back to finishing it. Still, I have been on here for just over a year and have noticed that it NWAs section have probably doubled or more in size. :yahoo:

Is that really the type publicity that UP wants? It makes the members out to be cold, heartless snobs. The letter is a lot more effective at its goal than an angry, spiteful one would be, especially in a city like Fayetteville. Remember, this is a city that is spending millions for homeless support. Trying to forcefully take the home of "the poor,the elderly, the disabled and the powerless" is a sure way to give the idea of redevelopment of Hillcrest by the private sector a black eye.

It will bring more visitors to the site, which I guess is the ultimate goal.

Is that really the type publicity that UP wants? It makes the members out to be cold, heartless snobs. The letter is a lot more effective at its goal than an angry, spiteful one would be, especially in a city like Fayetteville. Remember, this is a city that is spending millions for homeless support. Trying to forcefully take the home of "the poor,the elderly, the disabled and the powerless" is a sure way to give the idea of redevelopment of Hillcrest by the private sector a black eye.

It will bring more visitors to the site, which I guess is the ultimate goal.

I don't feel that she portrayed UP that badly. She didn't sound that angry towards our quotes on here. To me she sounded like she wants to keep her home and hopes that someone will fix up Hillcrest some so that it might dissuade talks of redeveloping it for other purposes. Although I still think the biggest problem is that that property for it and the City Hospital has a lot of potential for other uses.

In being self-reflective, Urban Planet posts (including mine) for NWA do seem biased towards any development and any beautification that seems more luxury or upscale in nature. At least that is what my wife tells me. I would agree that Hillcrest is an eyesore, but I think its function is agreeable to my view of urbanization and I'm not opposed to it.

However, still the site serves a new vital role of discussion and information exchange that is valuable to news agencies in the form of internet chat. It's kind of a cheap way to poll community interest and conflicts.

I don't feel that she portrayed UP that badly. She didn't sound that angry towards our quotes on here. To me she sounded like she wants to keep her home and hopes that someone will fix up Hillcrest some so that it might dissuade talks of redeveloping it for other purposes. Although I still think the biggest problem is that that property for it and the City Hospital has a lot of potential for other uses.

I hope you and mcheiss are right. It just struck as putting UP in a negative light, as in the messenger being blamed instead of the message. I imagine if a nice new facility was built somewhere downtown to replace it most residents wouldn't have a problem moving.

Since we are on the subject, I wonder if Hillcrest redevelopment would involve a new building or just renovating that one?

That is, if there has even been any discussion of it. I've always thought the height and bulk of that building made a nice backdrop for the Dickson St. area,especially at night. Right now it is showing it's age and neglect, even a good pressure cleaning would do wonders.

Archived