Urban Planet mentioned in local paper

Mith242

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a side note to Hillcrest Towers, that piece of land held Fayetteville High School. At least that is what I had heard years ago. I don't know what years it was located there and when it moved to its current location but a little history anyway.

I consider myself to be pro-development and definitely think Hillcrest should stay open. Yeah it's a dump but something like it is quite necessary. I don't get the comments that say the tower should be moved, the land is underutilized, etc. The tower has hundreds of people living there y'all--it ain't underutilized.

And why move it to another part of town? It's in a central part of town, near two bus routes, near the library, etc. If I were a low-income person I would think it's not a bad area of town to live in at all.

There are plenty of other abandoned and vacant lots where infill can be done without displacing the aged and disabled.

I consider myself to be pro-development and definitely think Hillcrest should stay open. Yeah it's a dump but something like it is quite necessary. I don't get the comments that say the tower should be moved, the land is underutilized, etc. The tower has hundreds of people living there y'all--it ain't underutilized.

And why move it to another part of town? It's in a central part of town, near two bus routes, near the library, etc. If I were a low-income person I would think it's not a bad area of town to live in at all.

There are plenty of other abandoned and vacant lots where infill can be done without displacing the aged and disabled.

I can see that argument but I can't say I agree with it. I don't think it has to be moved to another part of town but I still think that particular piece of property is being underutilized in it's current form. Suppose 5 years into the future Dickson St is still taking off with development. The parking deck near the WAC is complete and helping even more growth occur. Development is going to eventually lead off of Dickson St to somewhere else. I still think spaces between Dickson and the Mill District will be prime for future development. But even taking that aside, I think we are going to have to start looking at things like this. So many people have said we don't want suburban growth so that means we have to find areas further inside the city. I think a lot of us would like to see College Ave redeveloped rather than some other areas like Hillcrest. Maybe we need to find ways to try to steer future growth that direction. Although sometimes that's easier said than done.

$$$ steers the growth. If the city has to decide one or the other they'll turn Hillcrest into an "upscale" condo and move the low-income people to the outskirts of the city. If it didn't cost so much money they would then build a wall around the "upscale" city center and put up signs that say "Affluents Only".

There will be a new book on Fayetteville history published later this year. 200 images + text.

When I asked the author to recommend a good Fayetteville history book he suggested that I visit the Fayetteville public library and browse their selection to determine which to purchase. I also know someone that moved here a couple of years ago and found Fayetteville history books at the UA Press on campus. (In the McIroy rock house just southeast of Yocum Hall.) Both of these locations are on my "to do" list to visit soon and I can't believe I don't already own one.

The Headquarters House on east Dickson Street also has some history in print. It's been years since I've been there and I remember it all being skewed to the Civil War. It would probably be worth a visit.

Archived